YA Addicted Book Club discussion

Series/Buddy Reads Archive > Chronicles of Narnia

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) | 1841 comments Mod
Hi All,
So I don't know about you but I am super excited that Netflix are doing a Chronicles of Narnia adaptation and not only that but they are doing the series in chronological order so actually starting with The Magician's Nephew.

Well I absolutely loved these books as a kid and I don't actually think I finished all of them so me and Britt thought it would be cool to buddy read the series. Feel free to join. We haven't necessarily set a date yet but we would love it if you could join us and if you want to let us know when would be a good date to start.

Reading Order:
1. The Magician's Nephew
2. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
3. The Horse and His Boy
4. Prince Caspian
5. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
6. The Silver Chair
7. The Last Battle

message 2: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 4412 comments Mod
I'm so excited for this

message 3: by Elena (new)

Elena Granger | 1038 comments I want to join in June-July. Is it ok? I haven't read the series when I was a kid and really want to read it this year.

message 4: by Brittany (new)

Perfect we would love to have you read them with us!

message 5: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Yes that's perfect. We will always tag spoilery comments and state which book it is from so just join in the conversation when you can.

I'm going to start The Magician's Nephew today after I have finished catching up on my blog.

message 6: by Brittany (new)

I have gotten to chapter 7 of The Magician's Nephew. So far its alright. Sometimes I have to remind myself when it was written (view spoiler)

message 7: by Brittany (new)

Finished it! Enjoyed seeing how everything came to be. When I first read these I read the first 4 I believe but in publication order so this one was a first time read for me.
(view spoiler)

message 8: by Brittany (new)

I think I will probably read these between other things even though they are fast reads.

message 9: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

I've finished The Magician's Nephew and The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.

The Magician's Nephew: (view spoiler)

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe (view spoiler)

I don't think I've actually read any of the rest of this series but I'm definitely going to take a break between books. I'll update here when I've started the next book.

message 10: by Gwen (new)

Gwen | 67 comments I finished The Voyage of the Dawn Treader this evening. The writing is still a bit odd to me but I'm finally starting to enjoy the stories. Up 'till now the only one I absolutely didn't like is the first one.

message 11: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Glad you’re enjoying. I’m reading The Horse and His Boy at the moment and I totally get what you mean. They’re super short books but they actually take me a bit to get through coz of the writing. I’m hoping to get this one finished tomorrow.

message 12: by Brittany (new)

I haven't gotten back to continue yet but I will! Glad you are enjoying them though

message 13: by Gwen (new)

Gwen | 67 comments Completely finished Narnia a few minutes ago :)

message 14: by Gord (new)

Gord | 476 comments I read this series about four years ago and I had some issues with the series. I never read this as a kid so I was approaching this with a set of adult eyes. I loved the concept of the world of Narnia and think it's a world ripe with adventure. What killed things for me was the not so subtle messaging that was forcibly injected into every book. I'm being polite here as I don't know my audience but in my opinion the messaging derailed the books and made them unbearable.

My favorite book, looking back at the scores I gave them, was Voyage of the Dawn Treader. It was an interesting look into the world of Narnia itself.

message 15: by Brittany (new)

How did you enjoy it Gwen? Which was your favourite story? I'm hoping to get back to reading these soonish.

Completely understand what you are saying Gord. I try to give them some leeway based on when they were written as well as the nostalgia factor. They will never be the same story I read as a kid but the world is so neat!

message 16: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

I've read the first three as my re-read and I'm unsure whether I'm going to continue and finish them. I have such a nostalgic love for the series from when I was younger but other than The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe I haven't really enjoyed them. I don't wanna ruin my love for the series by reading them as an adult and not like them. I'm probably gonna try one more book and see how I like it before deciding whether to abandon them or not.

message 17: by Gord (new)

Gord | 476 comments Brittany wrote: "Completely understand what you are saying Gord. I try to give them some leeway based on when they were written as well as the nostalgia factor. They will never be the same story I read as a kid but the world is so neat! "

In the beginning I was trying to give it leeway as well but as the books went along it just got harder and harder to do. I was past caring at this point but the last book was a great example.

Spoilers for The Last Battle
(view spoiler)

message 18: by Jo (last edited Jul 22, 2020 09:34AM) (new)

Jo Elliott | 1472 comments The only Narnia I ever finished was The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, for whatever reason, I couldn't get into any of the others and I tried several (Voyage of The Dawn Treader, Prince Caspian, The Magician's Nephew). I don't know why I couldn't get into the others, but I never could. To be honest, I don't feel bad about it now though because I'm not religious so I think the religious allegory would hit differently now than it did when I was a kid.

message 19: by Gwen (new)

Gwen | 67 comments @Brittany I'm actually glad I'm done with Narnia. The writing style isn't my thing and sometimes the stories are a bit weird to me. But if I had to pick a favourite it would probably be "the lion, the witch and the wardrobe" and "the horse and his boy"

message 20: by Brittany (new)

Gwen wrote: "@Brittany I'm actually glad I'm done with Narnia. The writing style isn't my thing and sometimes the stories are a bit weird to me. But if I had to pick a favourite it would probably be "the lion, ..."

Completely fair. I think these books are a classic case of works that did not withstand the times.