Beyond Reality discussion

19 views
Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > Chanur—other books in the series

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3233 comments Mod
I am setting up this thread for anyone who want to talk about the other books in this series.

I have finished book 2, Chanur's Venture, which ended rather abruptly. I assume the story will pick up in the next book. While I like, enjoy, and respect Cherryh’s ability to focus on one or two main characters against a space opera backdrop, I felt the focus was almost claustrophobic in this book. The tension is relentless, and the many layers of intrigue, the plots within plots, are quite bewildering. I hope more clarity emerges in the next book(s).


message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 480 comments I think I mentioned in a previous note that once you get further into this series, you'll be hard pressed to stop. In large part that is because Cherryh doesn't tie up each volume neatly. There's a definite cliffhanger element requiring further reading. That said, at the risk of spoilers, I would say that you could possibly stop after volume 4 "Chanur's Homecoming". But curiosity will likely nag you into exploring Hilfy's tale in # 5.


message 3: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3233 comments Mod
Jim wrote: "I think I mentioned in a previous note that once you get further into this series, you'll be hard pressed to stop. In large part that is because Cherryh doesn't tie up each volume neatly. There's a..."

Oh, I will read each one, but I will read other things in between. Otherwise I will gobble them up instead of savoring and enjoying them.


message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 480 comments Kathi wrote: "Oh, I will read each one, but I will read other things in between. Otherwise I will gobble them up instead of savoring and enjoying them."

Ah. I admire your self discipline!


message 5: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3233 comments Mod
I finished book 3, The Kif Strike Back. The double-dealing and plots within plots are a bit mind-boggling, and the various species of Compact space are truly alien, but this middle book in the Chanur series is a high tension page-turner. 8/10


message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 480 comments Kathi wrote: "I finished book 3, The Kif Strike Back. The double-dealing and plots within plots are a bit mind-boggling, and the various species of Compact space are truly alien, but this middle book in the Chanur series is a high tension page-turner. 8/10."

So now you have to delve into the next volume, Chanur's Homecoming to see how it all turns out. I have to say that the complexity of volume 3 made my eyes roll sometimes. So don't feel bad.


message 7: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3233 comments Mod
Jim wrote: "So now you have to delve into the next volume, Chanur's Homecoming to see how it all turns out. I have to say that the complexity of volume 3 made my eyes roll sometimes. So don't feel bad."

I will be delving into the next book in the next couple weeks. Looking forward to seeing how this tangle unravels!


message 8: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3233 comments Mod
OK, I finished this mini-arc within the overall Chanur series. Chanur's Homecoming was excellent, 10/10. Such a great combination of political and military maneuvering in space (with constant tension and one disaster after another) and character study and development (with a very diverse group of species). I have one more book to read in this series, but I suspect I will which Cherryh had written more books about the species in Compact space.


message 9: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3233 comments Mod
Chanur's Legacy, 10/10. This is the story of Hilfy Chanur, now captain of the ship Chanur’s Legacy, and her foray into high stakes trading and politics among the kif, mahendo’sat, and stsho (and t’ca) who inhabit Comoact space with the hani. Complicating her life further is the presence on her ship of a relatively inexperienced and male hani. Hilfy tries to use the lessons learned as crew under her legendary aunt Pyanfar while establishing her own reputation as captain and clan head. A wholly satisfying book and conclusion to the Chanur series.


back to top