Play Book Tag discussion

What Stands in a Storm: Three Days in the Worst Superstorm to Hit the South's Tornado Alley
This topic is about What Stands in a Storm
Archive: Other Books > (Poll Ballot) What Stands in a Storm by Kim Cross - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ellen | 2136 comments April 27, 2011, is a day that is embedded in the minds of hundreds of thousands of Americans who live in the Southern Tornado Alley. Including the two days before April 27th, 349 tornadoes touched down and devastated the lives of so many. Entire communities were razed to the ground, hundreds of people lost their lives and the South was brought to its knees. The author does a great job describing the birth of super cell storms that spawn the deadly twisters. But the heart of the book is the stories of some of the people: a trio of college students barricaded in a hallway, covered in blankets and pillows; a hard-working weatherman staying on-air for hours informing residents of the dangers barreling down on them; storm-chasers, professional and amateur, looking for the perfect video of a monster storm. At times the book reads like a novel, tingling with suspense and horror. The personal stories are hard to read; I definitely shed a few tears during this book. Fortunately the latter chapters deal with community spirit and how so many strangers came to assist the hard-hit communities. It is a well done but heartbreaking book.

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7475 comments This sounds like I would enjoy-nice review and thanks for sharing, adding to my TBR