SCPL Teens discussion

General > What Are You Currently Reading?

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Seminole County Public Library (seminolecountypubliclibrary) | 119 comments Mod
What are you reading?

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 6 comments Right now I am currently reading The Ultimate Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. This book is said to be a modern day classic. This book is a sci fi comedy, and it is actually really funny.

message 3: by Sebastian (new)

Sebastian Hudson | 44 comments I am currently reading Vinland Saga by Makoto Yukimara. Historically accurate and gritty adventure about the viking age and their invasions of England. While it's incredibly realistic and spares no expense with portraying the dark and inhumane nature of the Vikings it also possesses very vibrant characters and a very intriguing story that's about far more than Vikings fighting. Highly recommend it to other graphic novel and manga fans.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (addictedreader30) | 9 comments I am currently reading/listening to "The Grace Year" by Kim Liggett. This title is on this years Sunshine State Teens list!

message 5: by Sebastian (new)

Sebastian Hudson | 44 comments I am now reading One Piece by Eiichiro Oda. There are 979 chapters!

message 6: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Bradshaw | 22 comments I am currently reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides for my school's summer reading. While it deals with some serious topics, it manages to play into the American story in a unique way.

message 7: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Pitone | 17 comments I am currently reading "Clockwork Angel" by Cassandra Clare. I have not read much of it yet but so far I am enjoying it.

Seminole County Public Library (seminolecountypubliclibrary) | 119 comments Mod
Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi.

message 9: by Richard (new)

Richard McLaughlin | 19 comments I am currently reading Diary of a Young Girl (or Anne Frank) I was first introduced to her story in elementary school and remembered watching a couple of movies based off her story.

The story starts off with her introducing her new friend - the diary as well as writing about her 13th birthday. Even though I have some knowledge of her story, I am really interested in reading the details of her journey which led to her death (died from typhus) in a concentration camp (Bergen-Belsen) in 1945.

Richard

message 10: by Manal (new)

Manal | 25 comments I am currently reading Geralds game by Stephen King. I recently discovered this genre of books and have been really into it. It keeps you on your toes.

message 11: by Richard (new)

Richard McLaughlin | 19 comments I am currently reading The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom. Since I am taking a history class for school I thought I would read something that has to do with history. I have heard good things about it and starting to get a feel of the main characters - The Ten Boom family. I can't believe what they did for Jewish people during Germany occupation in Holland. They were so brave and selfless. When I am done I will do a book review.

Richard

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (sheenaisapunkrocker1976) I'm currently reading The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury. I wanted to read his work because he is a famous author in the science fiction realm which is my favorite genre. The book is a chronicles of a settlement on Mars belonging to the Martians and the Americans leaving Earth because of a nuclear war.

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth  | 9 comments I am currently reading The Book Thief. I am already in love with the style and story. I haven't read much of it but it's pretty interesting!

message 14: by Rebekah (last edited Mar 21, 2021 04:59PM) (new)

Rebekah | 59 comments Elizabeth,

You are going to love this book. It is written very well
and makes you not want to put the book down. The
story is sad in a lot of ways as it reminds you of what
life was like in Germany/Nazi ruled countries. I won't
spoil anything in case you haven't finished, but it makes
you have hope for the human race.

Rebekah

message 15: by Rebekah (last edited Mar 21, 2021 05:00PM) (new)

Rebekah | 59 comments I am currently reading The Adventures of Huckleberry
Finn. I have heard some cool things about the story
and am excited to read it. I just ordered it on Amazon
last week and started the first couple of chapters. I
know that it is a good story about two types of freedom
and race relations and tensions in civil war America. I will
let you know how I liked it.

Rebekah

message 16: by Richard (new)

Richard McLaughlin | 19 comments Manal,

Usually when I think of Stephen King I think of creepy stories. You are a brave person. Did you like the book? There is a movie based off the book on Netflix. I watched a little of it and it wasn't too bad. I like suspense so maybe it is not as bad as I would think it would be.

Richard

message 17: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (sheenaisapunkrocker1976) I'm currently reading Frankenstein by Mary Shelley for English and I'm reading Sense and Sensibility for myself. I thought it was interesting how both books that I'm currently reading are from the romantic literary period.
Even though I'm reading it for class, I am enjoying it so far. The gothic element is perfect and the science fiction aspect is good too. Since these are my two favorite genre, I thought the book was good for my project. It belonged to my cousin when he had to read it for his class and he annotated already but I'm going to add more.
As for my own enjoyment, Sense and Sensibility has been on my reading list for a while. I wanted to read the book to watch the movie which has my favorite actor, Alan Rickman. It's about a family in the English countryside and their romances. I really love Jane Austen works and the romantic literary period (late 18th century-early 20th century), so I think I will enjoy it.

message 18: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Yu | 2 comments I am currently reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I enjoy listening to the songs and artists mentioned in the book.

message 19: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah | 59 comments Michelle,

I hope that you will enjoy the book. We have it in our home library and was hoping to get to it in the near future. I am taking a journalism class this summer so I will be reading some interesting stuff. Sense and Sensibility reminds me of Little Women. I think the Romantic literacy is a great genre to read. I luv Alan Rickman - he will forever be missed!!

Rebekah

miz (taylor’s version) I’m currently reading One Day in December by Josie Silver! A lady at the bookstore recommended it to me because she could tell I like romance & rom com books. I haven’t gotten too far into it yet but I’m really excited to see how the events play out. I have no idea what to expect of it yet which intrigues me even more.

miz (taylor’s version) Jasmine wrote: "I am currently reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I enjoy listening to the songs and artists mentioned in the book."

Hello Jasmine,
I’ve been wanting to read that book for a while. I’ve heard so many good things about it! How did you like it? :)
- Mizbah

miz (taylor’s version) I’m currently reading Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover. I love her writing so it’s always nice to read another book by her. I haven’t been able to put it down since I started reading it yesterday. I’m already 80% done with the book!

message 23: by Isabella (new)

Isabella Ramunno | 31 comments I'm currently reading two books: Pride & Prejudice and I'll Give You The Sun. P&P is one of the classics but I took a break to finish I'll Give You The Sun. The author Jandy Nelson is one of my favorite young adult fiction writers.

message 24: by Isabella (new)

Isabella Ramunno | 31 comments Manal wrote: "I am currently reading Geralds game by Stephen King. I recently discovered this genre of books and have been really into it. It keeps you on your toes."

Hi Manal,
Stephen King is a great author! I recommend reading Carrie too.

miz (taylor’s version) I’m currently reading All Our Wrong Todays by Elan Mastai. It contrasts a lot from my usual romance reads, being more of a science fiction genre. It was hard for me to get into it at first but I’m around 90 pages in now & it’s finally starting to get more interesting for me.

message 26: by Kairie (new)

Kairie | 53 comments Right now I am currently reading Carry On by Rainbow Rowell. It is a young adult fiction, romance, fantasy, and paranormal. It is a great book so far and I'm enjoying it very much. It's getting more interesting and harder to put down. I can't wait to finish it.

message 27: by green (new)

green | 2 comments i’m currently reading “call down the hawk” by maggie stiefvater. it’s a fantasy ya novel with a lot of found family, which is my favorite trope in media.

message 28: by Sofia (new)

Sofia Garrabrant | 28 comments I'm currently reading "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak. So far, it's about a girl living in Nazi Germany who begins stealing books to read. I really like it and can't wait to see what happens next, as the narrator keeps hinting at big things to come.

message 29: by Sofia (new)

Sofia Garrabrant | 28 comments I'm currently reading "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini. It's a coming of age story about a boy named Amir, living in Kabul. I just started it, but I'm enjoying it so far, and I can't wait to see where it ends.

message 30: by Andy (new)

Andy Chan | 4 comments I'm currently reading "Winter" by Marissa Meyer. It's the fourth book in the Lunar Chronicles Series. It's pretty good; the characters are pretty captivating and engaging. The world building is a little off in my opinion, but overall, the book is a pretty enjoyable science fiction/teen romance read.

message 31: by Randoms (new)

Randoms | 1 comments I'm currently reading "Long Way Down" by Jason Reynolds. It is about the tough life of blacks when they tried to be tough and the dilemma of getting revenge is worth it.

message 32: by Khadi (new)

Khadi I’m reading this savage song by V.E Schwab it’s pretty good but it feels a bit off compared to ADSOM.