What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Memoir of a Diplomat

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ptolemy (new)

Ptolemy | 2 comments This book is about an European aristocrat turned diplomat early twentieth century. I did not read the book but a review of the book in NY Times 10 years or so ago. The insights of this person and the details of the behind the scenes dealings appeared fascinating. I cannot remember the name of the book or the person. The book is non-fiction.

message 2: by Kris (last edited May 28, 2020 02:08PM) (new)

Kris | 34468 comments Mod
Ptolemy, that's a good start. However – you must add plot details to the topic header (title). We have thousands of book requests. We close threads with vague headers.

Click the small "edit" link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)

Not sure about the diplomat's gender?

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (last edited May 30, 2020 12:59AM) (new)

Lobstergirl | 38282 comments Mod
Any other details you remember?
E.g.: what nationality was he? What country/countries did he serve in? Family details, marriages, major or minor political events? Definitely a memoir rather than a biography?

Sometimes even the smallest details can help.

message 5: by Dave (new)

Dave Wegner | 12 comments The Diplomat was an American Academic rather than a European Aristocrat...but everything else points to In The Garden of Beasts by Eric Larson. Came out in 2011.

message 6: by Ptolemy (new)

Ptolemy | 2 comments Thanks for the suggestions. I did look up "The Last American Aristocrat". It seemed very interesting. I did however stumble upon the title of the book - "The Journey to the Abyss: The Diaries of Count Harry Kessler 1880 - 1918". A translation was published in 2013. I intend to get the book. Will let you know how it turns out.

message 7: by Kris (new)