Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Monthly Author Q&A > January 2015 Q&A and Giveaways

Comments Showing 1-50 of 156 (156 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Keli (last edited Jan 04, 2015 05:57PM) (new)

Keli Gwyn (keligwyn) | 757 comments It's 2015, and that means a whole new year full of LIHs are coming your way! We'll be shining the spotlight on all four of the January releases over the next four days.

Here's the schedule...

Monday, January 5th Penny Richards Penny Richards Wolf Creek Father by Penny Richards

Tuesday, January 6th Naomi Rawlings Naomi Rawlings Falling for the Enemy by Naomi Rawlings

Wednesday, January 7th Louise M. Gouge Louise M. Gouge Cowboy Seeks a Bride by Louise M. Gouge

Thursday, January 8th Mary Moore Mary Moore Accidental Fiancee by Mary Moore

We look forward to discussing these new releases with you! All four authors are participating in the giveaway, so you'll have several chances to win one of these wonderful stories.

See you tomorrow!

message 2: by Keli (new)

Keli Gwyn (keligwyn) | 757 comments I apologize if the opening post appears in digest without the covers. I'm a new LIH author, and this is the first time I've been privileged to host a Q&A. It's also the first time I've ever included an author photo or book cover in a comment here on Goodreads. I muffed up on my first attempt. I did a bit of editing, and I think I have it down now. :-)

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

message 3: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4927 comments Its come out ok for me.

message 4: by Keli (new)

Keli Gwyn (keligwyn) | 757 comments Ausjenny wrote: "Its come out ok for me."

Thanks for letting me know, Jenny. I hope it renders correctly in the digest.

message 5: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments Keli, you will do fine-looking great so far and this looks like some good authors and books to have fun with this month.
see you soon.

message 6: by Keli (new)

Keli Gwyn (keligwyn) | 757 comments Welcome, everyone! Penny Richards is our featured author for Monday, January 5th. She'll be talking about her latest release, Wolf Creek Father.

Penny Richards has written and sold contemporary romance since 1983. She took several years off to pursue other ventures, like editing a local oral history project and coauthoring a stage play. She also ran and operated Garden Getaways, a bed-and-breakfast and catering business. Her love of writing and all things historical led her to back to historical mysteries and inspirational romances. She is thrilled to be back and, God willing, hopes to write for many more years.

Wolf Creek Father
Wolf Creek Father by Penny Richards

A Wife for the Sheriff ?

Schoolteacher Allison Grainger loves educating the children of Wolf Creek, Arkansas. She's nearly at her wit's end, though, when it comes to Sheriff Colt Garrett's two unruly youngsters. But when Allison is forced to work with the prickly lawman, the handsome widower and his children prove to be both charming and the perfect complement to her own life.

Colt Garrett is too busy taming the West—and his children—to worry about the concerns of the only schoolteacher in Wolf Creek. That is, until he meets the striking Allison, whose infectious smile warms his heart. Could she be the mother figure his children have always wanted…and the wife he so longs for?

As the wife of a teacher and mother of a teaching assistant, I'm excited to see that your story features a schoolteacher. Have you been a teacher yourself, or are you, like me, proud to have one or more in your family? Did any of your own experiences as a young student work their way into your story? I have a hunch you weren't the model for the unruly Grainger children, so where did you get the ideas for their antics?

Penny is giving away one copy of her book. Her giveaway is international.

message 7: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4927 comments This sounds interesting how did you come up with the idea and in your research did you find any interesting titbits that surprised you?

message 8: by Penny (new)

Penny Richards | 97 comments Good morning, Jenny and Happy New Year.

The ideas for the Wolf Creek books come from characters, often minor characters that I "introduce" in a book and later think,should have their own story. Allison was the schoolteacher in WOLF CREEK WEDDING who came with other of Abby's friends to help decorate the house for her wedding to Caleb. As for Colt, well, I've always used the names of my grandchildren in my books. Now that I have "greats" I'm using their names. With a name like Colt Garrett, what could he be but a sheriff? I'd initially thought he'd wind up with Ellie at the cafe, but Allison had other plans. I'll be using another great-grandson's name (ace Allen) in WOLF CREEK WIDOW that will be out in September. One thing I found interesting was that dyslexia was actually recognized and "named," the year the book takes place, or the following year. My research had conflicting dates, so I chose to go with the earlier date since it fit my timeline. What really surprised me was that as I wrote I saw this book unfold as a much "lighter" than I usually write. Maybe because of those ornery kiddos! Thanks for joining me.

message 9: by Penny (new)

Penny Richards | 97 comments Hi, Keli! Happy New Year to you and thanks for hosting this months' authors, and for the kickoff question. Sorry I didn't answer it first.

I'm not a teacher, but I have been a substitute and it made me appreciate what those stalwart people do every day. I was also blessed to have some amazing teachers, one English teacher who started teaching at 16 and taught for 50 years. She loved diagramming and teaching us to diagram sentences. I can still do it pretty well, I think! LOL. I think it helps with the writing. Another I had my senior year loved Shakespeare and made me love his works so much I bought his entire works, read them and wondered why I didn't get it. She was amazing at teaching us and also the appreciation for the writing.

Sadly, contrary to your beliefs, I wasn't a little angel as a kid. In elementary school, I chased boys, (literally!) stayed out after dark, and in jr. high I wrote on the bathroom door with lipstick (yes my initials and a boy's in a heart--what was I thinking?) talked back to a teacher who made demeaning comments about a poor kid (I was taking up for him) and, in high school, I was trying to borrow a pencil and the teacher shook his meter stick in my face and asked me if I was too poor to buy one. I'm ashamed to admit took the stick away from him and told him never to do it again!! YIKES! So, Keli, I guess I may have used my terrible past as a springboard! All I can say is that I've always been for the underdog, and I think that as I grew up I learned to think before I act. (Maybe those teachers should have done that, too.) Wow! That may be too much information.

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Keli wrote: "I apologize if the opening post appears in digest without the covers. I'm a new LIH author, and this is the first time I've been privileged to host a Q&A. It's also the first time I've ever include..."

It looks great, Keli! Thanks so much for hosting!

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Penny wrote: "Good morning, Jenny and Happy New Year.

The ideas for the Wolf Creek books come from characters, often minor characters that I "introduce" in a book and later think,should have their own story. A..."

Congrats on your new release, Penny! I like what you said about characters changing your initial story plans. It's neat how your ideas can twist and turn in surprising ways.

message 12: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Hi Penny, LOVE your book cover! There's something about a big, strong man helping a child... It gets me everytime. :) And they look like they're really enjoying each other.

The name of your book immediately grabbed my attention. My sister lives on Wolf Creek Road.

I like what you said about your character Allison having other plans for Colt. Don't you just love it when a character "hi-jacks" your story?

message 13: by Melody (last edited Jan 05, 2015 10:44AM) (new)

Melody | 2493 comments My nephews name is Colt, so that grabbed my attention. He is five months old, and sure has stolen my heart! Love that you use family names, I always thought Colt worked for a hero name. :)

message 14: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 963 comments Sounds like a fun book! I like the premise because I'm sure in the Old West, being a single father would have been very difficult!

message 15: by Penny (new)

Penny Richards | 97 comments Dorothy wrote: "Hi Penny, LOVE your book cover! There's something about a big, strong man helping a child... It gets me everytime. :) And they look like they're really enjoying each other.

The name of your book i..."

Thanks about the comment about the cover. I agree that there is something very touching about a man showing gentleness. To me, a man who isn't afraid of that is really more manly. And yes, Dorothy I love it when characters hijack a plot line! It keeps the writing interesting, and often their ideas are much better than mine. LOL. It's always an adventure to see where they take me.

message 16: by Penny (new)

Penny Richards | 97 comments Melody wrote: "My nephews name is Colt,so that grabbed my attention. He is five months old, and sure has stolen my heart! Love that you use family names, I always thought Colt worked for a hero name. :)"

Isn't it a great name, Melody? My Colt just turned two and he is an adorable MESS! ALWAYS happy and on the go. I agree, it's a great hero name. Have a great new year.

message 17: by Penny (new)

Penny Richards | 97 comments Valri wrote: "Sounds like a fun book! I like the premise because I'm sure in the Old West, being a single father would have been very difficult!"

Thanks, Valri! Like you, I'm sure that being a single parent back then was hard for either sex. (just as it is now) Men were so much less invested in their kids' upbringing back then than they are now. I can only imagine that having a daughter approaching those dreaded teens must have been excruciating for a man. It WAS a fun book to write, even though I did tackle some serious issues. I hope I did them justice. The opening scene still makes me smile when I read it. Hoping your new year is amazing!

message 18: by Britney (last edited Jan 05, 2015 09:06AM) (new)

Britney | 230 comments Hi, Penny! Congratulations on the release of Wolf Creek Father! It sounds like a delightful story! Is Wolf Creek a fictitious setting or based on an actual place? Happy New Year!

message 19: by Paula-O (last edited Jan 05, 2015 09:08AM) (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments And thinking of names Penny, I am wondering why you have written under several names? Your story of Wolf creek seems like a great area and the characters some I would enjoy learning more about, thanks for writing historical as this is one I love best besides the amish stories.
surprised that you told so much about your young days growing up, I think you have plenty to write about. Kids do many dumb things but thank God they grow up and become responsible for the most part.

message 20: by Sam (last edited Jan 05, 2015 09:45AM) (new)

Sam B | 166 comments Hi everyone and happy New Year!

I agree with Dorothy, the cover is beautiful!
I think it's so sweet you use your grandchildren and great-grandchildren names in your books. Do they read your books when they are old enough? What do they think about the fact you use their names? They must like it :)

I bet you got a lot of ideas for the kids behavior through your own experience as a child ^_^ I was wondering what is the worst thing you did when your were in school?

By the way, I'm studying to become a High school teacher... Got any tips? :P

message 21: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Penny wrote: "Thanks, Valri! Like you, I'm sure that being a si..."

Penny, I just went and read part of your first scene. I can see why it makes you smile. :) I like Allison. And, as I wear glasses, I can well understand her reaction. LOL

message 22: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 963 comments I'll look forward to the first scene!

message 23: by Jane (new)

Jane | 34 comments I just finished just book and really enjoyed it.

How many more books are you planning for Wolf Creek?

message 24: by Jane (new)

Jane | 34 comments Sorry I meant to say " I just finished this book"

message 25: by Penny (last edited Jan 05, 2015 12:21PM) (new)

Penny Richards | 97 comments Britney wrote: "Hi, Penny! Congratulations on the release of Wolf Creek Father! It sounds like a delightful story! Is Wolf Creek a fictitious setting or based on an actual place? Happy New Year!"

hi Britney! I live in Delight, AR, which was called Wolf Creek back in the day. Wolf Creek itself is within walking distance of my house. While many of the businesses, etc are fictitious, I try to use "real" as much as possible. There is a lot of timber here, as well as gravel (book one). Thanks for the question.

message 26: by Penny (new)

Penny Richards | 97 comments Paula-O wrote: "And thinking of names Penny, I am wondering why you have written under several names? Your story of Wolf creek seems like a great area and the characters some I would enjoy learning more about, th..."

Hi, Paula. Great to hear from you. Well, as for my escapades growing up, yes, thank God we do grow up. the thing is, I really wasn't a bad kid. LOL. As for other names, I published two books with the late Sandra Canfield for Silhouette, and we wrote under the name Sandi Shane, since we used her first name and my maiden name. I also wrote as Bay Matthews when I wrote contemporary romance back in my younger days, when most houses preferred that you have a name that you "couldn't take with you" if you moved on. My Bay Matthews name was my Silhouette name and I wrote for Harlequin as Penny Richards.

message 27: by Penny (new)

Penny Richards | 97 comments Sam wrote: "Hi everyone and happy New Year!

I agree with Dorothy, the cover is beautiful!
I think it's so sweet you use your grandchildren and great-grandchildren names in your books. Do they read your books ..."

Sam, you can read about my "bad" escapades in my earlier comments. I suppose the lipstick fiasco was my worst. As for the teachers, well, they were just wrong. The thing is, I was very shy back in those days; I just can't stand injustice and guess I expected adults to act that way. As for my grandkids liking that I name characters after them, I have no idea. They were small when I did it, and I don't think any of them are big readers. Maybe someday they'll like it.

All best pursuing your high school teaching certificate. I guess my tip would be to keep things interesting and let them know you really care. Have a wonderful new year.

message 28: by Penny (new)

Penny Richards | 97 comments Dorothy wrote: "Penny wrote: "Thanks, Valri! Like you, I'm sure that being a si..."

Penny, I just went and read part of your first scene. I can see why it makes you smile. :) I like Allison. And, as I wear glasse..."

I wear glasses too, Dorothy, and my world is fuzzy without them!

message 29: by Penny (new)

Penny Richards | 97 comments Jane wrote: "I just finished just book and really enjoyed it.

How many more books are you planning for Wolf Creek?"

Jane, the fourth Wolf Creek book, WOLF CREEK WIDOW, will be out in September. It's the story of Ace Allen and Meg Thomerson, who has been a "walk on" character in each of the books. It's a story very special to me. At the moment, I plan two more books in Wolf Creek, so 6 altogether. Ellie and Win's story, and Blythe and Jubal Slade, all of whom you've "met" if you've read the first three. Then I think I'll move on to Washington, AR, (the capitol during the Civil War) and write about some strong women who are left behind when the men go to war.

message 30: by Sam (new)

Sam B | 166 comments Penny wrote: "Jane wrote: "I just finished just book and really enjoyed it.

Jane, the fourth Wolf Creek book, WOLF CREEK WIDOW, will be out in September. It..."

Thanks for the tips and encouragements :)

Even though there is going to be 6 books in the series, they can still be read as stand alone right?

Do you sometimes refer to something that happened in the previous book?

message 31: by June (new)

June | 366 comments These comments are all wonderful today! I too am looking forward to reading this one. It's fun to hear your 'younger' self stories and as I read them I chuckled and thought "Penny was a 'normal' kid!"

I've always wondered about the pen names and books authors re-issue etc. I guess it makes sense they wouldn't want you to take the name with you to another publisher.

Glad to hear there will be more Wolf Creek to come.

message 32: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4927 comments Penny wrote: "Good morning, Jenny and Happy New Year.

The ideas for the Wolf Creek books come from characters, often minor characters that I "introduce" in a book and later think,should have their own story. A..."

Wow that's interesting about the dyslexia.

message 33: by Penny (new)

Penny Richards | 97 comments Yes, Sam, they will stand alone. I try to make sure there is enough explanation of who characters are and their situations so that new readers won't be confused.

message 34: by Penny (new)

Penny Richards | 97 comments June wrote: "These comments are all wonderful today! I too am looking forward to reading this one. It's fun to hear your 'younger' self stories and as I read them I chuckled and thought "Penny was a 'normal' ki..."

Thanks, June. I'm enjoying writing them.

message 35: by Penny (new)

Penny Richards | 97 comments Ausjenny wrote: "Penny wrote: "Good morning, Jenny and Happy New Year.

The ideas for the Wolf Creek books come from characters, often minor characters that I "introduce" in a book and later think,should have thei..."

I was so glad to find out it was possible. Of course, there wasn't much known about the condition, so I just tried to use a common sense approach in Allison's approach to it.

message 36: by Jane (new)

Jane | 34 comments Penny wrote: "Jane wrote: "I just finished just book and really enjoyed it.

Jane, the fourth Wolf Creek book, WOLF CREEK WIDOW, will be out in September. It..."

I am glad they will get their own story, I specially liked the introduction of Blythe and Win in the last book.

message 37: by Penny (new)

Penny Richards | 97 comments Jane wrote: "Penny wrote: "Jane wrote: "I just finished just book and really enjoyed it.

Jane, the fourth Wolf Creek book, WOLF CREEK WIDOW, will be out in..."

Good to hear!

message 38: by Mary (new)

Mary Moore (goodreadscommary_moore) | 109 comments Hi Penny! Congratulations on your release! It does sound really good, doing my ordering this week once I get Christmas decorations down! I love it that your nephew is Colt. My 3 year old niece is Lydia and she's used in this book! Great start on your interviewing, Keli, thanks for helping us.

message 39: by Keli (new)

Keli Gwyn (keligwyn) | 757 comments Welcome to the second day of our Q&A! Naomi Rawlings is our featured author for Tuesday, January 6th. She'll be talking about her latest release, Falling for the Enemy.

A mother of two young boys, Naomi Rawlings spends her days picking up, cleaning, playing, and writing historical novels that matter for today. Her husband pastors a small church in Michigan's rugged Upper Peninsula, where her family shares its ten wooded acres with black bears, wolves, coyotes, deer and bald eagles. Naomi and her family live only three miles from Lake Superior, where the scenery is beautiful and they average 200 inches of snow per winter.

Falling for the Enemy
Falling for the Enemy by Naomi Rawlings

An Unlikely Alliance

Betrayed and stranded in France at the height of war, Lord Gregory Halston has few options. After rescuing his ailing brother from jail, they struggle to survive in hostile territory without outing themselves as Englishmen. Gregory hopes the feisty French peasant woman he meets is willing to guide them to safety.

Danielle Belanger doesn't wish to protect any man from the same country responsible for her brother's demise. But there's something about the determined Englishman that makes her willing to try. Though a match between Danielle and Gregory is impossible, their attraction can't be denied. The only thing more dangerous than aiding the enemy…is falling in love with him.

Wow! What a set-up for a story. How much more unlikely a couple can you get? Not only are Gregory and Danielle enemies, but there is also the divide between nobility and peasant. I can only imagine the sparks that must fly between them, the distrust that must be overcome and the clashes of cultures and social standings that take place.

Having traveled to France to visit our daughter who was working in Saint-Omer last year, I can understand why you'd want to set a story there. France is a beautiful country, and its people are warm and welcoming. Have you ever visited France or studied French? What are some of the facets of the French people that you worked to bring out in your story?

Naomi is giving away one copy of her book. US addresses only.

message 40: by Penny (new)

Penny Richards | 97 comments Mary wrote: "Hi Penny! Congratulations on your release! It does sound really good, doing my ordering this week once I get Christmas decorations down! I love it that your nephew is Colt. My 3 year old niece is L..."

Mary wrote: "Hi Penny! Congratulations on your release! It does sound really good, doing my ordering this week once I get Christmas decorations down! I love it that your nephew is Colt. My 3 year old niece is L..."

Thanks Mary! And thanks to everyone who sent in questions. i enjoy the interaction a lot. And MANY thanks to you, Keli for hosting us. Great job!

message 41: by Penny (new)

Penny Richards | 97 comments I recall Sandra Brown saying years ago that if the hero was a firefighter, the heroine should be an arsonist, advice Naomi has taken in spades! I love the premise and look forward to reading the book.

message 42: by Naomi (new)

Naomi Rawlings | 90 comments Penny wrote: "I recall Sandra Brown saying years ago that if the hero was a firefighter, the heroine should be an arsonist, advice Naomi has taken in spades! I love the premise and look forward to reading the book."

Funny Penny. I've wanted to write this book for a long time, but I kind of needed to write the preceding book in the series first. It tied everything together between the first and third novels of the Belanger Family Saga. Honestly, I LOVE writing stories where the hero and heroine have very good reasons to be enemies. Falling for the Enemy is certainly one of those novels. Sanctuary for a Lady, the first novel in the series, is also similar in that regard.

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments Hey everyone! I hope you all had a great Christmas and New Years! I love the sound of both Penny's & Naomi's book.

Naomi is Falling for the Enemy the start of or part of a series? What are you currently working on?

message 44: by Penny (new)

Penny Richards | 97 comments Naomi wrote: "Penny wrote: "I recall Sandra Brown saying years ago that if the hero was a firefighter, the heroine should be an arsonist, advice Naomi has taken in spades! I love the premise and look forward to ..."

In my humble estimation, conflict, real conflict, is the engine that runs the story. Happy sales! :)

message 45: by Naomi (new)

Naomi Rawlings | 90 comments Keli, I've never been to France, sadly, but my paternal grandfather was French Canadian. My maiden name growing up was Montpetit, which I'm told means small mountain. I remember relatives at family reunions speaking French instead of English. Maybe that's where some of my fascination came from. I've always found the French Revolution interesting and wondered what it would be like for those aristocrats born with everything at their fingers to lose all their wealth, power, and land so brutally. Once I wrote that story, the series just grew from there.

And really, if you end up with a French heroine during the Napoleonic Wars because of other books you've already written, how can you do anything but put her with a British noble? It's just too good a setup to let pass. :-)

message 46: by Naomi (new)

Naomi Rawlings | 90 comments For those of you interested, the other books in the Belanger Family Saga are Sanctuary for a Lady by Naomi Rawlings and The Soldier's Secrets by Naomi Rawlings . There's definitely some recurring characters. In fact, Dani in Falling for the Enemy is a twelve-year-old girl in The Soldier's Secrets, and she was a fun character to write even as a child. Always so full of mischief, that Dani.

message 47: by Naomi (new)

Naomi Rawlings | 90 comments Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance wrote: "Naomi is Falling for the Enemy the start of or part of a series? What are you cu..."

Hi Laura, I had a very nice and relaxing Christmas and New Year. Thanks for asking. I hope you enjoyed the holidays as well.

No, Falling for the Enemy is not the start of a new series. At the moment, it's the end of the Belanger Family Saga, which follows the Belanger family for about 10 years during the French Revolution and Napoleonic Wars. I'd like to write more Belanger Family books at some point--I certainly have several more novels spinning in my mind--but those stories aren't going to happen anytime soon.

I do have a new series that starts in March though, in case you're interested. Love's Unfading Light by Naomi Rawlings

message 48: by Jane (new)

Jane | 34 comments I'm only in the first few pages of Falling for the Enemy--so please don't enter me in the giveaway :)

Are your future books also set in France?

message 49: by Naomi (new)

Naomi Rawlings | 90 comments Jane wrote: "Are your future books also set in France?"

Hi Jane, I have two previous books set in France, which I listed above. But no, I'm currently working on a series set on Lake Superior during the 1880s. Maybe I'll get back to France one day though.

I hope you enjoy the novel.

message 50: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments Hi Naomi, your next books sound like my kind in the 1800's and near Lake Superior..great.
I got the chance to see this huge lake when my brother and sister and I took a trip to Macinac Island.
BUT..for this Falling for the Enemy book now, interesting characters and I am sure given the chance to read I will like the story you have wove. your childhood sounds interesting -do you speak french? I wish you had been able to research in France for this one, I would like to travel there. I don't know much about this war so no questions about it but the characters now I like the idea of brothers, will they both get a love interest?

« previous 1 3 4