Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant
Page Numbering Requests > Please add page count ASIN B0011DIF02

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeff (new) - added it

message 2: by Alex (new)

Alex | 2739 comments When it comes to ebooks, because the settings or screen size of a reader's device can change the page count, only official counts from the publisher are considered acceptable for addition.
In the case of Kindle editions, Amazon is considered the authority on page counts.

As there has been a cover change on amazon, it cannot be used for the older edition, however I have created the ACE here: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...

message 3: by Jeff (new) - added it

Jeff | 959 comments Ok, just so I'm clear, the cover that is now in the edition page that shows the ASIN is the previous cover? I guess that edition existed previously but without the ASIN? It seems that these might be entirely different editions, not just a different cover. The title isn't the same, and the page counts are very far off. Also, the publisher is different. If they are indeed different, I don't think the one with "Complete" in the title that is 458 pages is still available.

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex | 2739 comments No, it's not the previous cover, it is the most recent cover, currently available on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...

As per GR policy, I moved the ASIN to the newest edition.

To begin with, "Personal Memoirs" was combined with other editions that were all the complete Personal Memoirs, so it would seem that they just highlighted that fact when they republished.

message 5: by Jeff (new) - added it

Jeff | 959 comments So the ACE has the most recent cover, the one that currently appears on Amazon. The edition that the ASIN was moved to has a different cover than the one currently shown on Amazon.

In any case... if Amazon is the authority to be used for page counts, why would it show 458 rather than the 282 shown on Amazon? And why can't the page count be added to the ACE?

Thanks.

message 6: by Alex (new)

Alex | 2739 comments Both editions are in effect Alternate Cover Editions (ACEs). It just means they are editions of the same book with different covers.

The most recent one gets the ASIN, yes, because we never delete covers as per policy and only 1 edition can have the unique identifier.

That link of amazon you posted shows The Complete Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant by Ulysses S. Grant this cover for me and a page count of 458. If it is showing something different for you, it may be because you have bought the older edition of that book, so it is overriding it somehow? You might want to try logging out of your amazon account and checking again.

message 7: by Sassafrass (last edited May 29, 2020 08:17AM) (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 18 comments I'm sorry to butt in here but that link shows me a white cover and a page count of 282. I have not bought the book.

ETA: may it be a different cover/editions for different countries?

message 8: by Alex (new)

Alex | 2739 comments Sassafrass wrote: "I'm sorry to butt in here but that link shows me a white cover and a page count of 282. I have not bought the book.

ETA: may it be a different cover/editions for different countries?"

Really? That's so bizarre, I've never seen that kind of thing happen for the exact same webpage.

message 9: by Jeff (new) - added it

Jeff | 959 comments Ok well that's strange if we're seeing different stuff. I logged out and back in as you suggested, and I still see the white cover with (exactly) "Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant" as the title. I purchased it on May 13, 2020. I'd add screen shots but I don't know how. Here's the product info from the same link:

Product details
File Size: 1038 KB
Print Length: 282 pages
Page Numbers Source ISBN: 1679058819
Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
Publisher: LeClue [Kindle] (December 15, 2007)
Publication Date: December 15, 2007
Sold by: Amazon.com Services LLC
Language: English
ASIN: B0011DIF02
Text-to-Speech: Enabled
X-Ray:
Not Enabled
Word Wise: Enabled
Lending: Enabled
Screen Reader: Supported
Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #204 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#2 in World History (Kindle Store)
#2 in Biographies of Political Leaders
#2 in American Military History

message 10: by Jeff (new) - added it

Jeff | 959 comments Sassafrass wrote: "I'm sorry to butt in here but that link shows me a white cover and a page count of 282. I have not bought the book.

ETA: may it be a different cover/editions for different countries?"

Alex - if you click this URL (or copy-paste it), does it change from the following after it opens the page? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...

message 11: by Alex (new)

Alex | 2739 comments Jeff wrote: "Alex - if you click this URL (or copy-paste it), does it change from the following after it opens the page? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..."

Nope, the url stays exactly the same but the content is clearly very different.

In any case, since Sassafrass confirms that amazon shows 282 for the Kindle with that cover, I have updated that, but as for which of the editions should be considered primary, maybe Rivka should decide.

message 12: by Jeff (last edited May 29, 2020 08:51AM) (new) - added it

Jeff | 959 comments Ok, so I started looking through the other editions, and I see the one with the cover you're seeing. It has a different ASIN and says 458 pages, and it's available for purchase. https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Perso...

Also, that one (B00427YS2I) has 70 chapters. B0011DIF02 only has 39. (From the "look inside") feature.

message 13: by Alex (new)

Alex | 2739 comments You are right, even though everything else says B0011DIF02, at the bottom of the page it shows ASIN B00427YS2I. I have adapted the entry to be an ACE for the correct edition and restored the ASIN to the original edition.

message 14: by Jeff (new) - added it

Jeff | 959 comments Hmm, it's also an extra $0.19 for you, only $0.99 for me.

What does it show in the Product Details when you scroll down (which ASIN)?

Can you see the other one when you go to the other editions? Mine shows the same number (92). Does the ASIN in the URL change when you switch editions?

From what I'm seeing, with the different page counts, numbers of chapters, covers/titles, and different ASINs, these are separate editions, no?

message 15: by Alex (new)

Alex | 2739 comments See message #13 above, but, if you're curious:

1. No I couldn't find your edition in the other Kindle editions. Also, the ASIN in the url did not change.

2. I am afraid the answer to that might be yes, but I have no idea what I should combine it with because the Ulysses S. Grant editions are a mess DX

message 16: by Jeff (new) - added it

Jeff | 959 comments Ok, thanks, I hadn't seen #13 earlier. Well it shows 92 editions for both of us, so I'm guessing it's in there somewhere. These two are the top two on the list for me when I expand the Kindle editions.

I'm not sure what the GR guidelines say, but it seems like Amazon is considering them editions of the same book. But I can see why it would be a mess, with all the different titles, complete/not, different volumes, etc.

message 17: by Alex (new)

Alex | 2739 comments If it's an abridged edition, it should stay where it is. If it's only a part it should be with all of the same parts. Is it abridged?

message 18: by Jeff (new) - added it

Jeff | 959 comments Actually, ignore what I said earlier about only containing the first 39 chapters (Volume 1). I had looked at the TOC in the sample, but couldn't see that it was broken up in this edition. I looked in the Kindle book and the TOC for Volume 2 appears at the end of Volume 1. So this edition contains both volumes. Each "page" in the Kindle edition appears to actually be 2 side-by-side pages if it were in a print edition, which explains the relatively low page count.

It seems like it should stay where it is, then. It's not abridged. Thanks!

message 19: by Alex (new)

Alex | 2739 comments That's a relief! Not prepared for a deep dive into the hundreds of editions of Grant's memoirs! XD

message 20: by Jeff (new) - added it

Jeff | 959 comments Agreed, thanks for your help!