Underground Knowledge — A discussion group discussion

God's Bankers: A History of Money and Power at the Vatican
This topic is about God's Bankers
ALTERNATIVE THINKING BOOKS > Gerald Posner's God's Bankers and other works

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by James, Group Founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

James Morcan | 10920 comments Award winning journalist, bestselling author and attorney Gerald Posner, who recently became a member of this group, has written a series of well-researched non-fiction books on controversial topics. All of which contain vast amounts of "underground knowledge" and have been highly reviewed by the likes of The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times and The Washington Post who all have praised his exhaustive research and investigative journalism skills.

Gerald has a new book titled God's Bankers: A History of Money and Power at the Vatican that is about to be published. It has spanned nine years of research and received early critical praise.

Previously published titles include:

The Pulitzer Prize finalist Case Closed: Lee Harvey Oswald and the Assassination of JFK

Mengele: The Complete Story, a biography of the Nazi "Angel of Death” Josef Mengele, which was the result of Gerald's pro-bono lawsuit Posner brought on behalf of surviving twins from Auschwitz.

Killing the Dream: James Earl Ray and the Assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr.

The Third Man: Was there another bomber in Oklahoma City?

Motown: Music, Money, Sex, and Power

Secrets of the Kingdom: The Inside Story of the Saudi-U.S. Connection

Miami Babylon: A Tale of Crime, Wealth, and Power

Warlords of Crime: Chinese Secret Societies--The New Mafia

God's Bankers A History of Money and Power at the Vatican by Gerald Posner Case Closed Lee Harvey Oswald and the Assassination of JFK by Gerald Posner Mengele The Complete Story by Gerald Posner Killing the Dream James Earl Ray and the Assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. by Gerald Posner The Third Man Was there another bomber in Oklahoma City? by Gerald Posner Motown Music, Money, Sex, and Power by Gerald Posner Secrets of the Kingdom The Inside Story of the Saudi-U.S. Connection by Gerald Posner Miami Babylon A Tale of Crime, Wealth, and Power by Gerald Posner Warlords of Crime Chinese Secret Societies--The New Mafia by Gerald Posner

message 2: by Gerald (new) - added it

Gerald Posner (geraldposner) | 5 comments I'm really glad to be a new member of Underground Knowledge. It is exactly the type of knowledge I'm hunting for when researching a book....

message 3: by Lance, Group Founder (new)

Lance Morcan | 2664 comments Gerald wrote: "I'm really glad to be a new member of Underground Knowledge. It is exactly the type of knowledge I'm hunting for when researching a book...."

Welcome Gerald! This is the other Morcan (Lance). Hope you get something outta the group.

message 4: by Gerald (new) - added it

Gerald Posner (geraldposner) | 5 comments Ah the other Morcan! Nice to meet Lance in that cyberspace kind of way. I have little doubt the group will be great.

message 5: by Lance, Group Founder (last edited Jan 09, 2015 02:51AM) (new)

Lance Morcan | 2664 comments For anyone who is interested in reading God's Bankers: A History of Money and Power at the Vatican, Gerald is currently running a competition on Goodreads giving away 5 copies.

Be sure to enter here if interested:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

God's Bankers A History of Money and Power at the Vatican by Gerald Posner

message 6: by David (new) - added it

David Elkin | 506 comments I look forward to your new book Gerald. I have committed to myself to overlook my personal bias in the JFK case and take the time to read your Oswald book. You are well respected and most welcome.

message 7: by Gerald (new) - added it

Gerald Posner (geraldposner) | 5 comments David - Many thanks. All I can ever ask for is that a reader approach any book with an open mind. That is difficult often to do, especially when it comes to such a controversial and much-debated case as JFK's assassination. We all have our prejudgments on big history matters like that. The question is whether we are open to being persuaded otherwise by credible evidence.

So when I started the JFK book in the early 1990s, my own leaning was that there was a conspiracy and that it was most likely the mob behind it. That was largely predicated on Jack Ruby's murder of Oswald and that it seemed like a mafia silencing. It was only when I got into the research that I became convinced that in this tough case, there was in the end no conspiracy behind JFK's murder.

It is important to note that I think many conspiracies were brewing around JFK - just as their might be at any time against any US president - but that Oswald ultimately beat all the conspirators to Kennedy.

In any case, you might still totally disagree with me after reading the book. But if nothing else, it might lead you to conclude that the 'lone assassin' conclusion deserves to at least be in the debate about 'who killed Kennedy' as much as any of the leading conspiracy theories.

All the best - Gerald

message 8: by David (new) - added it

David Elkin | 506 comments Thanks-just bought it from Amazon today. I will make it my next non-fiction at read home book. (I read alternative books at home. On the road mainly fiction.)

message 9: by David (new) - added it

David Elkin | 506 comments BTW-Just got your Kennedy book yesterday. It is my next read

message 10: by Gerald (new) - added it

Gerald Posner (geraldposner) | 5 comments David, thanks again. I trust you will find it thought provoking

message 11: by Gerald (new) - added it

Gerald Posner (geraldposner) | 5 comments Jeannie -I am always complaining there is too much to read and too little time :-

message 12: by James, Group Founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

James Morcan | 10920 comments Underground Knowledge member Gerald Posner interviewed by Bill Maher about his new book God's Bankers - https://www.goodreads.com/videos/8166...

message 13: by David (new) - added it

David Elkin | 506 comments Good quick interview. Will have to track it down.

Gerald, about 3/4 of the way through Case Closed.

message 14: by Robert (last edited Mar 25, 2015 11:16AM) (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 30 comments God's Bankers sounds quite interesting. I may need to revisit Case Closed, too. I know I read it back when it came out, but I think my mind is blurring it with other books of the "Oswald did it" camp that start with that conclusion and work to prove it.

Your book sounds more like you started with a mind open to either scenario and your research and analysis lead to the conclusion.

Another book for the to-be-read list...

message 15: by James, Group Founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

James Morcan | 10920 comments God's Bankers has received strong reviewers so I plan to read it also.

message 16: by Lance, Group Founder (new)