Reading the 20th Century discussion

Henry Green
This topic is about Henry Green
Favourite Authors > Henry Green

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan | 9106 comments Mod
I first came across Henry Green in, The Love-charm of Bombs: Restless Lives in the Second World War The Love-charm of Bombs Restless Lives in the Second World War by Lara Feigel

His Wiki page, not to be relied upon, I know, says: Henry Green was the pen name of Henry Vincent Yorke (29 October 1905 – 13 December 1973), an English author best remembered for the novels Party Going, Living and Loving. He published a total of nine novels between 1926 and 1952.

Anyone else interested in/want to read/have any favourites by Green?

message 2: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 4297 comments Mod
I would be up for a Henry Green buddy read when there is a window in the schedule. I've been meaning to try him for ages.

message 3: by Nigeyb (new)

Nigeyb | 8576 comments Mod
I'm certainly interested in what others make of him as he does intrigue me. If the response was positive I could well be tempted to dive in too. I'd rather not be a RTTC pioneer though.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Does anyone have a particular title they are interested in? Some of his books are only available in collections, which pushes the price up. Party Going, Living and Loving are available in individual copies on kindle.

message 5: by Nigeyb (new)

Nigeyb | 8576 comments Mod
Just discovered my local library has a copy of Loving / Living / Party Going so, depending on when it reopens, I could get involved at no risk. Don't wait for me, but I'm tempted.

message 6: by Tania (new)

Tania | 919 comments I could potentially be interested. My library also has a copy of Loving / Living / Party Going, so like Nigeyb, it depends on when the libraries reopen.

message 7: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 691 comments I read Loving, Living and Party Going (in the single volume edition but not consecutively) a few years before joining GR. All interesting, not sure I can nominate a favourite from them at this distance.

message 8: by Roman Clodia (new)

Roman Clodia | 4238 comments Mod
Yes me too, subject to library reopening - I haven't read any Green yet.

message 9: by Roman Clodia (new)

Roman Clodia | 4238 comments Mod
Loving appeals to me most from the blurb.

message 10: by Susan (new)

Loving was my nomination. I am happy for that and we can add it in later in the year - Sep onwards, so, hopefully, things will be open by then...

message 11: by Susan (new)

Has nobody read Green before? I was surprised to read his last novel was published in the early 1950's and yet he lived to the 1970's. Writers rarely stop writing.

message 12: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1038 comments Not yet and I am still reading Love Charm - lost somewhere on the kindle.

message 13: by Susan (new)

I got a kindle largely because I can never find books on my shelves, Jan. Thank goodness you can search your kindle!

message 14: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1038 comments Susan wrote: "I got a kindle largely because I can never find books on my shelves, Jan. Thank goodness you can search your kindle!"

Pre-Kindle I found myself buying 2-3 copies of books because I didn't remember having it!

message 15: by Susan (new)

I think it's a problem with many of us obsessive book buyers, Jan.