I Read Comic Books discussion

Marvel Comics going digital only with some of its comics

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chad (last edited May 27, 2020 02:28PM) (new)

Chad | 749 comments Now what's up with this bullshit? According to this article, these Marvel comics are becoming digital only in the middle of their runs and will be collected in print trades later on. Don't they know comic book readers are super anal about their comics? If I start a run as a print comic, I want the entire thing as a print comic. This is infuriating to me and it's a real FU! to comic shops. This is the kind of thing DC would try and pull.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comic...
https://www.comicsbeat.com/marvel-goi...

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin (panelparty) | 241 comments Mod
I think it is SUPER weird that they would transition to digital midway through a series - that would bug me so much if I was a floppy collector. However, I don't hate the idea of a few digital-only miniseries at a lower price point. I agree that it kind of screws over the LCS, but perhaps it could be used as a testing grounds for more experimental series/newer creators that shops may not want to order much of?

With that said, I haven't read any Comixology Originals despite subscribing to the service for years, so I may not be the target audience!

message 3: by Chad (new)

Chad | 749 comments I'm fine with digital only series. It's the transition midway through a series that drives me batty. I was talking with my LCS owner today. He said they were Marvel's lowest selling titles. I guess if printing drops below 10,000 copies, Marvel or DC can't turn a profit on it because the printing costs go up quite a bit. He said because of the pandemic the orders for the books had dropped significantly. Basically LCS's don't want to carry any additional copies right now and are only ordering to fill pull lists on lower tier books.

BTW, DC is doing this as well for Supergirl and The Terrifics. Supergirl only had one more issue left.

message 4: by Brandon (new)

Brandon (fuhret) | 49 comments I'm glad Valkyrie is at least being released in some way instead of outright cancelled partway through- but this means it's likely going to be cancelled by the end of the arc anyways. As a digital reader this doesn't really impact me, but it's such a big middle finger to everyone who collects issues physically.

message 5: by Chad (new)

Chad | 749 comments Brandon wrote: "I'm glad Valkyrie is at least being released in some way instead of outright cancelled partway through- but this means it's likely going to be cancelled by the end of the arc anyways. As a digital ..."

Not to mention struggling retailers who now can't make a dime off the comics.

message 6: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 633 comments Mod
Chad wrote: "Brandon wrote: "I'm glad Valkyrie is at least being released in some way instead of outright cancelled partway through- but this means it's likely going to be cancelled by the end of the arc anyway..."

They can still sell the trades, though?

message 7: by Chad (last edited May 31, 2020 04:21PM) (new)

Chad | 749 comments Mike wrote: "They can still sell the trades, though?."

Once they are eventually released yes. But would you want to shell out cash for a trade when you already bought the first 2/3rds of it in single issues?

message 8: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (last edited May 31, 2020 04:23PM) (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 633 comments Mod
Chad wrote: "Mike wrote: "They can still sell the trades, though?."

Once they are eventually released yes. But would you want to shell out cash for a trade when you already bought the first 2/3rds of it in sin..."

Ah, in that case, it's definitely a bummer. I, too, am very surprised they're doing that mid-run.