500 Great Books By Women discussion

Reading Women Bingo 2020 > RWB 2020 Bonus Event - Women in Translation 2020

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aubrey (last edited Jul 12, 2020 06:16PM) (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments In a few more weeks, August will be here, and Women in Translation (WIT) 2020 will officially begin! Many of you participating in the RWB 2020 have planned, and perhaps completed, item I1, which requires that you read a work by a woman that was not originally published in English. This mini challenge involves setting a goal for the number of WIT works you wish to read from August 1st through the 31st, and will have a less Anglocentric requirement that you read a work by a women that was not originally published in your native language. Feel free to discuss here, sign up for the challenge over there, and check out the discussion over at the 100 Best WIT group for more!

message 2: by Sookie (new)

Sookie | 13 comments I have been trying to do the entire RWB 2020 with WIT books and its been pretty decent so far. i started quite late so i never got around to make a thread. is it still okay if i make a thread? i mean its already july and almost half way done..

message 3: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Sookie wrote: "I have been trying to do the entire RWB 2020 with WIT books and its been pretty decent so far. i started quite late so i never got around to make a thread. is it still okay if i make a thread? i me..."

That's quite the impressive feat, Sookie, and as for a thread, go for it! I know that I personally wouldn't be able to keep track of everything if I didn't have it laid out in a thread, but I'd hope that people are comfortable doing it without having a discussion board up.

message 4: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments This year for WIT, I'm looking to finish at least five books. Possibilities in decreasing order of reading probability include:

The Time in Between - María Dueñas
Lapse of Time - Wang Anyi
Crossing the Mangrove - Maryse Condé
A Small Corner of Hell: Dispatches from Chechnya - Anna Politkovskaya
Go, Went, Gone - Jenny Erpenbeck

Anyone got any reads they're looking forward to?

message 5: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 250 comments This is great, Aubrey. As usual, I can't resist. :-)

I'm planning to read three:
The Cross, Sigrid Undset
Three Strong Women, Marie NDiaye
La Promesa, Silvina Ocampo

I'll be lucky if I get through those, but I have a few alternates:
Women of Sand and Myrrh, Hanan Al-Shaykh
The Hottest Dishes of the Tartar Cuisine, Alina Bronsky
maybe even
The Memory Police, Yōko Ogawa

I'm excited to complete the Kristin Lavransdatter series which I have loved, but right now I can't wait to read La Promesa.

message 6: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Kathleen wrote: "This is great, Aubrey. As usual, I can't resist. :-)

I'm planning to read three:
The Cross, Sigrid Undset
Three Strong Women, Marie NDiaye..."

Glad to see it, Kathleen. You've got a number of strong reads ahead of you, especially with Undset. I have another work of Al-Shaykh's myself, I Sweep the Sun Off Rooftops, that's been on my shelves for some time, so that's probably another reading contender.

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 24 comments So many I want to read! I think I can read three in August but I will list my ambitious five:

1) Half a Lifelong Romance by Eileen Chang
2) The Saga of Gösta Berling by Selma Lagerlöf
3) The Wreath by Sigrid Undset
4) Notes of a Crocodile by Qiu Miaojin
5) Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar

message 8: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Erin wrote: "So many I want to read! I think I can read three in August but I will list my ambitious five:

1) Half a Lifelong Romance by Eileen Chang
2) [book:The Saga of Gösta ..."

Great choices, Erin. The fact that I still haven't acquired any Qiu Miaojin works gnaws at me, but with book sales (hopefully) starting up again next month, I'll at least be able to start looking again.

message 9: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments The creator of WITMonth is currently coordinating an international WIT book exchange between interested readers, which I'm hoping to participate in. You can check out the details and sign up for it here: https://twitter.com/Read_WIT/status/1...

message 10: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments WIT Month is here! You can now sign up for the reading event: https://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...

message 11: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 250 comments I set a goal for five. No way I can read five! Shaking my fist at you Aubrey ... :-)

I have La Promesa by Silvina Ocampo in my hot little hands. Will start today!

message 12: by Aubrey (last edited Aug 01, 2020 08:38AM) (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Kathleen wrote: "I set a goal for five. No way I can read five! Shaking my fist at you Aubrey ... :-)

I have La Promesa by Silvina Ocampo in my hot little hands. Will start today!"

Heh, glad to see you on board, Kathleen, and you can always adjust it. Any amount of WIT reading is good reading!

message 13: by Samy (new)

Samy | 51 comments I'd like to read 3 books. I'm currently reading Mouthful of Birds by Samanta Schweblin (original language Spanish). Next I hope to read The Seventh Cross by Anna Seghers (original language German). And one more, not sure which book or language yet.

message 14: by Samy (new)

Samy | 51 comments Congrats to all! Thanks for the suggestions of books to add to my tbr list.I managed to read 5 for this challenge. In addition to the 2 listed above, I read
The Wind That Lays Waste by Selva Almada original in Spanish
The Ten Loves of Mr. Nishino by Hiromi Kawakami original in Japanese
The Summer Book by Tove Jansson original in Swedish

message 15: by Jen (last edited Sep 03, 2020 04:26PM) (new)

Jen | 33 comments I enjoyed WiT month a great deal this year. I took part in the book exchange Aubrey mentioned which was a lot of fun. I received a copy of Fish Soup from a new friend in Melbourne Australia and gifted an audiobook credit to another in Washington State.

As for reading, I completed:
Four by Four - 4*
Hurricane Season - 4*
Lake Like a Mirror - 3*
The Enlightenment of the Greengage Tree - 4*
L'Amante anglaise - 5*

So, not a dud read in the lot, great result. And I've almost completed the audio version of The House of the Spirits, which to be honest is wearing on me despite it's clear accomplishments. I think I've overdone magic realism between this and Enlightenment. It's a challenging genre / technique for me.