Our Shared Shelf discussion

June/Jul: Betraying Big Brother > Government-sanctioned Erasure

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pam (last edited Jul 08, 2020 02:10PM) (new)

Pam | 1070 comments Mod
From the last chapter: China's Patriarchal Authoritarianism

The eugenic undertones of China's population planning policies are unmistakable. Even as officials encouraged college-educated Han women to marry and get pregnant, they are discouraging, sometimes through coercion, ethnic minority women they regard as low-quality, Uyghurs, from having more children. "

They do this by
- Paying more to minorities who have less than the allotted number of children.
- Offering bonuses to inter-ethnic couples with one Han Chinese partner in an effort to dilute the bloodlines
- Banned muslim names popular in the Uyghur population.
- Banned Uyghur women from wearing traditional veils or men from growing traditional beards.

Discussion Starting Points:
- How does this compare to your own country's history with minority populations, native or otherwise?

- Why would China be interested in diluting the bloodlines of their minority populations?

message 2: by Keyana (new)

Keyana | 4 comments The history of ethnic cleansing and the various ways in which the U.S government has stifled minority populations is vast. As a Black American I could go on and on about our injustices. What I have been educating myself more on these days are the histories of other minority populations in the U.S. Between the 30’s-1970’s almost 1/3 of the female population of Puerto Rico was sterilized. During the 19th and 20th centuries Native children were forced to attend assimilating boarding schools. Our Japanese population were forced into internment camps during World War II. I could find a history of injustice and racism for any group in the U.S that wasn’t/isn’t “White-passing”. The injustices that occur here are deeply rooted from the false idea that European Americans are superior. I don’t know how to answer your second question because I would think that the opposite would be occurring in China, that they would be against diluting their bloodlines so I am interested in hearing what you and others think.

message 3: by Delia (new)

Delia ANYONE KNOW HOW TO SHUT OFF THESE NOTIFICATIONS OR LEAVE THIS THREAD AND GROUP? Please teach me how. Thanks!

message 4: by ALICIA (new)

ALICIA MOGOLLON (piamedea-sojourner-bliss) | 5 comments Fidelias wrote: "ANYONE KNOW HOW TO SHUT OFF THESE NOTIFICATIONS OR LEAVE THIS THREAD AND GROUP? Please teach me how. Thanks!"
I see at the bottom of the thread just under your post. The following sentence...
"You are following all discussions for this group (no emails - only notifications). Edit"
Click on Edit and select none. That is, I would think that'll do it. I've never tried it.

message 5: by ALICIA (new)

ALICIA MOGOLLON (piamedea-sojourner-bliss) | 5 comments Pam wrote: "From the last chapter: China's Patriarchal Authoritarianism

The eugenic undertones of China's population planning policies are unmistakable. Even as officials encouraged college-educated Han wome..."

I don't have any input. I just wanted to say thank you for this discussion thread... I hadn't heard of this book so and appreciate discovering it here.

message 6: by Julie (new)

Julie | 1 comments hope so I remove myself from all these notifications. please and thank you.