YA Addicted Book Club discussion

Books! > Best and Worst of Webtoon

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 4740 comments Mod
A place to discuss the good and the bad of Webtoon
https://www.webtoons.com/en/

The existence of this site was brought to my attention by Karina! And it seems like a bunch of people are enjoying it so I figured lets give out recs and save each other from the less than stellar ones.

message 2: by Teodora (new)

Teodora  | 359 comments First things first, Lore Olympus must definitely be on the good side of Webtoon because the whole story was simply addictive

message 3: by Meagan (new)

Meagan (meaganmcnorman) | 4 comments Lore Olympus is so good! I think Let's Play is pretty addictive, too.

I wish I knew some great ones that are already finished? Waiting each week for LO made me wish I found it years from now.

message 4: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

Liliana (lililostinabook) | 2257 comments Mod
Is this just a site of free web comics? ARE they free? I don't even know 😂

message 5: by Gord (new)

Gord | 564 comments Yes they are free. I've been reading comics on there for a year or two now. I'll update this with some of the things I read when I get home.

message 6: by Meagan (new)

Meagan (meaganmcnorman) | 4 comments Liliana wrote: "Is this just a site of free web comics? ARE they free? I don't even know 😂"

Haha it is! There's also WebComics app. All of the comics are free and authors upload a chapter a week.

message 7: by Mackenzie :) (new)

Mackenzie :) (book_girl_777) | 184 comments yeah all are free but if you want to use something called a fast pass your able to buy coins for it and get the episode before it comes out for everyone else.

message 8: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

Liliana (lililostinabook) | 2257 comments Mod
Ohh that's awesome! I'll definitely check it out, especially LO! I love me some Greek mythology! 💜

message 9: by Mackenzie :) (new)

Mackenzie :) (book_girl_777) | 184 comments @Meagan I've been reading let's play and really like it! for some reason I ship Sam with Marshall because of how much they have in common but I really love Monica's character. what do you think? ( also I'm just not a big fan of charles...)

message 10: by Meagan (new)

Meagan (meaganmcnorman) | 4 comments Mackenzie :) wrote: "@Meagan I've been reading let's play and really like it! for some reason I ship Sam with Marshall because of how much they have in common but I really love Monica's character. what do you think? ( ..."

I'm so excited to see some let's play appreciation out there! I think (view spoiler)

message 11: by Mackenzie :) (new)

Mackenzie :) (book_girl_777) | 184 comments I agree!
(View spoiler)[ I agree with not seeing Monoca and Marshall long term. I wasn't a Monica fan at first but she's the character that has grown on me. I would love to see Marshall and Sam together because they are the two I routed for in the beginning. I love how they connect over games and how sam is always there for him and how he has always been there for her with his videos. I didn't like Charles in the beginning but now that I see all that he is doing for sam he is also starting to grow on me. I gotta say, link and Angela together will put my heart at ease. they are secretly made for each other❤. what do you think? (Hide spoiler)]

message 12: by Meagan (new)

Meagan (meaganmcnorman) | 4 comments Mackenzie :) wrote: "I agree!
(View spoiler)[ I agree with not seeing Monoca and Marshall long term. I wasn't a Monica fan at first but she's the character that has grown on me. I would love to see Marshall and Sam to..."

(view spoiler)

message 13: by L.C. (last edited Jul 13, 2020 05:26PM) (new)

L.C. Perry | 40 comments Yessss a thread appreciating Webtoon! My favorites are definitely Let's Play and True beauty. I'm keeping up with both of them weekly but I do agree that i wish I waited until they were completed lol. They're really addicting!

I've read Bastard which is reallyyyy good. If you're into thriller with some horror elements, definitely give this a try! The story and characters are great, the artwork amazing, and it's completed. I'm also reading Sweet Home who has the same author as Bastard. Sweet Home is also really good! It's more on the horror side and it's currently ongoing.

I need to get back to A Good Day to Be a Dog and Save Me - BTS Webtoon. Both are good as well

I've started Not Even Bones because I'm also reading the novel for it so i figured why not read the comic at the same time lol

I'm interested in starting Midnight Poppy Land and Castle Swimmer. Has anyone read these?

message 14: by Gord (new)

Gord | 564 comments Here are the things that I currently read on Webtoon

Let's Play - There is a lot of praise here for it so I don't have a lot to add to it.

I Love Yoo - A Korean drama that has been a very good read

Watermelon - An interesting little fantasy/drama series

Chocco Latte - This is an interesting romance series. There are no speech bubbles. It's all told through the art. A little confusing at time but super sweet.

Acception - A teenage drama with lots of inclusive characters. It's interesting.

My Giant Nerd Boyfriend - This is a slice of life one and can range from hilarious to some really heartfelt moments.

Saphie: The One-Eyed Cat - Hilarious life about the artists life with four cats

Murrz - More slice of life.

Hooves of Death: Post apocalyptic tale with zombies and unicorns. I've kind of mellowed on this one a bit.

Axed - I'll be honest I've thought about dropping this one more than a few times. The humor is really hit and miss for me.

Erma - A super sweet horror story. You read that right. Super sweet horror. Erma is the daughter of a normal human and essentially the ghost from The Ring. Erma is just adorable. It's a mixture of stand alone strips and story lines. The horror elements come from who the characters are more than it actually being horror.

The God of High School - I've read the entirety of part one and need to get back to this series at some point in time. This is an amazing martial arts story. Be warned this is a really, really long series. It currently has 470 chapters and updates every Friday.

Girls of the Wild - This series is finished now and I have very mixed feelings about it. It starts out super great but about half way through it kind of starts to become meh and the end was pretty unsatisfying my opinion. It's about a young man who is the first male to be accepted to all female school. This is not a normal school though as they specialize in martial arts.

Big Jo - This one just finished up today ... maybe. It's a romance drama and I'll be be honest here. Season one was great. Season two wasn't as great. It kind of went of the rails and lost the charm of season one.

message 15: by Mackenzie :) (new)

Mackenzie :) (book_girl_777) | 184 comments @Meagan & L.C. Perry: My favorite webtoon is Freaking romance. It is SO good. And since you guys like let's play (and true beauty which I've
also read) than you will definitely like freaking romance.

I've just started reading Sweet home and glad itx on the horror thirller side. I've been reading a lot of romance and needed a change of pace. also if you like horror you should try out Uriah and Gremoryland. they are both ongoing and are horror.

If you like Zombies you should definitely read Rot and ruin. it's also one of my favorites on webtoon. so is Not even bones and I'm so glad you mentioned it.

I've just started Adamsville which is kind of a horror. dont know what to think about it yet but it looked good.

I've named off some of the horror and thriller genres but you probably dont just want to read that. there are some of the heartwarming and comedy ones that keep me laughing. dome of the names are Cursed princess club, The Kiss bet and unlovable Replacement. they are all adorable.

also another thriller is My deepest secret (and I kind of have a crush on Yonan Lee. lol) is AMAZING

and for SI-FI I've read Eggnoid. it was the first webtoon I've read and is really good. it's not as popular ad it used to be but I highly suggest it.

as you can tell I love webtoon and I'm addicted to it. :)

message 16: by L.C. (new)

L.C. Perry | 40 comments @Mackenzie Thanks so much for the recs! :D

I've been interested in starting My deepest Secret and Cursed Princess club so I'm so happy to hear good things about them. Same with Freaking Romance

Yayyy another Sweet Home reader! And omg thank you for giving me more horror recs! I haven't been seeing too many of these so i didn't know where to start

message 17: by Saanvi (new)

Saanvi (saanvi3) A completely underrated webtoon would be “Odd Girl Out” it’s about 4 girls who became friends but their struggles and how friendship helped them over come it.

message 18: by Musabbihah (new)

Musabbihah | 81 comments I'm reading Purple Hyacinth and it's really good. Has anyone tried it?

message 19: by Allissa (new)

Allissa Horn (honeybeez1991) | 3 comments My favorite is Freaking Romance by Snailords

message 20: by Mel (new)

Mel (aambrozy) | 16 comments the best do far: Heartstopper (idk if it cout), Cheese in the trap, Oh! Holly, Hooky, about death, The Wolf & Red Riding Hood, girls of the wild (2 season was worse but I still like IT), Winter Woods ( season1)

the worst: My Boo, My dear cold-blooded King

I started it while ago and idk if I want to come back to them: I don't want this kind of hero, The badguys, god of the bath, sweet home, soul cartel, Duty after school, nano list

let me know if you want to discuss Amy of these.
I also read some 3 and 2 stars, which were okey or just numb.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

The best ones I've read that are completed are probably Flow, Annarasumanara, It's A Good Day To Be A Dog, and Cheese in the Trap. Bastard was surprisingly really good too! An ongoing best series would probably be Lore Olympus (obviously), although I also really love Nice To Meet You. (I Love Yoo is currently on hiatus :(()
The worst ones would probably be Ecstasy Hearts and Freaking Romance (yikes- well it isn't really that bad, but the last parts really ruined it for me). Ooh, and this is going to be an unpopular opinion but I just can't get into Oh! Holy :((

message 22: by Mel (new)

Mel (aambrozy) | 16 comments *any

message 23: by Mel (new)

Mel (aambrozy) | 16 comments @Rea I agree tha Ecstasy Hearts was one of the worst. Oh! Holly on the other hand is really spacific do if you don't like chaotic comis it is probably bot for you. I also like a Good Day to be a dog but the ending was little confusing for me. Also nice to meet you is really good but i feel like something is missing so I hope season 2 will be better.

message 24: by Mel (new)

Mel (aambrozy) | 16 comments *so (not do) **not (not bot)
I'm really sorry but my autocorrect is mess because English isn't my first language

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Amelia wrote: "@Rea I agree tha Ecstasy Hearts was one of the worst. Oh! Holly on the other hand is really spacific do if you don't like chaotic comis it is probably bot for you. I also like a Good Day to be a do..."

IKR! Like I initially read it because I thought the art was stunning, but the storyline reminds me so much of a bad Wattpad fan fiction **cringes**. Contrary to popular belief (LOL), I love chaotic characters as much as I love awkward ones, but I do think Oh! Holy was too chaotic for me but I'm glad you like it :) I actually liked Bo Gum a lot in A Good Day to be a Dog, which is probably why I ended up liking the webtoon more than I should've (and also the fact that I read it while I was on book slump). Nice To Meet You actually has a very simple premise in season 1, which is probably why it felt like something missing, but I'm a real sucker for fluff sooo- but yeah, hopefully season 2 ups its game and we get an overall really good story :))

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Amelia wrote: "*so (not do) **not (not bot)
I'm really sorry but my autocorrect is mess because English isn't my first language"

You have absolutely nothing to apologize for! English isn't really my first language too, and our professor tells us all the time when we mess up that speaking a second language in itself is actually an accomplishment to be proud of- so yeah, you're doing okay ^^

message 27: by Mel (new)

Mel (aambrozy) | 16 comments I completely agree Ecstasy Hearts gives some wattpad x episode(shity app, if you don't know what it is you have luck) vibes and also the story was do messed up like I was hopeing for some tenis drama but there was barely anything about it. I can't wait for season 2 of Nice to met you and I hope it will only gets better. I really like first one but i feel like it is only some kind of intruducion (idk if thats make sense)

message 28: by Mel (new)

Mel (aambrozy) | 16 comments Rae wrote: "Amelia wrote: "*so (not do) **not (not bot)
I'm really sorry but my autocorrect is mess because English isn't my first language"

You have absolutely nothing to apologize for! English isn't really ..."

thank you! also feel free to correct if I made any mistakes :)

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Amelia wrote: "I completely agree Ecstasy Hearts gives some wattpad x episode(shity app, if you don't know what it is you have luck) vibes and also the story was do messed up like I was hopeing for some tenis dra..."

I have the misfortune of viewing ads from Episode whenever I go to YouTube, I thankfully did not install it at all (surprisingly enough, I play a lot of stimulation games back then and I just never installed that particular app- what a luck). I was hoping for some tennis drama too but they focused so much on Anya and Axel (LOL did I spell his name right?) and I would've been completely okay with that if they weren't so toxic. My heart honestly broke when I read Chapter 40 of NTMY, I did not expect the music to play so well with the panels that it was just so K-drama like! I totally get what you mean though, there are still a lot to cover in Season 2 and hopefully the author delivers well~

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

**simulation, I meant simulation LOL

message 31: by Mel (new)

Mel (aambrozy) | 16 comments Rae wrote: "Amelia wrote: "I completely agree Ecstasy Hearts gives some wattpad x episode(shity app, if you don't know what it is you have luck) vibes and also the story was do messed up like I was hopeing for..."
i agree they were really toxic for exaple Axel just kissed her without asking or anything and it wasn't ok she even said that (if I remeber it right). Also whole plot with them was a little confusing and weird.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Amelia wrote: "Rae wrote: "Amelia wrote: "I completely agree Ecstasy Hearts gives some wattpad x episode(shity app, if you don't know what it is you have luck) vibes and also the story was do messed up like I was..."

That is so true! I don't remember that part but it's def not surprising, since the majority of the webtoon all Axel was doing was manipulating Anya's feelings. Also, I think what Axel needed was def therapy more than anything LOL I think it also sucks that's Anya's goals literally depends on Axel, like she so easily thinks about giving up training just because she and Axel had a falling out or something. Now that I think about it, I cannot believe I actually finished that webtoon. I can't believe we both read that one- we survived tho so yeyy

message 33: by Mel (new)

Mel (aambrozy) | 16 comments same like I'm actually surprised that I finished it without struggling. all my thoughts came up when i was thinking about review and rating

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Amelia wrote: "same like I'm actually surprised that I finished it without struggling. all my thoughts came up when i was thinking about review and rating"

Ecstasy Hearts is just a dumpster fire that I don't want to dive in ever again, I wouldn't even recommend it to my enemies LOL

message 35: by Mel (new)

Mel (aambrozy) | 16 comments Same! I can't imagine that someone finished it and said well it was really good comics like that's impossible XD