What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Murder/kidnapping. A mother says her young son was was killed or kidnapped by a black man a city. It's told from the POV of the detective who has put part of the city on lock down looking for the boy. Spoiler ahead.

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katy (new)

Katy | 1 comments It was a suspense book that was heavily about racial tension, since the mother and child were white, and the city section the cops had to lock down was mostly black. I believe the detective was black as well, but I can't say for certain. The mother's story slowly unravels during the book, and the son might not have actually been killed, the mother hid him. I think a playground factors in somehow. I remember the detective having to be in someone's home, trying to balance believing this distraught mother and not accusing people simply because they were black. I think the detective had a partner who was slightly more skeptical from the beginning.

I think it would have been released in the late 90's/early 2000's, it was something I had to read for high school. If I remember correctly, the cover was red/black/white with a picture of a worn wooden swing. The title was short, like one or two words. That's all I can remember.

message 2: by Dave (new)

Dave Wegner | 12 comments Freedomland by Richard Price

message 3: by Bargle (last edited Aug 17, 2020 03:30AM) (new)

Bargle | 1220 comments Link Freedomland by Richard Price.

Spoiler moved to next post.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38282 comments Mod
"....but the mom was the one who did it."

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Freedomland (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Richard Price (other topics)