Play Book Tag discussion

Auntie Mame: An Irreverent Escapade (Auntie Mame, #1)
This topic is about Auntie Mame
May 2020: Comedy > (POLL BALLOT) Auntie Mame / Patrick Dennis - 4****

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5815 comments Auntie Mame An Irreverent Escapade (Auntie Mame #1) by Patrick Dennis
Auntie Mame – Patrick Dennis
4****

Subtitle: An Irreverent Escapade

Oh, what an absolute delight! I love Mame … she’s outrageous, convivial, adventurous, kind, a bon vivant, prone to exaggeration, unable to resist, unabashedly lacking in marketable skills, and yet full of confidence. She’s also completely and utterly devoted to her nephew, Patrick, who’s been orphaned and placed in her care at the tender age of nine. Oh, what an education he gets!

What started as a few essays in periodicals has been framed into this novel “memoir.” It’s funny and tender, horrifying and enthralling. I was appalled at some of Mame’s escapades, but enthralled by others, and always I was in her corner, cheering her on.

I’ve wanted to read this for years, ever since I had seen the marvelous movie starring Rosalind Russell, and I admit to picturing her throughout the novel.

LINK to my review

Theresa | 6731 comments I knew you would just love it! A true delight.

message 3: by NancyJ (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5241 comments Nice Review. This might be the year I finally read this book.