YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Contagious (The Contagium #1)
This topic is about Contagious
GROUP BUDDY READ > Contagious (The Contagium #1) by Emily Goodwin - MMC GBR - Starting August 1st 2020

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 22812 comments Mod

"I wasn’t afraid of death. If I died, it would be over. My worst fear wasn’t of dying, it was of living. Living, while everyone around me had their flesh savagely torn from their bodies to be shoved into the festering and ever-hungry mouths of zombies. It terrified me, right down to my very core, to be alive while the rest of the world was dead."

During the Second Great Depression, twenty-four year old Orissa Penwell is forced to drop out of college when she is no longer able to pay for classes. Unable to find a job, she moves in with her aunt in Indianapolis. Down on her luck, Orissa doesn’t think she can go any lower.

She couldn’t be more wrong. A virus breaks out across the country, leaving the infected crazed, aggressive and very hungry.

Orissa is used to only being responsible for herself. When she finds herself a reluctant leader of a group of survivors, she must make a choice: set aside her issues and help the others or go off alone in search of her own family and friends.

Contagious (The Contagium #1) by Emily Goodwin will be our 3rd GBR for August 2020.

Please read at your own pace, and hide any spoilers ☺ You are welcome to join at any time during the month ☺

Happy Reading Everybody!

All four books in this series can be read on this thread -
Contagious (The Contagium #1) by Emily Goodwin Deathly Contagious (The Contagium #2) by Emily Goodwin Contagious Chaos (The Contagium #3) by Emily Goodwin The Truth is Contagious (The Contagium, #4) by Emily Goodwin

Please clearly label which book you are reading when posting your comments.

Our MMC GBR review thread can be found here -https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Pre-Reading Questions -

Anybody got any thoughts on this one before we start?

Has anyone read anything similar to this before?

Anybody read anything else by this author previously?

Jamie | 11129 comments Anybody got any thoughts on this one before we start?
Zombies-YAY. Someone has to have a worse year than most of us.

Has anyone read anything similar to this before?
Probably. I like zombie, dystopian and apocalyptic books

Anybody read anything else by this author previously?
Nope

Jamie | 11129 comments Ch 3 (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Bit different to my usual reading, but always looking for things to recommend to students (some of whom are really into zombie things).

Jamie | 11129 comments Ch 8 (view spoiler)

Jamie | 11129 comments Ch 11 (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Totally forgot this one! Opening chapter starts fairly innocuously but these reports will turn out to be important.

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Up to ch4. I can’t help but think their actions were stupid given that they’re in lockdown with all sorts of craziness taking place around them.

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Up to ch7. Maybe it’s the zombie thing, but everything seems to happen very quickly and with little warning. It’s all rather grisly too.

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Up to ch9. A fledgling plan, but they’re still looking for others to take over.

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Jamie wrote: "Ch 3 [spoilers removed]"

I can only imagine you're so ingrained to behave in a certain way that you forget the rules have changed.

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Jamie wrote: "Ch 8 [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Up to ch13. no idea why she's saved this girl, and the character of her grandfather (given what's already been said) will, I think, be important.

message 16: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 1758 comments I'm really wondering if I should give this a try. I love this kind of stories but I've enjoyed them only through video games or tv shows 😃 If this worth reading? And are you going to read all the parts or only first one? 🤔 Author is unfamiliar to me.

Jamie | 11129 comments Johanna wrote: "I'm really wondering if I should give this a try. I love this kind of stories but I've enjoyed them only through video games or tv shows 😃 If this worth reading? And are you going to read all the p..."

I'm unsure what I think of this yet. Not great but engaging enough to continue so far. Continuing depends on how good the first book is.

Karen Barber | 10682 comments I can’t honestly say I’m enjoying this. While it seems a fairly good example of the genre, unless something quite amazing happens in the next half I can’t see me continuing.

Jamie | 11129 comments Yeah I think this is looking to be a 2-3 star but we’ll see. I may or may not continue during this month just because of the challenge but time will tell Depending how much I have left and how the first Book turns out. Sorry for grammar I’m on my phone using audio to type.

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Up to ch17. I understand why she’s made them travel to her grandparents’ home, but where on earth have they gone? Also can’t imagine where this can feasibly go from here.

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Up to part two. All good things come to an end. I’m hoping part two doesn’t focus too much on a love triangle for Orissa’s affections.

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Up to ch23. The compound is certainly well-organised, but there seems to be more to it. Did laugh at Scarlett’s enthusiastic response to the new A1 - and her assumptions being challenged.

message 23: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 1758 comments Karen wrote: "Up to part two. All good things come to an end. I’m hoping part two doesn’t focus too much on a love triangle for Orissa’s affections."

Your comment made me think if I should give this series a try! 🤔

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Do try it - if you’re into the genre I think you’d enjoy it. Up to ch31 now, and there’s little hints of potential action/events though still not a lot actually happening.

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Finished. Review on home page. (view spoiler)

Jamie | 11129 comments Karen wrote: "Up to ch17. I understand why she’s made them travel to her grandparents’ home, but where on earth have they gone? Also can’t imagine where this can feasibly go from here."

(view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Jamie wrote: "Karen wrote: "Up to ch17. I understand why she’s made them travel to her grandparents’ home, but where on earth have they gone? Also can’t imagine where this can feasibly go from here."

[spoilers..."

That was my take - best friends, but definitely close.

Jamie | 11129 comments Ch 17/18 (view spoiler)

Jamie | 11129 comments Karen wrote: "Up to ch23. The compound is certainly well-organised, but there seems to be more to it. Did laugh at Scarlett’s enthusiastic response to the new A1 - and her assumptions being challenged."

(view spoiler)

Jamie | 11129 comments Karen wrote: "Finished. Review on home page. [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Jamie | 11129 comments Karen, I might continue into book two and if I do, feel free to look into my spoilers for info but if I don't get to it this month, do you want me to message you with what happens at the beginning so you have some closure?

Aaron (aa3142) | 1231 comments Chapter 4
(view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Please. I’ve got my guesses so it would be good to know if I’m right.

Aaron (aa3142) | 1231 comments Jamie wrote: "Karen wrote: "Up to ch17. I understand why she’s made them travel to her grandparents’ home, but where on earth have they gone? Also can’t imagine where this can feasibly go from here."

[spoilers..."

Chapter 19
(view spoiler)

Aaron (aa3142) | 1231 comments 77%
(view spoiler)

message 36: by Aaron (last edited Aug 23, 2020 06:09AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aaron (aa3142) | 1231 comments Jamie wrote: "Karen wrote: "Finished. Review on home page. [spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

Done
(view spoiler)

Jamie | 11129 comments Deathly Contagious (The Contagium #2) by Emily Goodwin ch 3(view spoiler)

Jamie | 11129 comments Deathly Contagious (The Contagium #2) by Emily Goodwin Ch 13(view spoiler)

Jamie | 11129 comments Deathly Contagious (The Contagium #2) by Emily Goodwin Ch 16(view spoiler)

Jamie | 11129 comments Deathly Contagious (The Contagium #2) by Emily Goodwin Done (view spoiler)