Play Book Tag discussion

Grand Hotel
This topic is about Grand Hotel
Footnotes > Buddy Read for Grand Hotel

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (last edited May 27, 2020 11:19PM) (new) - added it

Theresa | 6668 comments Grand Hotel by Vicki Baum is June's Unofficial Trim pick for some of us. I have down in my notes that there is a buddy read if its number came up. Of course, I did not note who were buddies on it!

I am starting up the buddy read thread now even though I won't get to read it until end of June. Anyone welcome to join....and some non-Trimmers just might as it is short, fun, and fits a tag or two for Poll Tally.

And maybe once read, we can all stream the movie version - a classic, richly cast. I have also seen it both on and off-Broadway..and it is marvelous.

BTW author is very interesting. I read up on her at some point (or perhaps it was Playbill notes last time I saw a production), and apparently she encouraged adaptations of the work.

message 2: by NancyJ (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5222 comments "I vant to be alone"

I loved the movie. I'll see if I can get the book.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8519 comments Nancy, there are four buddy reads for June. Only if you were interested, but some of us are reading Strange the Dreamer. If I weren’t, I might jump to Grand Hotel. Ya never know, I might anyway!

message 4: by Theresa (last edited May 28, 2020 08:26PM) (new) - added it

Theresa | 6668 comments I may have posted this in wrong location. Oh well only matters if no one can find it, right?

Would love to see you both join, NancyJ and Amy!

message 5: by NancyJ (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5222 comments My library has the kindle. When are you reading it Theresa?

I saw the movie many years ago, as part of Greta Garbo binge, and I liked it. Ninotcka (1939) is my favorite of all her films. My library branch has the DVD - and it opens tomorrow!

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7471 comments I am searching for a copy, that I thought I had-if not I will check m library, which also opens for drive up tomorrow~

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8519 comments I might jump in this! Maybe audio...

message 8: by forsanolim (new)

forsanolim | 468 comments I'm planning to jump in!

message 9: by Theresa (new) - added it

Theresa | 6668 comments I will be reading after June 25 - Proust must/will be finished by then. It is not long and I am a fast reader when not involved with Proust. If anyone in US can't source a copy, I can mail my copy to you when I finish. This buddy read will slip into July no doubt.

The original movie is fab. If you have a chance read up on Vicki Baum, a rare author who encouraged adaptations of the work to stage and screen, including as a musical. Saw a semi-stage version just a couple of years ago in NYC...marvelous!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Grand Hotel (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Vicki Baum (other topics)