What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Adult? Historical fiction. Young girl hides books? She lives above a shop and a staircase. Possibly set in 1940s? Germany?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Mullane | 5 comments I read this probably 20 years ago. I recall a young girl living above a shop and a staircase. I think she was hiding books. Possibly set in Germany?

message 2: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16176 comments Is this book for kids, teens, or adults?

message 3: by Bentoboxcreature22 (last edited May 27, 2020 07:22AM) (new)

Bentoboxcreature22 | 12 comments Hello--these might be obvious, but I figured I'd mention them anyway, just in case!

The Book Thief
The Diary of a Young Girl

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33389 comments Mod
Laurie, how old is the girl? Who does she live with?

What's the time period of the story?

message 5: by Jaiden (new)

Jaiden | 31 comments Words on Fire?

message 6: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Mullane | 5 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Is this book for kids, teens, or adults?"
I would say adults - I don't recall that it was written in a YA format.

message 7: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Mullane | 5 comments Kris wrote: "Laurie, how old is the girl? Who does she live with?

What's the time period of the story?"

I think it was 1940s - that's why I'm thinking is was situated in Germany - but don't remember for sure.

message 8: by Kris (new)

I added possible genre and plot details to the topic header. Feel free to update it by clicking the small “edit” link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website – not the Mobile website or app.

message 9: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Mullane | 5 comments Bentoboxcreature22 wrote: "Hello--these might be obvious, but I figured I'd mention them anyway, just in case!

The Book Thief
The Diary of a Young Girl"

Thank you - but no - darn!

message 10: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Mullane | 5 comments Anisha_book_lover wrote: ""Words on Fire" by Jennifer A. Nielsen for Emma's suggestion"

No - but that is one I will put on my TBR list!

message 11: by Kris (new)

Why does she possibly hide books (e.g., books are burned or destroyed, considered controversial, her parents disapprove, just personal treasures)? What's the tone or mood of the story?