2017 Reading Challenge discussion

15/Antonyms in the title > Antonym ideas

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne (new)

Anne (librarianguish) | 636 comments Mod
Here's a site with a list of antonyms:

http://examples.yourdictionary.com/ex...

Good luck!

message 2: by Vermicious Knids (last edited Jan 26, 2015 11:06AM) (new)

Vermicious Knids | 15 comments I think these would all fit the criteria:
Big, Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
Fire and Ice: Soot, Solidarity, and Survival on the Roof of the World by Jonathan Mingle
and if you enjoy social novels of the 1800's, North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell.
East of the Sun and West of the Moon Old Tales from the North (Double anyonym!!) by Peter Christen Asbjørnsen

message 3: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 280 comments I went to Amazon and typed in different pairs and got back titles. Example: Short and Tall.

message 4: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Johansson (dakkster) "Thinking, fast and slow" by Kahneman is probably the one I'm going for, but I'm also thinking about Tony Parsons' "Man and wife".

message 5: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) Manda wrote: "So will this year be the one I read war and peace........!"

So reading War & Peace for this category too!

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 26 comments I found a book at the bookstore last month called Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet that I bought for the Challenge. It is by Jamie Ford and looks like it will be really good.

message 7: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 26 comments I also found Up the Down Staircase on my kindle or maybe it was Upstairs Downstairs, I think I have both of them.
Just a couple of ideas if you didn't want to tackle War and Peace!

message 8: by Sarah Mae (new)

Sarah Mae (sarahmae) I'm going to read Popular: Vintage Wisdom for a Modern Geek by Maya Van Wagenen

message 9: by Jaci (new)

Jaci | 11 comments The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet was a community read a while back and I loved it. I also want to read Popular... Maybe I'll start that one next. I've never made it through War and Peace :)

message 10: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 26 comments Jaci wrote: "The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet was a community read a while back and I loved it. I also want to read Popular... Maybe I'll start that one next. I've never made it through War and Peace :)"

Jaci, I'm glad to know that. It looked like it would be a good book, but was so different from most of what I read. Now I'm looking forward to it.

message 11: by Frogli (last edited Mar 04, 2015 04:14AM) (new)

Frogli | 118 comments Vermicious Knids wrote: "I think these would all fit the criteria:
Fire and Ice: Soot, Solidarity, and Survival on the Roof of the World by Jonathan Mingle
and if you enjoy social novels ..."

Thank you so much for mentioning East of the Sun and West of the Moon Old Tales from the North!

Had never heard of it but 1) it solves my problem of what to read for this category & 2) I love me some folk tales so this is just my kind of thing :)

message 12: by Tats (new)

Tats Haaa, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet!!! Perfect! I had read a lot about it and wanted to read it but of course had forgotten all about it by now. Great!

Also found that there is a list of antonym titles in Goodreads already: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/8...
It got 228 books - am sure we all find something we like ;)

message 13: by Vermicious Knids (new)

Vermicious Knids | 15 comments Frogli wrote: "Vermicious Knids wrote: "I think these would all fit the criteria:
and if..."

I love folktales as well. I think folktales should be a 'to read' category....maybe next year!

message 15: by Mary (new)

Mary I read Ancient Child, by N. Scott Momaday (his prior book House Made of Dawn is a Pulitzer winner!); but also considered Frozen Heat by Richard Castle (for the fans of the Castle TV show).

message 16: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Johansson (dakkster) Patricia wrote: "Reading The Mirror and the Lamp: Romantic Theory and the Critical Tradition for this category."

What in that title do you consider to be antonyms?

message 17: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Thomas wrote: "Patricia wrote: "Reading The Mirror and the Lamp: Romantic Theory and the Critical Tradition for this category."

What in that title do you consider to be antonyms?"

The "mirror" is a metaphor of art as reflection of the external world, while the "lamp" is a metaphor of art as projection of the inner life of the artist.

message 18: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Johansson (dakkster) Well if unapparent metaphors are used, this category certainly gets a whole lot broader...

message 19: by Mary (new)

Mary Thomas wrote: "Well if unapparent metaphors are used, this category certainly gets a whole lot broader..."

That seems reasonable - everyone can define each category, and book read, for themselves here.

message 20: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Johansson (dakkster) Mary wrote: "Thomas wrote: "Well if unapparent metaphors are used, this category certainly gets a whole lot broader..."

That seems reasonable - everyone can define each category, and book read, for themselves ..."

Oh, of course. It just threw me for a loop a bit :) If there's something this community has done, it's opened my eyes to how differently we all interpret this list :)

message 21: by Anne (new)

Anne (librarianguish) | 636 comments Mod
I was at a used bookstore the other day, and spied a bunch of books about Custer and Little Big Horn...

message 22: by Ana (new)

Ana Barisic I am planning on reading 007 Live and let die by Ian Fleming!

message 23: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Todd | 45 comments I'm wanting to read Rich Man, Poor Man because it was published the year of my birth. Two birds with one stone...

message 24: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherbowman) I've decided to read Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch for this category. The antonyms aren't as straightforward, but that makes me like it even more for this category.

message 25: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Todd | 45 comments I ended up choosing Hot Lights, Cold Steel by Michael Collins. It's about his surgical rotation as a resident. Interesting! I've always loved reading and watching medical dramas. (Just can't handle it in person...)

message 26: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherbowman) I've just stumbled across a book called A Teaspoon of Earth and Sea which would also work for this category. It sounds so good I might have to switch the book I'm reading for this category ....

message 27: by Sierra (new)

Sierra Richards (redd617) | 6 comments I decided to go with A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas for this category. Less direct as far as antonyms go, but it makes sense to me :)

message 28: by Frogli (new)

Frogli | 118 comments Well goodreads just recommended Death: A Life to me which would work if I was still looking for one ;)

message 29: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Todd | 45 comments Here's a trilogy of antonym titles: North & South, Love & War, and Heaven & Hell. John Jakes' historical fiction trilogy about the Civil War and post-war period. I read these years ago and loved them.

message 30: by Cyndy (new)

Cyndy | 231 comments Rich Man, Poor Man and Dying to Live in Palm Beach are two more for this category.

message 31: by Becky (new)

Becky K I just found "The Virgin's Lover" by Phillipa Gregory at a garage sale for this category :)

message 32: by Raven (new)

Raven (ravenkingsley) | 47 comments I suppose "love" and "hate" would qualify for antonyms enough?