Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > New Beta looking for YA Contemporary and Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ali (new)

Ali Benice | 130 comments Hi Archit.
Here's the query letter I prepared to send agents regarding my book. Hope it picks your interest.

I’m seeking representation for my 50,200 word, pessimistic in a healthy dose, dark humour upper MG magical realism novel, A WEEKEND TRIP FROM THE AFTERLIFE.
In the year 2080, 14-year-old underachiever Joe finds a semi-translucent, sepia-coloured man in his room and panics. He assumes the stranger to be the holographic operating system he’s purchased, but his mother Lina figures out the man’s true nature; the spirit of Joe’s great-great-great-something-grandfather who died in the 1880s. The ghost wishes to see the world and know everything that happened after his passing.
Sepia man soon realizes that the world’s gone through natural disasters. Old skyscrapers are more than halfway below the poisonous, zombie fish lurking seawater. The sun rays are scorching, and the consumer culture is at its peak. Still, life goes on as if everything’s normal. Joe’s mocked by his crush, sepia man’s disappointed by the new era, and both have the worst time of their lives and deaths. Let down by humanity, the duo hit rock bottom. They talk about the past, the future, and books, taking strength from one another.
Joe starts an uprising in his class, thinking he’s been deceived by the adults about history throughout his entire life. Things get settled with a message sent by sepia man.
A WEEKEND TRIP FROM THE AFTERLIFE is a character-centric novel which leads our past and future into being disappointed with one another by bringing them together. Though comedic, the book raises plenty of questions about the potential outcomes of adult indifference on global warming while questioning life and death. It speaks to children of ages 10 to 13 and has similarities to John Boyne's “The Terrible Thing That Happened to Barnaby Brocket” and Terry Pratchett’s “Johnny Maxwell” books. The dynamic between my two MCs also resembles a light version of what the show “Rick and Morty” has. You may find sample illustrations I made for this book here: https://www.behance.net/gallery/17258...
I am a writer, translator and illustrator, mostly working on children’s literature. My books have been published thrice and awarded twice in Turkey by major publishers. This book has been published in 2014 only in Turkish, which would by no means harm any potential English sales (its rights are currently available globally).
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Cordially,
Ali Benice

message 2: by Hailey (new)

Hailey Joiner | 7 comments Hi Archit,
thank you so much for your time. My WIP is a YA contemporary romance at roughly 60,000 words. my blurb is as follows.
Group therapy is where happiness goes to die. Spencer hapgoof has been sentenced there after the car accident that left her in a coma for two months. The very same accident claiming the lives of her mom and brother. Leaving her lost, both literally and metaphorically, with her alcoholic father. When she is finally able to find where she is supposed to be (because why are office buildings so confusing), she is challenged by Jaylyne Connolly.
Jaylyne is the groups longest, and most stubborn resident. After her sister's suicide, which she still refuses to call it that, she got sentenced to the same fate as Spencer. Two years attending these god forsaken meetings with no results to show for it. New faces every couple of weeks, same conversation every Tuesday and Thursday. Refusing to make any comments go anyone until the new girl with purple hair shows up. Even then, it's only to spite her. For what, Jay's not too sure.
When they meet, maybe, just maybe they will be able to build themselves back up. Or will they fall back apart?
thank you so much for your consideration! -Hailey

message 3: by Jesse (new)

Jesse Stimpson | 16 comments hey, I have a 90k LGBT contemporary novel about a young trans man.

Andy has always felt different than the other girls. She was into football, boys clothing, and closer to her brother than any of the females in her elementary school. People labeled her as a tomboy, which made her happy. She was content with the label, until puberty.

Suddenly, the body she'd grown to tolerate wasn't her own anymore. Her gender neutral looks we're being infiltrated by breasts, wide hips and other feminine issues she didn't like to discuss. When she meets a trans girl at her youth group, it opens her eyes to a new, exciting yet terrifying world.

A world where she might actually be a he.

With the realization comes many trials. Deciding If he'll come out to his family and risk being yelled at, beaten or kicked out, or live the life of a lie.

- Jesse

message 4: by Neuravinci (new)

Neuravinci Hi,

Thanks for your offer.

Layala is a YA fantasy novel, complete at 80,000 words. Drawing from Middle Eastern themes, including jinns.

Kan ya ma kan...once upon a time the sky rained pomegranate seeds and a young woman stole them into her mouth and drank the stories within.

She was made of fire, this woman, and clay and smoke and ash. But she was always cold. For she worked in death, and couldn’t quit, but she was not dead herself, for she was the dead’s hakawati, their storyteller. And without her, the dead would never pass on to the final and true death--Mote.

The woman gathered the pomegranate seeds every morning, and this morning was no different. She would take the seeds, press them into a juice, and drink it to learn the stories of the lives of those who had died in the last 24 hours. Sometimes she stirred in honey to make the stories sweeter, other times she poured in lemon juice to keep herself from crying.

This she did every morning for fourteen years as punishment.

You see, each seed was the soul of a newly departed dead, and each soul wanted to move on to true death.

The woman's home was just a holding place. And she was their storyteller.

message 5: by Kenny (new)

Kenny (kenny_valentine) | 77 comments Hi Archit,

I have a finished YA Contemporary at 97k+ words. It's dual-POV, written in third person, present tense.

Here is a blurb:

Eight year-old Alex watches her world crumble after a wish she made costs her everything she once had. Left with nothing, Alex grows greedy and selfish. Her only source of hope is a promise, shared inside her closet with her best friend, Abby. A promise to always be together.

As high school starts and new relationships spark, Alex becomes aware of feelings she never knew she had for Abby. Feelings she tries to escape, only to realize they have her trapped. Jealousy taints her already greedy and selfish heart. Alex is willing to pay any price as long as she gets to keep Abby. Even if it means keeping secrets from her best friend. Even if it means telling a lie. Or two.

But when the pile of lies turns into a mountain, and the staircase of secrets falls apart, is there a way down without her world crumbling again?

The novel deals in sensitive subjects, including: child abuse, substance abuse, sexual assault, self-harm, and underage sex. It also contains loads of swearing. Everything is kept fairly censored and nothing is overly graphic.

Thank you so much and take care.

Regards,
Kenny

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 67 comments Celebrating the end of the school year, sisters Ember and Holly go on a camping trip to Mt. St. Helens National Park with their friends. Everything is fun and games until the world turns completely dark. The darkness is terrifying, but when light is restored, things get even worse. Magic and monsters have entered the world, running free to wreak havoc on every aspect of life. Surrounded by chaos and danger, the group of friends wants desperately to return to normalcy, but instead find themselves battling for their lives as they embark on a journey of survival. Throughout the ever-changing world, they must find safety and learn to fight. Will Ember, Holly, and their friends survive, and more importantly, will they learn to live with the magic or die trying?
Diego has been a soldier for less than a year, and now he’s being sent to the front lines to fight. He and his unit must save a small town from an unknown enemy, an enemy new to his world. The unit fights creatures straight out of nightmares and find they are ill-prepared. When nothing goes according to plan, Diego and a group of other surviving soldiers embark on their own journey, never imagining what lies ahead.

This is a young adult fantasy of about 82,000 words with some violence and strong language. Let me know if you would be interested.