What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Adventure of the Copper Beeches - a Sherlock Holmes Short Story (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes #12)
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Historical/classic novel, a young woman with long, beautiful hair is hired as the governess of a wealthy family. Spoilers ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessie (last edited May 27, 2020 03:18PM) (new)

Jessie Chen | 2 comments I read an abridged, illustrated version of this book in the mid-2000s as a child, but I'm fairly certain it's a historical work.

The main plot is that a young woman with really long, beautiful hair (this is relevant later) is hired as the live-in governess for a rich family. It's a good deal for her, except the family asks her to do odd things sometimes, like they only let her sit in the seat facing away from the window at the dining table. Also, one time, when there's a man standing in the distance looking at the house, they tell her to wave him away through the window. At some point, I think the family asks the main character to cut her hair short, even though she really doesn't want to since she's always been proud of it, but she doesn't have a choice because she needs the job.

The plot twist happens when she opens a drawer and finds a roll of hair that looks identical to hers, but it's not since she keeps the hair she cut off elsewhere. It turns out that the family actually hired her because she resembles their daughter, who had the same beautiful hair. The daughter got sick and had to have her hair cut off, I don't remember if she is actually locked in the house somewhere or is staying somewhere else?

Anyway, the family wanted the main character to effectively impersonate their daughter because they didn't approve of her fiance/suitor. By making him think their daughter was still well and living in the house (and having the main character wave him away), they could convince him that their daughter just wasn't interested in him anymore.

I thought the abridged version might have been one from the "Great Illustrated Classics" collection, but I've looked through their whole catalog with no luck. I hope these details are enough, thank you to anyone who can help!

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1476 comments The Adventure of the Copper Beeches, I believe (it's been a while since I've read it, but I believe that this is correct).

message 3: by Jessie (new)

Jessie Chen | 2 comments Wow, I can't believe with everything I remembered I didn't even make the connection to Sherlock Holmes---explains why I couldn't find it as a book on its own, since it would've been part of a larger collection. Thank you so much!