NetGalley Addicts Support Group discussion

Netgalley App

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 12 comments What are your opinions of the new app? I can’t select the ebook option on downloads and PDFs are no easier to read on the app than any other device. Actually I find they’re often better on the Kindle. Also, the PDFs only scroll on the app and I hate that when reading!

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 66 comments I'm not even sure I can download it. I have a 2(?) year old ipod and it says it needs 13 or something higher software. -.-

The Kawaii Slartibartfast (thekawaiislartibartfast) | 46 comments yeah, I tried it. The Kindle PDF conversion is very food, yeah.
I don't like the app at all but it's the first run so hopefully the bugs will be worked out.

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 12 comments Hmmm. Two years old should be able to update to the latest iOS.

It’s quite funny following the NetGalley threads on Facebook and Twitter...people do hate change and new things! I figure it’s new and there will be amendments and improvements.

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 66 comments I just tried. I don't think my ipod is older than 3 years but I have a terrible memory. I know it's still quite recent.

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 66 comments I have version 12.4.7

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 12 comments Does it tell you it’s up to date or that there are updates available?

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 66 comments I just downloaded the 12.4.7.

I think it's because I have an original 6th gen. I did a bit of research and I don't think I'll be able to download it. 🤦‍♀️😭🤷🏻‍♀️

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 66 comments Just another thing I have learned. I don't know if it's just this one person's experience or not but someone in another group I'm in tried to download the android and she couldn't because she is from France. So it might not be available to all countries.

The Kawaii Slartibartfast (thekawaiislartibartfast) | 46 comments I wish geolocking could die a quick death.

message 11: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 66 comments The Kawaii Slartibartfast wrote: "I wish geolocking could die a quick death."

?

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 80 comments Anna 'Bookbuyer' wrote: "The Kawaii Slartibartfast wrote: "I wish geolocking could die a quick death."

?"

Not being able to download apps because of where they are in the world

message 13: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 66 comments Ah. I thought that might be it but I'm not familiar with a lot of the new tech terms. :)

message 14: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 7 comments I have downloaded it OK but it won't let me sign in. anyone else had this problem ?

message 15: by Svetlana (new)

Svetlana Tishchenko | 2 comments Does anyone has problems downloading Audio books on Netgalley Shelf? I am trying to download one book and it is taking me hours... and 3 attempts so far

message 16: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (last edited Jul 29, 2020 06:22PM) (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 66 comments Svetlana wrote: "Does anyone has problems downloading Audio books on Netgalley Shelf? I am trying to download one book and it is taking me hours... and 3 attempts so far"

I found turning off the 'sleep' mode of your device helped. I had the same problem as you. I tried multiple times to download and it still took me almost an hour without sleep mode on but it did eventually download.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) | 477 comments I had no problems at all and my book downloaded in less than five minutes. I do have a brand new iPhone SE so perhaps on some older devices the app isn’t working properly. I have 4 Goodreads friends who haven’t had any problems though and their phones were older

message 18: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn (mjk113) | 2 comments I have no problems on my I-pad.

message 19: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 66 comments I have the ipad mini 5th gen and had problems. :(

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) | 477 comments Anna 'Bookbuyer' wrote: "I have the ipad mini 5th gen and had problems. :("

What were the problems? Slow to download? Have you updated your device? You probably already have?

message 21: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 66 comments Dorie - Cats&Books :) wrote: "Anna 'Bookbuyer' wrote: "I have the ipad mini 5th gen and had problems. :("

What were the problems? Slow to download? Have you updated your device? You probably already have?"

It's brand new. Not even a month old. So I don't think there are any updates available. It just took a really long time to download. The sleep thing was a major part of it but maybe my internet is slow? Like there are many different factors that could be the problem. 🤷🏻‍♀️

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 94 comments “Maybe my internet is slow”.

I would wager that’s probably the number one factor. You weren’t on a cell network or anything right? Definitely wifi?

Did you close other open apps and make sure nothing else was updating (maybe automatically) at the same time? The only other think I can think is if others on the same WiFi were streaming or downloading large files too.

message 23: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (last edited Jul 29, 2020 07:16PM) (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 66 comments Yup definitely wi-fi.

I'm not sure about open apps or updating. I don't think anyone else was streaming or downloading large files but who knows? I'll remember to check for that next time I try to download. ^_^

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 94 comments I know my daughters iPad is set to update apps automatically. The app is usually greyed out and then colors in like if a clock hand was moving from the 12 position if that makes any sense.

I don’t think closing the apps would actually effect it that much but you can double tap the home button and swipe up to close apps. Sorry I’m not more help. Could just be a huge file too.

message 25: by Svetlana (new)

Svetlana Tishchenko | 2 comments thank you all for your comments. I use Samsung tablet for NetGalley. I restarted the tablet. I use Wi-Fi... It took me over an hour to download 1 book after 5 or 6 unsuccessful attempts.
Have fun reading you all))

message 26: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 66 comments Sarah wrote: "I know my daughters iPad is set to update apps automatically. The app is usually greyed out and then colors in like if a clock hand was moving from the 12 position if that makes any sense.

I don’..."

Ah yes. I have seen that when I manually update. I didn't know they did it automatically though.

Thanks!

Maybe? It was this one Blood & Ash (The Jezebel Files, #1) by Deborah Wilde

message 27: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresacrider) | 5 comments The app seems okay for times when waiting somewhere. Otherwise, I haven't really used it. I wanted to try audiobook on it but was declined for the only one I am interested (a book I intend to buy anyway: Raybeareer). Make audiobooks download--would be more efficient. Mehhh XD

message 28: by Susan (new)

Susan Underbrink | 24 comments I can't get the app to actually finish downloading audiobooks!! I am sad it's probably my Wi-Fi but still makes me sad

message 29: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 36 comments One thing I do like about the app is the ability to read those books, like cookbooks, that are not Kindle or PDF. Although one thing I do forget is, when reading cookbooks, putting them in my Goodreads and putting my thoughts in NetGalley. I have done that with two cookbooks so far so I am doing that now. Feel bad because after-the-fact but am getting it done. They are books! Now off to finish the reviews with my head hanging.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Blood & Ash (other topics)