What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA or Middlegrade Contemporary/Mystery “Great Rift”

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arden (new)

Arden N (anorian625) | 1 comments I read this book sometime between 2009-2011 and it was most likely published in the 00’s (possibly late 90’s). I don’t believe I ever finished it so what I have is likely from the beginning. I think it was a contemporary (maybe a mystery) about a young girl who is either Dutch or British and she wears her hair in plaits. Her parents dropped her off at a house that I believe belonged to an estranged relative for some reason, likely for just the summer. I remember vividly the phrase “great rift” being used to talk about an issue within the family. There was a room upstairs that she was not to go into and, if my memory serves me, it was the uncle or grandfather that was extremely sick and shut up in that room. I think the house had a bay window and a tower as well. The man that was shut up in the room was paralyzed from the neck or waist down. I’m not quite sure of the time period for the novel but I don’t believe it was modern, maybe 1930’s at the earliest (this very well could be quite off though).

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37806 comments Mod
Allie, you're going to want to add some more plot detail to your topic header. While "Great Rift" is something, it's not enough. Someone who read this book might not necessarily remember the same phrase you did, so we need some plot details in there.