Bethlehem Public Library - Book Discussions discussion

Anti-Racist Book Group > July: So You Want to Talk About Race

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate, BPL Librarian (last edited Jun 12, 2020 11:31AM) (new)

Kate, BPL Librarian | 30 comments Mod
Join us on Zoom for our first meeting of the Anti-Racist Book Group. We will be meeting on July 22 at 7:00 to discuss So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo. Register on our online calendar to receive the link for the Zoom meeting. The Anti-Racist book group is dedicated to reading books by diverse authors in order to gain a better understanding of race and racism. Each month we will read a nonfiction or #OwnVoices fiction book.

message 2: by Donna (new)

Donna Capern | 19 comments I am really looking forward to this opportunity to read, learn, and discuss. What options do we have for getting the book in a timely manner? it appears to be in demand, not surprisingly.

Maria T. Abraham | 2 comments I am currently listening to it and it’s an excellent book. Most of all i find it very educative. I did not grow up in this country so there are many ‘now I get it’ moments for me.
I am looking forward to the opportunity to discuss and get deeper on the issues this books bring forward.

Donna wrote: "I am really looking forward to this opportunity to read, learn, and discuss. What options do we have for getting the book in a timely manner? it appears to be in demand, not surprisingly."

Excellent question. We did order a lot of additional copies, which hopefully will come with enough time before the meeting. If you enjoy audiobooks, it is also available for immediate download through Hoopla. I like to listen to audiobooks while I cook and work on craft projects.

Maria T. Abraham wrote: "I am currently listening to it and it’s an excellent book. Most of all i find it very educative. I did not grow up in this country so there are many ‘now I get it’ moments for me.
I am looking forw..."

I am so glad to hear that you are enjoying the book, Maria! I am only a few chapters in at this point, but I am also having some "now I get it" moments, and having some of my previous assumptions challenged. I am finding the writing to be clear and straightforward. I am very excited for our discussion.

message 6: by Anne, BPL Librarian (last edited Jun 22, 2020 09:46AM) (new)

Anne, BPL Librarian (anne_bethpl) | 86 comments Mod
We just got word from Overdrive that they are making So You Want to Talk about Race by Ijeoma Oluo available as a simultaneous use audiobook from June 29 through July 26, 2020. That means no waiting list June 29-July 26! Direct link: https://uhls.overdrive.com/uhls-bethl...

It's already available as simultaneous access on Hoopla (https://www.hoopladigital.com/title/1...) but I prefer Overdrive because I can download it to my Kindle Fire.

message 7: by Kyle (new)

Kyle McHugh (kylemchugh) | 3 comments It says the event is full and I’m on the waitlist. :(

Kyle wrote: "It says the event is full and I’m on the waitlist. :("

Hi Kyle,

Wow registration for this filled up quickly. I added a couple more spots and moved you over to the main list. I will send out the link to join the zoom meeting to everyone who is registered on the day of the discussion.

message 9: by Lizzie Lou (new)

Lizzie Lou | 8 comments I waited for a long time for this title and finally got it a few weeks back. Better late than never? Do you know if they are offering the audio version as well?

message 10: by Anne, BPL Librarian (last edited Jun 24, 2020 02:30PM) (new)

Lizzie Lou wrote: "I waited for a long time for this title and finally got it a few weeks back. Better late than never? Do you know if they are offering the audio version as well?"

Lizzie, see my above post for links to Hoopla and Overdrive for the audio.

message 11: by Lizzie Lou (new)

Lizzie Lou | 8 comments Thanks Anne! The only excuse I can fabricate for being a dunce and missing the words I was looking for is the Higgs Boson. Because particle physics explains everything! ...right?

I believe we should blame many things on the Higgs Boson.

message 13: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 8 comments Kate, BPL Librarian wrote: "Donna wrote: "I am really looking forward to this opportunity to read, learn, and discuss. What options do we have for getting the book in a timely manner? it appears to be in demand, not surprisin..."I Love Books bookstore in Delmar has several copies as of this moment. (I just purchased a copy for curbside pickup.)

Maria T. Abraham wrote: "I am currently listening to it and it’s an excellent book. Most of all i find it very educative. I did not grow up in this country so there are many ‘now I get it’ moments for me.
I am looking forw..."

message 14: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 8 comments I Love Books bookstore in Delmar has copies Ijeoma Oluo's book as of this moment! Given the huge response of our community, it would be helpful and convenient if the library would coordinate with the bookstore to be sure copies are available for sale in the future. Btw, because the book is on the best seller list, the book is discounted! A great way to support our local bookstore! I'd love to see a window display at the bookstore to promote the book club. Some folks are 'only' window shopping because of the pandemic. A great way to promote our library's events. Especially given the prime location in our town. No doubt folks who attend the weekly Monday gatherings at the corner would appreciate the heads up. Have I thanked the library staff yet for their vision and leadership?!

message 15: by Anne, BPL Librarian (last edited Jul 06, 2020 05:57AM) (new)

Hello everyone! The Wednesday 7/22 session is at capacity right now, so we have added a second session on Thursday 7/23, still at 7pm. You can go to our calendar and sign up or use this link: http://ny.evanced.info/bethlehem/lib/...

If the Thursday evening session works better for anyone currently signed up for Wednesday, please let us know and we can switch you.

Just a reminder to everyone, this title is available through the library's Hoopla service and Overdrive:

https://uhls.overdrive.com/uhls-bethl...

https://www.hoopladigital.com/title/1...

The audiobooks are available for everyone to access at the same time.

The Overdrive ebook has a waiting list: https://uhls.overdrive.com/uhls-bethl...

message 16: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 8 comments I've not participated in a BPL book group before; and I realize the online format is new. Are there guidelines/procedures? What is the format for the online zoom session? I would imagine we will just scratch the surface in the discussion. Is there ever any follow up after the discussion? Will this online discussion continue to be available after the zoom meeting?

Dawn wrote: "I've not participated in a BPL book group before; and I realize the online format is new. Are there guidelines/procedures? What is the format for the online zoom session? I would imagine we will ju..."

Great questions, Dawn. Anne and I will email out the links to join the zoom meeting about an hour or two before the discussion. It is helpful if you make sure you know how to use Zoom on your device prior to the meeting. Participants may have their cameras on if they are comfortable with that, or can keep their cameras off. They can speak using their microphone or type in the chat box.

The Zoom session will not be recorded and will be closed at the end of the meeting, but this thread on Goodreads will remain open if people want to continue the discussion here.

message 18: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicolecorreia) | 1 comments Really looking forward to this discussion - this book has given me so much to think about and engage on. Thank you, BPL!

message 19: by Lizzie Lou (new)

Lizzie Lou | 8 comments Kate & Anne, I hope you had a great 1st night of this series!

message 20: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 8 comments I'm grateful for the pretty open discussion, and dynamic and thoughtful participation. Kudos to Kate and Anne guiding us through a complicated, and oftentimes emotional, subject in a short time frame. I am left hopeful. Looking forward to an ongoing conversation.

message 21: by Donna (last edited Jul 23, 2020 05:31PM) (new)

Donna Capern | 19 comments Thank you for tonight's discussion! I imagine we all feel like there is much more to talk about, but as you pointed out, Kate, the ideas and guidance in Ijeoma Oluo's book will come up again and again in future discussions. So much to reflect on. So many wrongs to put right, as Carol pointed out, at an individual, community, state and national level. But it starts with each of us, and I was glad to listen and learn from all of you.

message 22: by Lizzie Lou (new)

Lizzie Lou | 8 comments Thank you all for sharing tonight. My mind kept finding new rabbit holes to fall down after we ended. Carol's comment about changing how we interview left me thinking about work attire and what counts as professional-looking in western culture. I have listened to a series about the history of clothes and learned the origins of the modern suit are linked to military uniforms. I believe it was on the podcast 99% Invisible. The journalist described the men's suit as a uniform and that wearing it is a way to demonstrate that you "belong". The piece also spoke on how the suit spread beyond Europe through colonialism. She also pointed out how women incorporated elements of the suit into their dress.
Realizing that the upbringing and education I received implied that colonialism was a good thing, that the world benefited from explorers stealing land, has led me to question my own narrative/origin story and to think about the family stories that have been passed down.
I'm wondering if others have had similar experiences.

mj64browngmail.com | 1 comments I very much enjoyed last Thursday's discussion of So You Want To Talk About Race. If there had been more time, it would have been interesting to talk about her section on microagression. That section had me thinking about my own actions, often subconscious.
I look forward to further discussions

message 24: by Kyle (last edited Jul 27, 2020 11:07AM) (new)

Kyle McHugh (kylemchugh) | 3 comments I agree wholeheartedly! Especially my time growing up in Bethlehem, I know I committed a lot of microaggressions, sometimes unconsciously, and sometimes on purpose under the guise of "it's a joke." It is hard to think back on when I didn't know any better, and think of how I grew up in a town where that behavior is somewhat common.

message 25: by Donna (new)

Donna Capern | 19 comments Kyle wrote: "I agree wholeheartedly! Especially my time growing up in Bethlehem, I know I committed a lot of microaggressions, sometimes unconsciously, and sometimes on purpose under the guise of "it's a joke."..."

mj64browngmail.com wrote: "I very much enjoyed last Thursday's discussion of So You Want To Talk About Race. If there had been more time, it would have been interesting to talk about her section on microagression. That secti..."

message 26: by Donna (new)

Donna Capern | 19 comments Excellent point. Let's try to raise that very good topic at our next discussion.