Play Book Tag discussion

Heidi's Guide to Four Letter Words
May 2020: Comedy > Heidi’s Guide to four letter words, 5 big laughs

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ (last edited May 28, 2020 04:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4896 comments This is the funniest book I read all year. It might not be the best book I read, but I’m inclined to give it five stars anyway. An adorkable kindergarten teacher loses her job, and gets a job at a company that records Erotic romance audiobooks. When asked to help with an audio check, she can’t bring herself to say any of suggestive lines in the book. She has a crush on her new neighbor, but cant talk to him without Giggling or embarrassing herself. (Hiding in the bushes, etc.) When drunk, she narrates her own podcast, and it turns into an empowering project. A famous actor and his author wife help coach her in the process. The beginning silliness was a little hard to take, but it just got funnier as I kept going.

Who do I have to thank for this? Someone mentioned it recently, but I can’t find the post.

message 2: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2715 comments Kindergarten teachers are adorable. I was for many years. Then I wasn't. So I retired. Not planning on a second career though, :)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4896 comments Aww. I'll bet you're still adorable. Some people never lose it. (I'm picturing my great aunt who was still adorable at 90.)

I wasn't planning on a second career either, but my husband tells me I teach in my sleep. This book gave me an idea to turn my best seminars into podcasts.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4896 comments I should warn people that the book does contain some sex, but even the sex is funny.

message 5: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4865 comments Ok, I have to try this!

message 6: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi (missjoious) | 3778 comments Sounds super cute! And less than 200 pages?!

message 7: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4865 comments Joi wrote: "Sounds super cute! And less than 200 pages?!"

Yeah, that's what sold me too, I have to check it out!

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4896 comments At the end of the month, short tag books come in handy.

It's also on Audible Escape if you have that.

message 9: by Robin P (last edited May 28, 2020 10:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robin P | 1359 comments NancyJ wrote: "This is the funniest book I read all year. It might not be the best book I read, but I’m inclined to give it five stars anyway. An adorkable kindergarten teacher loses her job, and gets a job at a ..."

Maybe I was the one that mentioned it? I think I linked it in connection with Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows, because they have some similarities but this one is funnier. I listened to it through Audible and it was hysterical. I lived 25 years in Minnesota so I enjoyed all the references and even the exaggerated accents. I actually have a friend who is a librarian in Waconia, the small town in the story. The language is very graphic, but that is the point, it allows you to not take it so seriously.

message 10: by NancyJ (last edited May 29, 2020 02:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4896 comments Yes, thank you Robin for telling me about it. It really is a lot of fun. She was so ditsy at the beginning (especially when drunk) I couldn't stand it, but the story quickly grew fast when she me the actor and his wife. I love how even the parents were affected by the changes in her. I'm laughing just remembering her mother.

I had to relate to her when she tried swearing. I have no trouble swearing when mad, but there are certain words that I just can't bring my self to say.

I listened to a few Minnesota books this year and the accents are all a little different, These were exaggerated, dontcha know! More like people I met from northern MN.