Ladies of Horror Fiction discussion

Catherine House
This topic is about Catherine House
LOHF Group Reads > July 2020 Readalong: CATHERINE HOUSE by Elisabeth Thomas

Comments Showing 1-50 of 98 (98 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bark | Ladies Of Horror Fiction (last edited Jun 19, 2020 11:36AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction (barklesswagmore) | 490 comments This is going to be the thread for the July readalong of CATHERINE HOUSE by Elisabeth Thomas.

Get your copy now! And thank you everyone for voting!

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 211 comments Looks like a good choice!

Donna (donnaduck) | 29 comments *waits patiently for everyone to read it*

message 4: by Latasha (new) - added it

Latasha (latasha513) | 302 comments there's an audio book so i'll be going that route.

message 5: by Shaina (new) - added it

Shaina (shainlockholmes) | 68 comments On hold at the library. Going that route.

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 211 comments Shaina wrote: "On hold at the library. Going that route."

Mine is STILL not opened! GRRR!

message 7: by Shaina (new) - added it

Shaina (shainlockholmes) | 68 comments Mine isn’t either. Just using the ebook database which thank Dracula, never closed.

message 8: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 211 comments Shaina wrote: "Mine isn’t either. Just using the ebook database which thank Dracula, never closed."

I only see copies "on order" at several in the area, and none are taking holds yet....

message 9: by Shaina (new) - added it

Shaina (shainlockholmes) | 68 comments So they don’t even have ppl going in yet ....! Closed closed. Not even maintaining ... I just might 😢... how can they stay out?

message 10: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 211 comments Shaina wrote: "So they don’t even have ppl going in yet ....! Closed closed. Not even maintaining ... I just might 😢... how can they stay out?"

This has seriously put a damper on my reading--especially as my husband has been out of work, we dropped Amazon Prime, and buying new books just for group reads (that I don't know if I'll want to keep to re-read) isn't an option. WNY is an area in a vacuum. :( They won't even accept donations for future book sales (I have some that I periodically put aside for those, when I run out of space)...

message 11: by Shaina (new) - added it

Shaina (shainlockholmes) | 68 comments I sent a few ideas to you. Also do you have any type of ereader? They will loan things out to friends, so if someone does buy a copy there is that option.

message 12: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 211 comments The eBook is almost as much as the hardcover with this one, too...

message 13: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 211 comments Shaina wrote: "I sent a few ideas to you. Also do you have any type of ereader? They will loan things out to friends, so if someone does buy a copy there is that option."

I do have a kindle paper white! However, never done the e-reader loans from our area libraries before--if they are even doing them. But with this title, it appears they don't have copies available in any format yet. I'll check out eBay...

message 14: by Shaina (new) - added it

Shaina (shainlockholmes) | 68 comments I know. I feel your concerns. The world is not an easy place for any of us right now and it’s even harder when you can’t even read, and that reading is only trying to help show support. Something will come along. I don’t have prime either. Something will work out. You have some time.

Mindy'sBookJourney (mindysbookjourney) | 15 comments it is on Scrib'd as an audiobook. $8.99/ mo. subscription and get to try it free one month.

message 16: by Shaina (new) - added it

Shaina (shainlockholmes) | 68 comments Brilliant. There we go. Thank you! Lovely !

Mindy'sBookJourney (mindysbookjourney) | 15 comments You're Welcome!

message 18: by Franklinbadger (new)

Franklinbadger | 79 comments Looking forward to this!

message 19: by Latasha (new) - added it

Latasha (latasha513) | 302 comments My library isn’t open yet either but they suck anyways. Never have anything I’m looking for. Shaina, I think u sent those ideas to me instead of Kimberly.

message 20: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 211 comments I think I'm the only one who can't focus on audible..... But I can read with a book in front of my face and walk into walls just fine! :D

message 21: by Latasha (new) - added it

Latasha (latasha513) | 302 comments It’s ok.

message 22: by Shaina (new) - added it

Shaina (shainlockholmes) | 68 comments If I find a copy and you still don’t have one, I’ll let you read it. Just please be careful!

Tracy Robinson (tracy_reads79) | 76 comments Waiting for my library hold to come in!! So excited for this

Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction (barklesswagmore) | 490 comments My library has a 16 week wait 😭. I ended up resubbing to audible to get the audio. They currently have a $7.95 a month for 4 months deal running through the end in June.

Escapereality | 2 comments excited for this one !!!

message 26: by Shifty Reads (new) - added it

Shifty Reads | 1 comments Think I will join this month!

message 27: by Sapphic Shelves (new)

Sapphic Shelves (sapphicshelves) | 6 comments totally out of my comfort zone but so excited!

Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction (barklesswagmore) | 490 comments I'm glad so many of you are going to join us in July!

Tracy Robinson (tracy_reads79) | 76 comments My library hold is in!

message 30: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol Gyzander | 8 comments Just got mine!

Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction (barklesswagmore) | 490 comments How's it going for everyone?! I plan to start Monday or tomorrow if life calms down for me.

Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction (barklesswagmore) | 490 comments Please remember to use spoiler tags & percentage read if heading into spoiler territory. All opinions are welcome and valid. Thank you and enjoy!

Donna (donnaduck) | 29 comments I read it a couple months ago thanks to an ARC. I found it....lacking. The MC came off very wooden and blank, not much personality. The story was more about food and casual sex than anything else and I felt the whole plasma element was underplayed to the point of invisibility.

message 34: by Latasha (new) - added it

Latasha (latasha513) | 302 comments I’ll start listening to it Monday.

Tracy Robinson (tracy_reads79) | 76 comments Starting now!

Tracy Robinson (tracy_reads79) | 76 comments I’m on year 2.

message 37: by Latasha (new) - added it

Latasha (latasha513) | 302 comments I started listening this morning. When describing the school it reminded me a lot of Lois Duncan’s Down a Dark Hall. I hope it’s way different from that one.

message 38: by Sapphic Shelves (new)

Sapphic Shelves (sapphicshelves) | 6 comments I am on year two as well. All my current thoughts are just going to go into a spoiler tag to be safe!

(view spoiler)

Tracy Robinson (tracy_reads79) | 76 comments I’m all done. I’ll hold my thoughts until most are done.

Lindsay (llbookrat) | 4 comments I finished! I listened to this on Scribd and have a physical copy (oh hey deckle edges!). Can't wait to hear what everyone thought

Lindsay (llbookrat) | 4 comments And if you want to make this one a drinking game...take a shot every time someone says COOKIE

message 42: by Latasha (new) - added it

Latasha (latasha513) | 302 comments Lindsay wrote: "And if you want to make this one a drinking game...take a shot every time someone says COOKIE"

lol! we sure wouldn't last long.

message 43: by Latasha (new) - added it

Latasha (latasha513) | 302 comments I finally made it to year 2. I’m not really feeling this one. I don’t like the characters and it’s dragging by. I’m giving it til the end of the day. If it hooked me by then, I’m gonna DNF & get my audible credit back.

Angie (strangersights) | 16 comments I'm really interested to see what you all think. I read an ARC of this last month, and...I have some thoughts.

Donna (donnaduck) | 29 comments The only thing that kept me reading this book was hoping that something, ANYTHING, was going to happen. It had to. It didn’t.

Tracy Robinson (tracy_reads79) | 76 comments I know how you feel

message 47: by Angie (last edited Jul 07, 2020 10:37AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie (strangersights) | 16 comments I'm gonna use spoiler tags just in case, but
(view spoiler)

Mindy'sBookJourney (mindysbookjourney) | 15 comments Was this supposed to be horror? I am starting Year 2 and I would say this is definitely not horror. Not really a thriller or mystery. I would say this is like a typical college contemporary with some atypical elements. When I think of this novel in that frame of mind I like it a lot more.

Donna (donnaduck) | 29 comments I think it's supposed to be gothic horror or gothic thriller, of which, personally, it's neither. In my review I equated it to the diary of a boring, emotionally bankrupt college student.

See, I didn't think there was a ton of atmosphere because the story was told from Ines's POV and she was just blah about everything. Like, yeah, the buildings are old, but I need more than that for a gothic atmosphere.

message 50: by Latasha (new) - added it

Latasha (latasha513) | 302 comments Well I’m going to read the spoilers to see if I’m gonna continue or not.

« previous 1