Silas Bronson Library Book Group discussion

Hot tips from our group members

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana, Reference Librarian (new)

Dana Lucisano (danall2) | 51 comments Mod
Looking for reading suggestions? Here are some suggestions based on the discussion at this week’s Book Lovers Club meeting:
Essentialism: the Disciplined Pursuit of Less - by Greg McKeownEssentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less
A Cold Day for Murder - Bk. 1 in the Kate Shugak mystery series by Dana StabenowA Cold Day For Murder
Still Life - Bk. 1 in the Armand Gamache mystery series by Louise PennyStill Life
Marilla of Green Gables - by Sarah McCoy
Marilla of Green Gables

message 2: by Dana, Reference Librarian (new)

In case you missed the last meeting of the Book Lovers' Club, here are a few titles that our members are reading:
Will in the World - a biography of ShakespeareWill in the World: How Shakespeare Became Shakespeare
Pilgrim at Tinker Creek - a book about observing nature by Annie DillardPilgrim at Tinker Creek

Books, Brews & Booze (topazandtourmaline) | 10 comments These sound really good!

message 4: by Dana, Reference Librarian (new)

What exactly are the "classics," anyway? There is no way that I know of to come up with a fixed list of authors or titles. In my opinion, when someone asks me about classic American books and authors, I'm thinking in terms of books that not only have literary merit but have stood the test of time. We were talking about Bess Streeter Adrich at yesterday's Book Lovers Club meeting. Here's one of her better-known titles:
A Lantern in Her Hand
If the values in this book resonate with you, you might enjoy the books by Wendell Berry, especially this one:
Hannah Coulter or A World Lost
Does anyone else know of contemporary authors who celebrate the agrarian way of life?