Our Shared Shelf discussion

June/Jul: Betraying Big Brother > Anti-Asian Racism & COVID

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1070 comments Mod
If this year has taught us anything, it has been to take a good look at things that our eyes have slid past far too often. COVID, for example, is laying bare our more vulnerable populations as we deal with the virus, but also the growing hatred against "The Model Minority" or our Asian community members in Europe and the US.

"On May 8, 2020, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said that “the pandemic continues to unleash a tsunami of hate and xenophobia, scapegoating and scare-mongering” and urged governments to “act now to strengthen the immunity of our societies against the virus of hate.”

Government leaders and senior officials in some instances have directly or indirectly encouraged hate crimes, racism, or xenophobia by using anti-Chinese rhetoric. Several political parties and groups, including in the United States, United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, Greece, France, and Germany have also latched onto the Covid-19 crisis to advance anti-immigrant, white supremacist, ultra-nationalist, anti-semitic, and xenophobic conspiracy theories that demonize refugees, foreigners, prominent individuals, and political leaders.

“Racism and physical attacks on Asians and people of Asian descent have spread with the Covid-19 pandemic, and government leaders need to act decisively to address the trend,” said John Sifton, Asia advocacy director. “Governments should act to expand public outreach, promote tolerance, and counter hate speech while aggressively investigating and prosecuting hate crimes.”

https://www.hrw.org/news/2020/05/12/c...

What do you know about the phrase "the Model Minority" and have you seen it in practice?
How does the stigma attached to 'The Model Minority" effect your community?

Sieuthismarthome | 1 comments I'll try reading this book.

message 3: by Vi (new)

Vi ✨ being infinite (tanviohol) | 13 comments https://youtu.be/87QkjfUEbz4

using the term Model Minority as a wedge between Black racism and Asian racism is so problematic.It's like being told to accept the racism after being congratulated for being obedient.

Being an Asian myself, I've heard of so many incidents where people of other countries stereotyped my family members.

But for American Asians it's like being treated like a foreigners in their own country when they even have a citizenship.

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 260 comments never heard the term 'model minority' before. it's just hard for me to fathom the amount of hate people hold, and the different ways they find to spread it around, be it race, gender, nationality - whatever.

the more i learn, the less i understand.

message 5: by Annie (new)

Annie | 44 comments Sandra wrote: " the more i learn, the less i understand."

Right?!

I have heard the term before. It reminds me of the escalation of the approved protest.

African American's ride busses, march, stage sit ins, etc. That's not how you protest says the man.

So they hold peaceful walk outs where they clog up traffic. That's not how you protest says angry commuters.

So they take a knee at sporting events when the flag is being flown and people loose their mind.

Right now so many people have opinions on what is the right way to get your voice heard and the wrong way. And one of the things that gets me is how people constantly say protesting doesn't work.... Just look at the Asian Americans. You don't see them rioting.

This is just a way of pitting one minority group against another. Trying to keep the anger and feeling of injustice away from those who actually have the power: the majority.

And in case we forget....
The Japanese Americans were pushed into internnent camps in WW2. They lost their livelihood.
The Chinese Americans were permitted nothing but back breaking labor building the West's railroads and canals.
The Indian and Sikh population are constantly being searched at airports and deemed terrorists.

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 260 comments and the indigenous americans were slaughtered, betrayed, forced from their land, and portrayed misleadingly in history books and movies. this has been going on forever. it sickens my soul.

i've marched, demonstrated, advocated, and volunteered, lived thru the civil rights movement, experienced curfews in my city back then, and saw change come about because of all these peaceful means of making my voice heard.

i'm just sorry that i'm too old and sick now to participate, but i have raised my fist in protest.

message 7: by Vi (new)

Vi ✨ being infinite (tanviohol) | 13 comments @Sandra glad you could learn something new from me

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 260 comments Vi wrote: "@Sandra glad you could learn something new from me"

never to old to learn, right? thanks for bringing this to my attention!

message 9: by Latricia (new)

Latricia (lunadiana) | 26 comments I am not speaking for the black community but in my experience people have been saying , white people, that since we have it the most though its not our fault we are the reason for it because "we arent clean..." untrue and very rude its just another problem we have to deal with