Play Book Tag discussion

Conceal, Don't Feel
This topic is about Conceal, Don't Feel
May 2020: Other Books > [Poll Ballot] Conceal, Don't Feel by Jen Calonita 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Charlotte | 1492 comments Conceal, Don't Feel by Jen Calonita
3 stars

I've been trying all the different Disney series due to Poll Ballot and this one is called Twisted Tales. They take a known Disney tale and then add a twist...

In the original Frozen (in case you live under a rock and don't know) Anna and Elsa are sisters. Elsa has magical winter powers and can create snow and ice, especially when she is upset. When Elsa and Anna are kids they wake up one night and start playing in the ballroom of the palace (since they are the kids of the King and Queen of Arendelle) and Elsa creates a winder wonderland. Anna is jumping on piles of snow that Elsa creates but starts to go to fast and in her haste, instead of creating a new snow pile to catch Anna, Elsa accidentally hits Anna with her magic. The King rushes them to the Trolls for their help. The Trolls fix Anna and everyone decides to hid Elsa's magic and teach her not to feel. Elsa basically locks herself in her room to keep away from Anna and Anna is bored out of her mind. Then the rest of Frozen happens, King and Queen die, during Elsa's coronation she freaks and creates an eternal winter as she runs away to the North Mountain (enter the song "Let It Go"), the duplicitous Hans tries to woo Anna, Elsa comes back and her love for Anna saves not only Anna but also all of Arendelle, then the happily ever after.

In this Twisted Tale, what if the something happened when the Trolls tried to fix Anna? Elsa doesn't want the Trolls to erase Anna's memories and tried to intercede. When her magic combines with the Troll's a curse is created. Whenever Anna gets near Elsa, Anna is consumed with cold and starts to die. To keep Anna and Elsa safe the King and Queen are forced to separate them and the Queen's friend adopts Anna. As part of the curse, the whole kingdom loses their memory that Anna is a Princess.

The story unfold differently but there are some of the same scenes and all of the main characters still exist, including Olaf. The ending is essentially the same as the movie/tale even though the events to get their are slightly different. I think most of the morals/messages are still there but I feel like pieces of the story are a bit contrived or forced. I'm sure that's because this is a retelling of a really well known movie that I've seen a few times.

message 2: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments Saw the title and immediately started singing Frozen in my head.

This sounds good, I've added it to my TBR. I've been sad because my touring show of Frozen got cancelled, and NYC Bway announced it won't be coming back when COVID ends, so this might be a nice Frozen fix.

And I have Let It Go stuck in my head now.

Charlotte | 1492 comments Joi wrote: "Saw the title and immediately started singing Frozen in my head.

This sounds good, I've added it to my TBR. I've been sad because my touring show of Frozen got cancelled, and NYC Bway announced it..."

If you are a Frozen fan, like me, then I do recommend it. It's definitely a bit cheesy in places. You'll recognize the parts that are SO similar or the exact same as the book. Hans is still an ass lol. There were many places in the book that I could sing the appropriate song from the movie lol. I'm glad that they kept Olaf but I don't think she did that great of a job with Sven. In a couple of places they just call him Kristoff's reindeer.

message 4: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments Charlotte wrote: "In a couple of places they just call him Kristoff's reindeer.."

They didn't just also call him Kristoff? ;)

Charlotte | 1492 comments Joi wrote: "Charlotte wrote: "In a couple of places they just call him Kristoff's reindeer.."

They didn't just also call him Kristoff? ;)"

Lol... the comedy gold that is Oaken was missing too. They did such a great job with the little characters in the movie and that just didn't come across in this book... part of the reason I rated it 3 stars :) cute but not great.

message 6: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments My expectation has been set, hopefully I find/source this so I can get to this one sometime in the near future :)