Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Available to Read YA

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sonia (new)

Sonia Mac | 2 comments Available to read your project. My preference is for YA although I'm up for other genres (please no sci-fi or horror). Please send through an email (letsgetwritetoit@gmail.com) with a short synopsis and an expected time frame for the return of your work.

I have some experience with having been the go-to person to read friends and family's projects. I want to branch out and take on new projects.

I look forward to hearing from you!

message 2: by Ali (new)

Ali Benice | 114 comments Hi Sonia, would you be interested in an MG comedy?
Here's the query letter I prepared for my book. Hope it picks your interest.

I’m seeking representation for my 50,200 word, pessimistic in a healthy dose, dark humour upper MG magical realism novel, A WEEKEND TRIP FROM THE AFTERLIFE.
In the year 2080, 14-year-old underachiever Joe finds a semi-translucent, sepia-coloured man in his room and panics. He assumes the stranger to be the holographic operating system he’s purchased, but his mother Lina figures out the man’s true nature; the spirit of Joe’s great-great-great-something-grandfather who died in the 1880s. The ghost wishes to see the world and know everything that happened after his passing.
Sepia man soon realizes that the world’s gone through natural disasters. Old skyscrapers are more than halfway below the poisonous, zombie fish lurking seawater. The sun rays are scorching, and the consumer culture is at its peak. Still, life goes on as if everything’s normal. Joe’s mocked by his crush, sepia man’s disappointed by the new era, and both have the worst time of their lives and deaths. Let down by humanity, the duo hit rock bottom. They talk about the past, the future, and books, taking strength from one another.
Joe starts an uprising in his class, thinking he’s been deceived by the adults about history throughout his entire life. Things get settled with a message sent by sepia man.
A WEEKEND TRIP FROM THE AFTERLIFE is a character-centric novel which leads our past and future into being disappointed with one another by bringing them together. Though comedic, the book raises plenty of questions about the potential outcomes of adult indifference on global warming while questioning life and death. It speaks to children of ages 10 to 13 and has similarities to John Boyne's “The Terrible Thing That Happened to Barnaby Brocket” and Terry Pratchett’s “Johnny Maxwell” books. The dynamic between my two MCs also resembles a light version of what the show “Rick and Morty” has. You may find sample illustrations I made for this book here: https://www.behance.net/gallery/17258...
I am a writer, translator and illustrator, mostly working on children’s literature. My books have been published thrice and awarded twice in Turkey by major publishers. This book has been published in 2014 only in Turkish, which would by no means harm any potential English sales (its rights are currently available globally).
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Cordially,
Ali Benice

message 3: by Sonia (new)

Sonia Mac | 2 comments Rowan wrote: "Hello! Thanks for offering these services!

My book is young adult realistic fiction clocking in at 39K words. Rachel and Eden are sent to live with their grandmother in the Florida Keys for a few..."

Hi,

Thank you for the message. Can you please email it through along with an expected time frame for the return of the work? I'd love to work with you.

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 67 comments Celebrating the end of the school year, sisters Ember and Holly go on a camping trip to Mt. St. Helens National Park with their friends. Everything is fun and games until the world turns completely dark. The darkness is terrifying, but when light is restored, things get even worse. Magic and monsters have entered the world, running free to wreak havoc on every aspect of life. Surrounded by chaos and danger, the group of friends wants desperately to return to normalcy, but instead find themselves battling for their lives as they embark on a journey of survival. Throughout the ever-changing world, they must find safety and learn to fight. Will Ember, Holly, and their friends survive, and more importantly, will they learn to live with the magic or die trying?
Diego has been a soldier for less than a year, and now he’s being sent to the front lines to fight. He and his unit must save a small town from an unknown enemy, an enemy new to his world. The unit fights creatures straight out of nightmares and find they are ill-prepared. When nothing goes according to plan, Diego and a group of other surviving soldiers embark on their own journey, never imagining what lies ahead.

This is a young adult fantasy of about 82,000 words with some violence and strong language. Let me know if you would be interested.

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabethbooks1) | 3 comments Hi! My book is called War of Secrets and I’m looking for help with the first four chapters. It is YA Fantasy and I would really really appreciate it! Here is what it is about:

WAR OF SECRETS

BY: ELIZABETH WHITE

Erestova, a small country bordering the Black Sea, has a secret. Inside of its borders, ordinary people are born with magic. And no one outside of Erestova can know that magic is real — or else the Erestovan Empire will fall. When the truth almost comes out, the fate of the empire rests in the hands of five unlikely people. A fearless mercenary, a dark sorceress, a young prince, a mischievous pirate, and a silent thief must work together to keep their home safe. And if they fail, not only will Erestovia crumble, but the entire world will have access to powerful magic that mankind is not yet ready to handle.

message 6: by Devin (new)

Devin Fabian | 3 comments Hi Sonia,
Would you be interested in reading a YA fantasy. It’s around 102k words and deals with magic, technology, adventure, with a touch of romance.

Would love to have your opinion!

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna | 10 comments Hey Sonia,

I recently finished a 2nd draft of a novella (22k words) from the point of view of a rock. The premise is this:

Gray is a cynical (and slightly pretentious) rock residing on Westside river bank. He leads a relatively normal existence, until a little girl named Andrea picks him up and puts him in her pocket. Then, as the little girl goes about her daily life, both Gray and Andrea come to similar realization: Maybe people aren't so scary?

message 8: by J. Lynn (new)

J. Lynn | 12 comments Hi, if you are interested in reading my YA fantasy of about 68,000 words, please PM me!
Synopsis: Assumed identity, intense PE, and people trying to kill him: Amar just can’t get a break in any world he’s in! When Amar Hassan washes up on the shore of a mysterious world, he’s assumed to be a Seer, a mystic warrior sent to liberate the Forgotten from a tyrannical king. Amar can’t even face the school football team without running away, but he’ll have to train if he wants to survive in this new world. He can’t run and hide from danger here- not with a cave full of people desperately depending on him. Or at least, that’s what he’s trying to convince himself.

message 9: by Alisa (new)

Alisa Custer | 9 comments Hi Sonia,

I would love for you to read my 92k word dual POV YA romance novel.

The first time Olivia met Colin, the aggressive bash of guitars and fuck-off lyrics of I’m Not a Loser blared through the speakers of her mom’s old green Passat. The first time they kissed, the smoldering hypnotic beat of Fire in Cairo filled the air of Colin’s darkened bedroom. Each chapter of Olivia and Colin’s deep dive into first love was indelibly marked by music.

Sixteen-year-old Olivia didn’t want to fit in, but she did want to be accepted. When the most coveted guy in school approached her on the sidewalk and asked to hear the song she was listening to, she thought it was a trap, but when he leaned in closer and smiled, she longed to trust him. She introduced him to her family and took him to punk shows, and when he helped her face the reality of her estranged father’s bipolar disorder, she let down her last wall and fell in love with him. But just as that love became unconditional, he pushed her away and left her feeling like it had been a trap after all.

Colin tried to outrun the feelings of worthlessness that his mother’s suicide drowned him in, but a string of drunken hook-ups and his refusal to face the truth left him numb. Olivia’s gentle acceptance made him feel loved again, but when his father threatened to send him back to England to live with his grandparents, his self-doubt resurfaced and sabotaged the only thing that made him feel whole. He tried to push her away for her own good instead of revealing his true feelings, but rather than telling him to go to hell like he thought she would, she made him a mixtape of all the songs they shared throughout their seven-month relationship. But was she offering him forgiveness or a vivid reminder of what he had lost?

I'd love to receive feedback within the month, if possible. Let me know if you are interested!

message 10: by Gary (new)

Gary (ghindhaughwriter) | 7 comments Hi there,
I have a YA/coming of age/adventure/scifi (easy to categorise, obviously!) in the style of Douglas Adams. It's approx 80,000 words. If you are still available/interested, please mail me and I can give you more details.
Regards,
Gary
gbhcool12@gmail.com