2019 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2015 > Rachel's 52 in 2015 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel W (last edited May 19, 2015 06:20PM) (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) | 89 comments Hi! I will only count books that I both started and completed in 2015. I still have some lingering in my currently reading pile from last year that I need to take care of, quickly!

I don't always review, but I'll try to at least put a star rating and a few lines for each book. Looking forward to reading along with you all this year!

January
1 - Saga #1 Brian K. Vaughan- Read 1/1/2015, 4 stars
2 - The View from the Cherry Tree Willo Davis Roberts- Read 1/3/2015, 4 stars
3 - Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal G. Willow Wilson- Read 1/3/2015, 3.5 stars
4 - Bad Feminist: Essays Roxane Gay- Read 1/6/2015, 4.5 stars
5 - Here Richard McGuire- Read 1/8/2015, 3 stars
6 - The Glass Menagerie Tennessee Williams- Read 1/10/2015, 3 stars
7 - The Great Gatsby F. Scott Fitzgerald- Read 1/12/2015, 5 stars
8 - As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride Cary Elwes- Read 1/15/15, 4 stars
9 - Brown Girl Dreaming Jacqueline Woodson - Read 1/17/15, 5 stars
10 - Marmee and Louisa: The Untold Story of Louisa May Alcott and Her Mother Eve LaPlante - Read 1/20/2015, 5 stars
11 - Summer of My Amazing Luck Miriam Toews - Read 1/20/2015, 4 stars
12 - Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly Anthony Bourdain - Read 1/28/2015, 3 stars
13 - Mansfield Park Jane Austen - Read 1/29/2015, 3 stars
14 - Batman: The Killing Joke Alan Moore - Read 1/30/2015, 4 stars

February
15 - Can't We Talk about Something More Pleasant? Roz Chast - Read 2/8/2015, 5 stars
16 - Dear Life: Stories - Alice Munro - read 2/18/2015, 4 stars
17 - Never Let Me Go Kazuo Ishiguro - read 2/21/2015, 4 stars
18 - The Woman in Black Susan Hill - read 2/26/2015, 4 stars
19 - Drama High: The Incredible True Story of a Brilliant Teacher, a Struggling Town, and the Mag ic of Theater Michael Sokolove - read 2/28/2015, 3 stars

March
20 - Alex + Ada, Volume 1 Jonathan Luna, read 3/1/15, 3 stars
21 - Candide by Voltaire, read 3/2/15, 4 stars
22 - Magic Bites Ilona Andrews, read 3/8/15, 4 stars
23 - Magic Burns Ilona Andrews, read 3/12/15, 4 stars
24 - Magic Strikes Ilona Andrews, read 3/14/15, 4 stars
25 - Magic Bleeds Ilona Andrews, read 3/15/15, 4 stars
26 - Magic Slays Ilona Andrews, read 3/18/15, 4 stars
27 - Magic Rises Ilona Andrews, read 3/22/15, 4 stars
28 - Magic Breaks Ilona Andrews, read 3/25/15, 4 stars
29 - How to Be a Woman Caitlin Moran, read 4/1/15, 4 stars

April
30 - Yes Please Amy Poehler, read 4/22/15, 3 stars
31 - Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mount Everest Disaster Jon Krakauer, read 4/25/15, 5 stars
32 - Doctor Who Series 3 Volume 1: The Hypothetical Gentleman Andy Diggle, read 4/25/15, 2 stars
33 - Star Trek: The Next Generation / Doctor Who: Assimilation2, Volume 1 Scott Tipton, read 4/25/15, 3 stars
34 - Star Trek: The Next Generation / Doctor Who: Assimilation2, Volume 2 Scott Tipton, read 4/27/15, 3 stars
35 - We Should All Be Feminists Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, read 4/28/15, 5 stars

May
36 - The Happiness Project: Or Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun Gretchen Rubin, read 5/1/2015, 3 stars
37 - Rat Queens, Vol. 1: Sass & Sorcery Kurtis J. Wiebe, read 5/2/2015, 4 stars
38 - Pierrot Mon Ami Raymond Queneau, read 5/3/2015, 3 stars
39 - The Shining Stephen King, read 5/5/2015, 4.5 stars
40 - The Paying Guests Sarah Waters, read 5/12/2015, 3.5 stars
41 - Lumberjanes, Vol. 1 Noelle Stevenson, read 5/12/2015, 4 stars
42 - Saga, Vol. 2 Brian K. Vaughan, read 5/16/2015, 4.5 stars
43 - Saga, Vol. 3 Brian K. Vaughan, read 5/16/2015, 4.5 stars
44 - The Mezzanine Nicholson Baker, read 5/19/2015, 2 stars
45 - Lumberjanes, Vol. 2 Noelle Stevenson, read 5/18/2015, 4 stars
46 - The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian Sherman Alexie, read 5/16/2015, 5 stars

message 2: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3694 comments Ooh! How was Ms. Marvel? There's a lot of good buzz with that comic.

message 3: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) | 3857 comments I want to read Ms. Marvel too!

message 4: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) | 89 comments Ms. Marvel was pretty good; I really liked the art and the main character, but the plot didn't quite hook me in the first volume. I gave it 3.5 stars, but will still probably check out the next one. I think the concept is worthwhile. Let me know what you guys think if you read it!

message 5: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) | 89 comments Just finished The Great Gatsby. What a great book!

message 6: by Arushi (new)

Arushi (iceandfire07) | 98 comments Oh, I just finished The Great Gatsby as well. It was really good. I loved the writing style.

message 7: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) | 89 comments I loved the writing style too, Arushi! I think I will plan to reread it next year and see how it holds up. I think it is one that will get better each time. Have you read any of Fitzgerald's other works?

message 8: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5891 comments Good luck with your challenge, Rachel! What is your favorite book of the year so far?

message 9: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) | 89 comments Thanks, Cassandra! I think right now, it's a toss up between Bad Feminist and The Great Gatsby. But I have several coming up that I'm really looking forward to reading, so we will see what happens. How about you? What has been your favorite so far?

message 10: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5891 comments I'm currently reading Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King, which has really great descriptions and a story that sucked me right in. I'm still less than halfway through, but I think that will end up being my favorite so far. I have quite a few that I'm looking forward to as well.

message 11: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) | 89 comments Great! That one is on my to-read list for sure, so I'm glad to hear it's good. I think there is a sequel coming out later this year? Stephen King writes books faster than I can read them!! It's amazing.

message 12: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5891 comments I know! And they're not short books, either. I was surprised to see that it was listed as a trilogy on Goodreads, so I'm sure you're right.

message 13: by Arushi (new)

Arushi (iceandfire07) | 98 comments Rachel wrote: "I loved the writing style too, Arushi! I think I will plan to reread it next year and see how it holds up. I think it is one that will get better each time. Have you read any of Fitzgerald's oth..."

No, I haven't Rachel but I'm planning on reading more of his books. I'm currently reading The Game of Thrones series, though.

message 14: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) | 89 comments Arushi wrote: "Rachel wrote: "I loved the writing style too, Arushi! I think I will plan to reread it next year and see how it holds up. I think it is one that will get better each time. Have you read any of F..."

Cool, Arushi! Game of Thrones is really fun to read. I need to refresh my memory on all the characters before I try reading A Dance with Dragons again. I tried reading it a year ago or so, and was really confused, haha. I guess I waited too long to start it. Which book in the series are you reading now?

message 15: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) | 89 comments Just finished Brown Girl Dreaming. Such a beautiful, uniquely written book. I read a library copy, but will definitely be buying this for my own shelves.

message 16: by Rachel W (last edited Jan 31, 2015 09:41AM) (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) | 89 comments January Wrap-Up

14/52 = 26.9% of goal

Not a bad start this year! I just got a bunch of paper- and audiobooks from the library yesterday, so I'm also looking forward to what February has in store for me.

Favorite Fiction: The Great Gatsby
Favorite NF: Marmee and Louisa: The Untold Story of Louisa May Alcott and Her Mother
Favorite Graphic Novel: Saga, Volume 1
Biggest Surprise: Brown Girl Dreaming - I don't think of myself as a person who likes poetry, but this book is amazing. I could read it over and over again.

How is everyone else's challenge going?

message 17: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (LahaiRoi) | 4918 comments Challenge is going well so far, thanks for asking:) I'll have to take a look at Brown Girl Dreaming.

message 18: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) | 89 comments Ooh, Megan, I see you are reading A Suitable Boy right now too! I'm just starting Book 7 now, what do you think of it? My cousin and I have a plan to read a little each week and then talk about it. I am really enjoying it so far. Glad your challenge is going well!

message 19: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (LahaiRoi) | 4918 comments Rachel wrote: "Ooh, Megan, I see you are reading A Suitable Boy right now too! I'm just starting Book 7 now, what do you think of it? My cousin and I have a plan to read a little each week and then..."

I'm actually struggling with it right now. Because of the cultural differences and the different frame of reference, I have to work hard to understand everything that's happening in the book. I'm trying to read a few pages at a time but it's slow going. The fact that you're ahead of me and still enjoying it is encouraging. Thanks!

message 20: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) | 89 comments February wrap-up

Well, February wasn't such a great reading month for me after all! That's ok. I still enjoyed most of the books I read this month, especially Never Let Me Go.

19/52 = 36.5% of total

message 21: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) | 89 comments April wrap-up

Oops! Been away for a bit. I have been reading, but it's been a bit scattered and hard for me to stay focused. This tends to happen to me in March for some reason. However, I did read the entire Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews and really liked it! Urban fantasy is a great way to escape sometimes. I've already pre-ordered her next release in August :)

35/52 = 67.3% of total. Yay! I'm going to have to increase my goal!

message 22: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5891 comments You're doing great, Rachel! What have been some of your favorites this year?

I'll be reading Never Let Me Go with my TBR twin this month.

message 23: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) | 89 comments Cassandra wrote: "You're doing great, Rachel! What have been some of your favorites this year?

I'll be reading Never Let Me Go with my TBR twin this month."

Oh, I hope you like it Cassandra! That one is definitely in my top 5 of the year so far. I also couldn't put down Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mount Everest Disaster and Brown Girl Dreaming. I just finished The Shining for this month's Buddy Read and it was really, REALLY good. So compelling.

It's been a good year so far, but I have a lot left to look forward to. What have been some of your favorites?