Our Shared Shelf discussion

Book Suggestions > Self Care for Womans - Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elsie (last edited Aug 18, 2020 12:56AM) (new)

Elsie Campbell (elsie_campbell) | 7 comments I read several books about self help for women and also suggested some books woman self help books.
I think I had missed some of the best self-help books in that list, which will be more beneficial than the existing list of books.
I also need to confirm that whether I placed some books in wrong order.
Can you please help me by suggesting some of the best books that will benefits womens so that everybody should get benifit.

message 2: by Elsie (new)

Elsie Campbell (elsie_campbell) | 7 comments Please, Let me know which books' titles will be best. Your suggestions are most valuable for me.

message 3: by Pusbam (new)

Pusbam | 1 comments Girl, Wash Your Face: Stop Believing the Lies About Who You Are So You Can Become Who You Were Meant to Be by Rachael is a self-help book.
I read this book last week and I feel every woman should read this book once.
Its memoir, inspirational book and somewhere we all women will feel connected to this book, so I highly recommend this book

message 4: by mia :) (new)

mia :) | 1 comments I really like G'morning, G'night by Lin-Manuel Miranda. It's a collection of motivational poems!

message 5: by gonda (new)

gonda | 1 comments hi! i was wondering if anyone had any book suggestions about women talking about mental health? i’m a sixteen year old girl who isn’t comfortable talking about what’s been going on inside my head with my parents because i don’t have the best relationship with them but i also want as well as need advice because i haven’t been feeling okay for the last couple of months.
thank you

message 6: by Elsie (new)

Elsie Campbell (elsie_campbell) | 7 comments Rita wrote: ""Inhale poetry and exhale sadness"
My ebook is a collection of motivational poetry and prose. This book is a self help book, if you like to read.
Free with kindle unlimited . https://www.amazon.com..."

Sure! I will add this. I found it intresting :)

message 7: by Elsie (new)

Elsie Campbell (elsie_campbell) | 7 comments sienna wrote: "hi! i was wondering if anyone had any book suggestions about women talking about mental health? i’m a sixteen year old girl who isn’t comfortable talking about what’s been going on inside my head w..."
Check My blog you will find lot of options to read! You should definetly pick one to read

message 8: by Elsie (new)

Elsie Campbell (elsie_campbell) | 7 comments Mia :) wrote: "I really like G'morning, G'night by Lin-Manuel Miranda. It's a collection of motivational poems!"
Thanks ! I will first read it

message 9: by Sanvi (new)

Sanvi | 2 comments Girl stop apologising by rachel hollis is a very good book in this context

message 10: by Vi (new)

Vi ✨ being infinite (tanviohol) | 13 comments @sienna It's Not Ok to feel blue(and other lies?) is a book by Scarlett Curtis that explains the importance of being mentally healthy in an impressive way

message 11: by Elsie (new)

Elsie Campbell (elsie_campbell) | 7 comments Sanvi wrote: "Girl stop apologising by rachel hollis is a very good book in this context"
Its Already their!

message 12: by Elsie (new)

Elsie Campbell (elsie_campbell) | 7 comments Vi wrote: "@sienna It's Not Ok to feel blue(and other lies?) is a book by Scarlett Curtis that explains the importance of being mentally healthy in an impressive way"
Sounds Good I will add this one

message 13: by Peter (new)

Peter | 66 comments sienna wrote: "hi! i was wondering if anyone had any book suggestions about women talking about mental health? i’m a sixteen year old girl who isn’t comfortable talking about what’s been going on inside my head w..."

For girls and parents of girls: Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls

For women (by the same author): Women Rowing North: Navigating Life’s Currents and Flourishing As We Age

message 14: by Robert (new)

Robert (robertwkessler) | 62 comments I am looking for the feminist equivalent of White Fragility (Robin DiAngelo) or Be the Bridge (Latasha Morrison). Basically a book that explains to men how to more fully recognize their latent (or overt) biases and understand and more healthily engage in systems that make life difficult for women (e.g. recognizing dangerous situations, micro-aggressions, etc.).

Any recommendations?

message 15: by Kate (last edited Aug 04, 2020 10:40AM) (new)

Kate (katetakate) | 96 comments Hi @Robert, Personally I don’t think there is just one or two book on the matter (not saying you said that at all) and I think for Feminism it’s important to recognise Intersectional Feminism and both genders (and non-gender binary ppl) can benefit from reading widely to build up their understanding.

As a starting point I would say Emma Watson did a good job covering Intersectional Feminism in her book picks -
so on the Desktop version of GoodReads (not the App) there’s a bookshelf for Emma’s picks - I think they all are so useful and some overlap with the authors I mentioned below as discussions about race in Feminism is pertinent, in my opinion.
And note that the authors wrote a other useful books not listed worth looking at:

Link to the bookshelf here:
https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

And here’s book suggestions for anti-racism discourse as I believe White Fragility needs to be read alongside books written by Black People and People of Color to truly understand and digest issues of Systemic Racism, Casual Racism, Social Injustices, Slavery, Opression, British Empire White Colonialism, White Privilege and so on - so books by these authors (and not limited to them) are useful to me:
Reni Eddo-Lodge
Patrisse Khan-Cullors
Ijeoma Oluo
Malcolm X
Afua Hirsch
Akala
bell hooks
Toni Morrison
Maya Angelou
Alice Walker
Berna
Tessa McWatt
Tressie McMillan Cottom
Brittney Cooper
Moustafa Bayoumi
Ta-Nahisi Coates
Ibram X. Kendi
Dean Atta
Paul Mendez
Elizabeth Uviebinené and Yomi Adegoke
Emma Dabiri

I realise my reply is very long - but I hope it helps a little.

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Robert wrote: "I am looking for the feminist equivalent of White Fragility (Robin DiAngelo) or Be the Bridge (Latasha Morrison). Basically a book that explains to men how to more fully recognize their latent (or ..."

Try Mikki Kendall's Hood Feminism.

message 17: by Louise (new)

Louise Blocker | 7 comments Peter wrote: "sienna wrote: "hi! i was wondering if anyone had any book suggestions about women talking about mental health? i’m a sixteen year old girl who isn’t comfortable talking about what’s been going on i..."

Kate wrote: "Hi @Robert, Personally I don’t think there is just one or two book on the matter (not saying you said that at all) and I think for Feminism it’s important to recognise Intersectional Feminism and b..."

Hello Robert, I would add Isabel Wilkerson's "The Warmth of Other Suns" and her recently released "Caste."
Take care, be safe and know that I care.
Louise Blocker

message 18: by Abhishek (new)

Abhishek Abraham (lucifer007) | 12 comments I would suggest Temple by Matthew Reilly.

It tracks the adventure of Prof Race in a quest to find a mysterious Incan idol made from an extra-terrestrial mineral that could have devastating consequences if it falls into the wrong hands. The book also follows the story of Santiago, a Spanish monk in the 1500's that is helping get the idol to it's current resting place rather than fall into the hands of the bloodthirsty conquistadors.

You can't make such a story any more entertaining. Would definitely recommend for those who like fast action packed stories. This is long and full of action. Must Read.

message 19: by Trisha (new)

Trisha (trishadunbar) | 19 comments I suggest Girl, Woman, other by Bernardine Evaristo. Although fictional it covers many very real topics