Play Book Tag discussion

Rez Life: An Indian's Journey Through Reservation Life
This topic is about Rez Life
Archive: Other Books > Rez Life - David Treuer (4 1/2 stars)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cora (corareading) | 1406 comments Rez Life: An Indian's Journey Through Reservation Life - David Treuer

4 1/2 stars

Rez Life is a book about Native American reservations. Treuer presents a current issue occurring at reservations and then gives the reader the historical perspective on why this is happening and bookends this perspective with the stories of individuals (often friends and family) from reservations that somehow relate to the issue. Treuer does an exceptional job presenting the issues in a factual manner. He looks at both the positives and negatives to life on a reservation. He also does an excellent job giving a face to these issues and helping non-native readers relate to those facing the issues caused by centuries of attempted genocide and broken promises. I think one of the things I appreciated most about this book was the historical background did not stop at the turn of the twentieth century. Much of the history presented took place in the 1980s, 1990, and 2000s. I think this was a good read to help understand many of the issues facing Native Americans today.

message 2: by Booknblues (new) - added it

Booknblues | 6194 comments This is on my TBR so glad to see that it was good.
Thanks, for reading it and your review, Cora.