Catholic Thought discussion

Gathering Space > Apocalypse Here and now! Are you Ready?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Galicius (new)

Galicius | 444 comments This looks to me as pure promotion of a book and it does not belong here.

message 2: by Manny (new)

Manny (virmarl) | 3742 comments Mod
I deleted this once before. Is there a place at Goodreads to report this person? I'm going to leave this for a day or two so Jessah can see we do not approve this.

Jessah - please stop this or I will look into banning you from this group.

message 3: by Galicius (new)

Galicius | 444 comments Manny wrote: "I deleted this once before. Is there a place at Goodreads to report this person? I'm going to leave this for a day or two so Jessah can see we do not approve this.

Jessah - please stop this or I ..."

Thank you Manny.

message 4: by Manny (new)

Manny (virmarl) | 3742 comments Mod
Since this folder still exists, I thought this article I read this evening would fit nicely here. It's called "The Time Is Near:
Five of the most common fallacious statements about the Book of Revelation" by Carl Olson. It's over at Catholic Answers. Just as the title says, it addresses five of the most erroneous interpretations of Revelation. Here's the opening paragraphs.

The book of Revelation, quipped Ambrose Bierce, is “a famous book in which St. John the Divine concealed all that he knew. The revealing is done by the commentators, who know nothing.” And G. K. Chesterton wrote, “Though St. John the Evangelist saw many strange monsters in his vision, he saw no creature so wild as one of his own commentators.”

Indeed, the book of Revelation, also known as the Apocalypse, is fascinating and mysterious. Like an enchanting woman, the book attracts admirers of every sort. Many attempt outlandish feats of interpretation in order to gain attention. They usually do more damage than good, their fevered explanations reflecting their biases and presumptions rather than any true insight.

Many popular commentators who obsess over the book of Revelation use it to support both implicit and overt anti-Catholic opinions. Fundamentalists, Mormons, and Jehovah’s Witnesses have long associated the famed Whore of Babylon, “the mother of harlots” (Rev. 17:5), with the Catholic Church. Some also link the church of Thyatira (Rev. 2:18-25) with the Catholic Church since her members supposedly “practice immorality” and “eat food sacrificed to idols” (Rev. 2:20).

Even some Catholics use passages from John’s book to create end-times scenarios that are difficult to reconcile with Church teaching. Here are five of the most common fallacious statements propagated in the name of John the Revelator.

I won't get into the five fallacious arguments. You'll have to read it for yourself here:
https://www.catholic.com/magazine/pri...