Our Shared Shelf discussion

Announcements > Betraying Big Brother: OSS Read for June / July

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pam (last edited Jun 10, 2020 10:26AM) (new)

Pam | 1070 comments Mod
On March 6, 2015, the Chinese government arrested Wei Tingting, Zheng Churan, Wu Rongrong, Li Maizi and Wang Man, five women accused of “picking quarrels and provoking trouble” by passing out stickers against sexual harassment in a subway station. The arrests of these women, dubbed the Feminist Five, galvanized viewers into paying attention to one of the most censored and restrictive nations in the world.

Leta Hong Fincher's Betraying Big Brother: The Feminist Awakening in China is a crucial reminder for the need of the feminist movement and the enduring persistence of its members. This look at contemporary feminism broadens the discussion from a non-Eurocentric, Chinese perspective on #MeToo; focusing on what such a movement might mean to Chinese women (who make up one-fifth of the world’s female population) and for all others straining against gendered restrictions and abuses.

It is through groups like OSS that are cross-class and transnational that women are increasingly able to stand in solidarity against patriarchal regimes. And for me, it reawakened my drive to work harder, speak louder, and move faster against the issues that are still present in my free nation.

I'm so thrilled that we will be reading it together as I cannot wait to hear your thoughts and ideas.

In solidarity,

The OSS Mod team

message 2: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia | 9 comments Can’t wait to read it!

message 3: by Julia (new)

Julia | 3 comments All the books picked so far have been incredibly well chosen and inspiring. I would just like to make a suggestion for the months after this selection. I have briefly spoken about this book in another thread: “Inferior” by Angela Saini. This book is about the common misconceptions regarding the biological, physiological and mental differences between men and women. There have been many myths and hypotheses produced by sexist studies and mindsets, which are still pervasive today and widely believed by many people.
I think that some the thinking that she applies in this book is also very relevant in the ongoing racism debate and it would be incredibly important to discuss this. There are still misconceptions in medicine regarding the pain tolerance of people of colour which in turn leads to fewer pain medication being prescribed... I think that this book would be a great tool to understand the background of research better in order to notice how studies or “scientific facts” might be skewed or influenced by the personal perspective and how to debunk them. In addition to another book that perhaps covers the social aspects that particularly women of colour (of all communities transgender etc.) are affected by, I believe it could be a great choice. Let me know what you guys think 🙂

message 4: by Florian (last edited Jun 03, 2020 08:51AM) (new)

Florian (laughingflow) | 215 comments Hi Julia,
It looks interesting. No idea whether OSS Team will have time to add it but it seems worth taking a look at it. I'll add to my list.
Thanks for the suggestion!

message 5: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (designermomaz) | 1 comments Oh, wow!

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan Cheang | 97 comments I want to read it. But how can I when the library is closed from this circuit breaker?

message 7: by Annie (new)

Annie | 44 comments Reading it now! It's really good!

message 8: by Casey (new)

Casey Williams (caseywilliams) | 4 comments Just started listening on audio. So interesting and eye opening.

message 9: by Vi (new)

Vi ✨ being infinite (tanviohol) | 13 comments https://youtu.be/Ad-YqwhUsTE

from 23:29 in this video, a lot of videos and photos of powerful campaigns ran by the groupc 'THE FEMINIST FIVE' can be seen. The pictures show the several campaigns they started in China and the hardships faced by them.

'Feminism awakening in China' has been portrayed effectively in the video from 23:29. DO WATCH IT TO BECOME AWARE OF HOW HARD IT WAS TO START THE FEMINIST MOVEMENT IN CHINA AND HOW INSPIRATIONAL THE PROCESS WAS

message 10: by Becca (new)

Becca Young | 1 comments Please correct punctuation in the second paragraph: persistence of its members.
This is totally not a big deal, but the possessive form of "it" doesn't use an apostrophe.
"it's" means "it is": the apostrophe replaces the missing "i" in "is".

message 11: by Zarine (new)

Zarine | 4 comments Julia wrote: "All the books picked so far have been incredibly well chosen and inspiring. I would just like to make a suggestion for the months after this selection. I have briefly spoken about this book in anot..."

Hi Julia,
I'm new here & trying to post - keeps telling me my email isn't verified - let's see if this works. Sounds interesting indeed & I have added it to my list. Do you mind not saying "you guys" please? I realise a lot of younger folks do it, guess I'm an old feminist - I keep meaning to write a Linked In post on this. Alternatives - you all, you, all of you etc etc. It's male normative.

message 12: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1070 comments Mod
Becca wrote: "Please correct punctuation in the second paragraph: persistence of its members.
This is totally not a big deal, but the possessive form of "it" doesn't use an apostrophe.
"it's" means "it is": the..."

Thanks for having my back Becca!

message 13: by Zarine (new)

Zarine | 4 comments Casey wrote: "Just started listening on audio. So interesting and eye opening."

Casey, which audio do you use? I still read the old fashioned way but am now seriously thinking of getting on to Audible or something due to lack of time to read everything on my wish list - but how do you go back & re-read something or listen again, or make notes? Is it all kind of self explanatory? I'm not a technophobe by any means (I'm here, ain't I?!) but audiobooks - ah, that's another step ... I spend time in the kitchen & in the garden & that would be my prime listening times. No work commutes right now, but yes, travel times eventually.

message 14: by Casey (new)

Casey Williams (caseywilliams) | 4 comments Zarine wrote: "Casey wrote: "Just started listening on audio. So interesting and eye opening."

Casey, which audio do you use? I still read the old fashioned way but am now seriously thinking of getting on to Aud..."

I use the amazon audiobooks app, I got the book through a free trial. you can also easily take notes through the app, by clicking the button in the right hand corner that say clip. It will clip a certain part of the audio for you and then you have an option to add a note. You can also click on the chapters option to go directly to a certain chapter in a book. Everything you need will be on the bottom bar when you open up the book on audio. I know how you feel, the time to read physical books is very limited. I hope this helps.

message 15: by Zarine (new)

Zarine | 4 comments Casey wrote: "Zarine wrote: "Casey wrote: "Just started listening on audio. So interesting and eye opening."

Casey, which audio do you use? I still read the old fashioned way but am now seriously thinking of ge..."

Tx so much for your helpful reply Casey! Happy read/listening!

message 17: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Morris | 89 comments I am just waiting on my copy which is on order at my library.