Reading the 20th Century discussion

General > Science Fiction

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nigeyb (new)

Nigeyb | 9963 comments Mod
The twentieth century was a golden age for Science Fiction

Are you someone how enjoys science fiction?

Who are your favourite Sci Fi authors?

What are your favourite Sci Fi books?

message 2: by Nigeyb (new)

I posted this in the Kindle Offers (2020) thread...

The Man Who Fell to Earth (1963) by Walter Tevis

I read this one decades ago too. Predictably, as a huge teenage Bowie fan, I was inspired by the Nic Roeg film adaptation but it is a book that stands up on its own merits. A sci-fi classic indeed.

It's currently 99 pence in the UK for Kindle

If anyone fancies a buddy read do let me know

More information...
The Man Who Fell to Earth is a 1963 science fiction novel by American author Walter Tevis, about an extraterrestrial who lands on Earth seeking a way to ferry his people to Earth from his home planet, which is suffering from a severe drought. The novel served as the basis for the 1976 film by Nicolas Roeg as well as a 1987 television adaptation and an upcoming television series.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan | 10156 comments Mod
Although I am not big on sci-fi, there have been some novels I have loved. I think my favourite was:

The Book of Strange New Things The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber

I am not sure it was really loved by fans of the genre though - it might have been more literary fiction than science fiction?

More typical fare was Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1) by Richard K. Morgan Altered Carbon

message 4: by Susan (new)

There are some crime books set in space, I have liked too.

Places in the Darkness Places in the Darkness by Christopher Brookmyre by Christopher Brookmyre

Gravity by Tess Gerritsen Gravity by Tess Gerritsen

message 5: by Nigeyb (new)

Interesting - thanks Susan

message 6: by Rosina (new)

Rosina (rosinarowantree) | 250 comments Judging by the number of her books that I own, I would say that C J Cherryh is my favourite SF author. Favourite book is however impossible to say!

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian | 410 comments Here's something a bit different and a good little exercise to tickle your brain cells - a murder mystery which is set on a space cruiser (crew of 6). Nothing too heavy, just a whole heap of good old honest fun...

Six Wakes

Six Wakes by Mur Lafferty

Well worth it.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Looks good, Ian, thanks.

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikeynick) | 332 comments I'll keep on eye on this thread and watch out for recommendations. I've never read a sci-fi novel, though I enjoy the films.

message 10: by Nigeyb (new)

Thanks all

I wonder why I don't read more Science Fiction as I have read some really great examples of the genre

A few off the top of my head...

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick

Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. (and many other great books by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.)

Dune by Frank Herbert

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury