I Weigh Book Club 2020 discussion

Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body
This topic is about Hunger
May 2020 > #IWeighBookClub May 2020 | Check-in #2

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by I Weigh Book Club (last edited May 28, 2020 01:11PM) (new) - added it

I Weigh Book Club (i_weigh) | 3 comments Mod
CHECK-IN QUESTION: Looking back on your own experiences, tell us about a time when you realized you were "holding back" on something.

For our last May #IWeighBookClub check-in, we're finishing up the second half Roxane Gay's 'Hunger' where she breaks down how society's view of "thinness" has clouded her own relationship with herself, and impacted her own healing.

The older she gets, the more she realizes that her "sad stories will always weigh" on her, but that the "burden lessens the more I realize who I am and what I am worth."

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 1 comments I found this part of the book to be so illuminating. It re-framed what I considered a very private problem into a societal issue. Problems larger than me and how those problem are meant to make me feel less than in my private life. It really felt like someone had a candle in an otherwise dark and empty room and she was bringing light and hope to me by reviling the way forward.

Also, ever since I read this book I have felt such a since of relief as if a weight has been taken off my chest. Recovery isn't perfect. It is messy, you will get angry and upsdet but don't stop trying to find your peace.
( I am terrible at grammar and spelling sorry if this is jumbly)