MCMLS Mitchell Fiction Book Club discussion

General > Favorite Books

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Librarian Molly (last edited May 28, 2020 10:28AM) (new)

Librarian Molly | 219 comments Mod
Name one of your favorite books. Why do you love it?

Answering this question will put your name in the hat for a free copy of next month's book club book, The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek. The drawing will occur on Friday, June 5.

message 2: by Rose Wehrli (new)

Rose Wehrli | 2 comments I am currently reading “Moby Dick” and loving it. It is a timeless novel.

message 3: by Maxine (new)

Maxine | 176 comments I love several books but 2 that I really thought were great were MOVING DAY by Jonathan Stone (seniors can really relate) and KILLING OF THE FLOWER MOON (having read and studied history much of my life, I was dismayed I knew nothing about the OSAGE INDIANS and their place in our history)

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue Green My favorite book is To Kill a Mockingbird. Each time you read it, or see a film version, you can have a new perspective as a result of your stage in life. I'm currently reading (and enjoying) Becoming by Michelle Obama.

Maxine, I felt the same way--why did I not learn that in school? It was eye-opening.

message 6: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 74 comments I have just finished a book called Life in a Jar by Jack Mayer. It is about a Polish woman who saved over 2,000 Jewish children during the second world war. Her story was little known until some Kansas teenagers did a history project. It is a fascinating and informative story.

message 7: by Dana (new)

Dana Sexton | 8 comments Many years ago (20?) I read Midwives by Chris Bohjalian. The moral and ethical dilemmas were very thought provoking. Twist at the end felt realistic and compelling. I’m wondering if I would still love it upon a second read after all this time!

message 8: by Michele (new)

Michele (mlbose) | 160 comments This is a sappy answer so I apologize in advance, haha. But my favorite book has to be Charlotte’s Web for the simple fact that it was one of the first books that made me realize reading was more than academic. I still have my copy from childhood.

Dana, Midwives has stuck with me as well. Soo thought-provoking.

message 10: by Michelle (last edited Jun 01, 2020 06:05PM) (new)

Michelle Ostis | 290 comments One of my favorites is James Joyce’s Ulysses. I’m assuming its closing lines, breathless stream of consciousness, some of the most erotic in literature, are the source of the title of our upcoming selection for September. “...and then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me yes would I yes...and first I put my arms around him yes...and drew him down to me...and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes. (Take that, 50 shades of...)

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie | 75 comments Maxine wrote: "I love several books but 2 that I really thought were great were MOVING DAY by Jonathan Stone (seniors can really relate) and KILLING OF THE FLOWER MOON (having read and studied history much of my ..."

I agree with you Maxine, Killing of the Flower Moon was an amazing (and sad) book.

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie | 75 comments Is Moving Day more of mystery than sad, Maxine?

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie | 75 comments I think my all time favorite is March by Geraldine Brooks. So well written, entertaining, educational and the last paragraph... I couldn't put it down and all these years later, it stays with me. (don't skip ahead!)
It is a story of the father of the March Girls of Little Women while he is away during the Civil War.

message 14: by Michelle (last edited Jun 02, 2020 08:43AM) (new)

Michelle Ostis | 290 comments During isolation, I’ve delved into Penelope Lively (How it All Began, Consequences, Family Album—skewering modern day English society) and Richard Russo (Nobody’s Fool, Everybody’s Fool, Empire Falls, The Risk Pool, Mohawk, That Old Cape Magic, Straight Man—finely wrought characters & male angst amid struggling small town life). One of the best things about having worked in the shops for 20-plus years & thus amassing thousands of books is ferreting out additional titles from my own shelves as I’m newly enjoying a particular author.

message 15: by Retta (new)

Retta Brandon | 179 comments I am rereading a favorite book The Geography of Genius by Eric Weiner since this book allows me to time travel to places as an armchair travelogueer ( made up the word)!!! The way it is written you can choose any chapter and delve into past and present person who has changed our lives by their genius impact on our Earth. Eric Weiner brings out the creativity and discovery of genius cluster with cohorts around the world.

message 16: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Dickie | 100 comments My favorite book growing up was A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith. That book really affected me emotionally and opened me up to a lifetime love of reading. Because of that it will always remain my favorite book. I can still picture myself sitting by the window as a child reading it.

Lorraine

message 17: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Bonito | 23 comments My favorite book is Little Women. I still have my original copy from childhood and reread it every few years.

message 18: by Kent (new)

Kent  R (kentr33d) | 119 comments I always find Christmas books to read for the month of December. I won this book from Goodreads, called "Holding Out For Christmas" by Jenet Dailey. I don't know if we'll have a Christmas theme for book club in December.

message 19: by Librarian Molly (new)

Kent-I like Christmas books in December, too. And surprise, that is IS the plan for book club. :)