Brentwoodlibrarynh - Digital Book Club discussion

Peter Pan
This topic is about Peter Pan
Book Club Discussion! > June 2020 - Peter Pan

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Mary E. Bartlett Library Brentwood NH (brentwoodlibrarynh) | 39 comments Mod
Books are available on Hoopla for checkout or try borrowing from Libby!

Feel free to start discussion as you read or wait till you're finished, just give warning on spoilers!

Watch for the poll part to select next month's title!

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Greenleaf I have always been a fan of the performances Peter Pan especially the classic tv stage production when I was a young child. But I have never read the book. I am especially interested in seeing how true the productions are to the actual book.

message 3: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Greenleaf We have reached Neverland and met the Lost Boys, Pirates and others. (End of Chapter 7).

Impressed how close to the book the stage/tv performances have been. If memory serves me, the only major difference I've seen is the focus on the Darling parents at the beginning and the fact, if I'm reading it right, that the Darling children are adopted. I didn't remember that from the shows. Certainly adds another element to the story relative to the Lost Boys. And the fact that the dog is the Nanny is a new fact for me.

The book (as usual with book to movie adaptation) provides more insight, history and details about the individual Lost Boys. I appreciate knowing more about their history.

Looking forward to the continuation of the adventure.

message 4: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather L. (hmlindsay) | 32 comments I'm interested to hear the comparison between the two! I've read this once before and seen various themed movies, but never really thought to compare the two. I can't wait to start reading!

Janice | 59 comments I am listening to this on audio and I'm in - hook, line, and sinker! The narrator is amazing and the story is engrossing. I, too, don't remember the children being adopted, but feel like the performances of Peter Pan hold quite close to the story line. This is my first classic on audio and I just love the use of the language!

Janice | 59 comments Less than an hour of the audio left, and I can't wait to get back in the car to finish up. This has been one of the best audios I've heard in a long time! I've listened slowly over time because I needed to make this last! Has anyone else experienced this before? Where you can't wait to read, but you don't want it to end at the same time?

message 7: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Greenleaf I put reading on hold until I had a chance to watch the Mary Martin Peter Pan television production. Originally aired 1955 (I was four). I still find it very enjoyable and moving despite the very old production techniques and stylized acting.

Hoping to finish reading (listening) the book later today. There are a surprising number of themes and motifs that open many topics for discussion.

Janice | 59 comments Dan wrote: "I put reading on hold until I had a chance to watch the Mary Martin Peter Pan television production. Originally aired 1955 (I was four). I still find it very enjoyable and moving despite the very o..."

Be sure to open up the discussion when you are done. With the month over, we can start to chat about specifics!