Our Little Group SSSH discussion

1 view
A Ladder to the Sky

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 48 comments Mod
Four stars, a rip-roaring, fast-paced page turner, worth it if only for the Gore Vidal chapter - sounded so like him. Loved it.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Brereton | 49 comments I read it a short while ago, and gave it five stars. I was recommended to read it by a friend, and oh my goodness, it did not disappoint ! Yes, Shirley, it was fast paced and surprised me throughout. I loved the way it was split into sections, detailing just how wicked Maurice Swift was. The question I ask myself, is was his conceitful life totally believable ? During the book there is a period of time when he is happily married, does this match his character ? I am not sure. I read the book with anticipation and excitement at what was to come next, could not put it down. A pleasure to read. It made me look at what else John Boyne has written, I will be reading, 'The Heart's Invisible Furies', one of his next. I cannot wait ! x

message 3: by Shirley (new)

Yes I will definitely read more Boyne too.
I don’t think I’d call that a happy marriage, think he only married for a baby maker. I think he was believable as a character, we only have to look around at our world leaders for real life examples of opportunists and psychopaths being successful in their fields. The need for a child seemed like a sticking point though, not sure how believable that was, as Boyne didn’t really delve into Maurice’s reasons for wanting a child. Also the ‘King Kong’ ending was a bit of humour that I think Boyne couldn’t resist, how likely would it be to have a cell mate on a par with Henry James?

message 4: by Sarah (last edited May 28, 2020 12:57PM) (new)

Sarah Brereton | 49 comments For me, although the book showed just how cruel a character, (real life person?), can be, it was also full of lots of humour amongst the darkness. This was interspersed throughout the book, which I think added to the quality of the story. The character's cell mate at the end of the book, was the last laugh from the author. Maurice Swift was not a likeable character, but he is a character that I will remember. Did I tell you that I loved this book ? x

message 5: by Shirley (new)

I’m not sure I noticed humour in the book, satire yes but nothing made me laugh especially. I’m also wondering now about Maurice’s credibility; apart from the unexplained need for a child, would he really have blurted out that whole confession to Theo at the end, even if only the plagiarism?
Still an excellent read despite my concerns.