What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Crewel (Crewel World, #1)
This topic is about Crewel
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA Historical romance fantasy - girl taken from family who is then killed- love triangle with prince and servant boy. [s]

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ember (new)

Ember | 35 comments I read this book around 2015, and I'd guess that it was published after 2000, probably around 2009-2012.
It started off with the protagonist's family trying to hide her away to avoid getting her taken to the palace. I think there was some sort of weird social thing where specific teen girls were to be taken to the palace at a certain age. Because her family resisted, her father at least was shot and killed (can't remember what happened to the others) and she saw him in a body bag.

She get's taken to the castle where she is originally treated awfully. A servant boy offers to carry her and she resists or she get's so hurt that he has to carry her but she gets mad at him for it later. He ends up being one of her love interests.

She also meets this prince guy, who becomes her other love interest. I can't remember any of their interactions really, but I think there was some sort of weird maybe magic scene in his room.

This book could have been a series/trilogy, all I know is that at some point in the story she chooses one of the guys and they date. However, that guy goes off to fight in a war and while he's gone, she and the other guy end up having sex in like a pool or something. Then her boyfriend ends up dying, so she's free to be with this other guy.

The only other detail I can think of is that I've always associated the word spinster with this book. I may be remembering incorrectly, it could be a similar sounding word but I know that is somehow important to the inciting incident.

In all honesty, this was a pretty typical, tropey, cliche YA romance novel.

message 2: by Emilie (new)

Emilie (emilierose) | 137 comments Wither by Lauren DeStefano?

message 3: by Ember (new)

Ember | 35 comments No, sorry!

message 4: by Stella❤️ (new)

Stella❤️ 孔凡星 (stella_conway6) | 58 comments Was it very popular or more of a less well known/underrated book? Can you remember details about the names, author or cover?

Asia (semi–hiatus) (booknerd117) | 197 comments Do you also know what the characters might look like?

message 6: by Ember (new)

Ember | 35 comments Stella❤️ wrote: "Was it very popular or more of a less well known/underrated book? Can you remember details about the names, author or cover?"

Its not a book I would consider well known, nobody I know has ever read it. I can't remember the author's name. I feel as though one of the male leads might have had a name starting with an x or a z (like Xander perhaps) but that's a really shaky memory. I feel as though the cover featured an image of the main character, a girl, but i'm really not sure.

message 7: by Ember (new)

Ember | 35 comments Asia wrote: "Do you also know what the characters might look like?"

No sorry. I think they were all white, but that's really it.

message 8: by Stella❤️ (new)

Stella❤️ 孔凡星 (stella_conway6) | 58 comments Is there magic present, or is it more historical than fantasy?

Rainbowheart | 16090 comments Did you read it as a physical book or e-book?

Kinda reminds me of a cross between Wither and The Jewel, but I don't think it's an exact match for either.

message 10: by Stella❤️ (new)

Stella❤️ 孔凡星 (stella_conway6) | 58 comments Is it Crewel by Gennifer Albin? You should read the Wikipedia synopsis instead of the Goodreads one to get a better idea, since the Goodreads one is kind of vague. They sound similar though!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crewe...

message 11: by Rainbowheart (new) - added it

Rainbowheart | 16090 comments Crewel for Stella's suggestion.

message 12: by Ember (new)

Ember | 35 comments Crewel is it! Thank you so much Stella!

message 13: by Stella❤️ (new)

Stella❤️ 孔凡星 (stella_conway6) | 58 comments Yay, I’m so glad I could find it for you!