OCLRE Civics Book Club discussion

General > Introductions

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by OCLRE (new)

OCLRE | 5 comments Mod
Hello Everyone!

Welcome to the Ohio Center for Law-Related Education’s Civics Book Club. Our virtual book club was born out of a desire to connect with our teachers and volunteers during a time where our face-to-face interactions are limited, but we hope to continue this project indefinitely. We are grateful for a space to connect with everyone as we further our commitment to lifelong learning.

This group will be a home for online discussion about OCLRE’s book club selections. Whether you join our group discussions on Zoom or are reading along independently, we welcome you to submit questions and comments, and to reply to others’ comments, to keep the conversations flowing. We hope this space will allow you to connect with members of the book club community as we recognize and appreciate everyone as scholars and reflective practitioners of civic education.

In the thread below, you will find a place to introduce yourself to the community in addition to chapter by chapter group discussions for the current book selection. We encourage you to join us and invite a friend as we begin the OCLRE Civics Book Club journey!

message 2: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Suskey (r_suskey) | 6 comments Hi everyone! I'll start off the introductions chain!

I'm Ryan Suskey, the Director of PD & Programs at OCLRE. As I suspect to be true of most of us civics nerds... I am a big reader, and am so excited to be part of the OCLRE Civics Book Club!

As a teacher, I always believed that I was at my best when I was embracing my own role as a lifelong student. I liked reading books both within and outside of my discipline to help broaden my worldview and find new and interesting things to share with my students. I hope this book club will help us all to forge stronger links with each other and our content!

Looking forward to meeting and chatting with you all!

Charles E Wills | 1 comments Hello! I'm Evan Wills. I've been a teacher for 10 years. This year I am transitioning from Intervention to Government, Psychology, and Sociology. Social Studies has always been my passion as well as my initial licensure area.

I am excited to take any and all opportunities to learn in these areas. I can't wait until the current book gets delivered. As a mock trial coach coming off last year's case, it seems like it should be a very interesting read.

I teach in Wheelersburg Local Schools in southern Ohio. I'm not sure if I'll zoom much, but I'll hopefully be active in the club. Take care!

message 4: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Suskey (r_suskey) | 6 comments Charles E Wills wrote: "Hello! I'm Evan Wills. I've been a teacher for 10 years. This year I am transitioning from Intervention to Government, Psychology, and Sociology. Social Studies has always been my passion as well a..."

Thank you for joining us, Evan! Looking forward to having great discussions about The Schoolhouse Gate: Public Education, the Supreme Court, and the Battle for the American Mind and the many books to come!