What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Adult Thriller novel, late 1990's/early 2000's? Guy tries to stop terrorists(?) from spilling nuclear Chernobyl contamination into the sea, ocean currents would spread it all over the world. Radiation sickness in forest/swamp?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex | 6 comments I would have read this book around 2008/2009ish, but it was from a bag of paperbacks at my grandmother's, so the book was older than that - I think it was late 90's or early 00's. The physical book was a cheap grocery-store type of paperback. I think it could have been written by Dean Koontz or John Grisham or "that type" of prolific thriller writer.

The plot follows a guy who is trying to stop someone (I think terrorists, but I'm not sure) who planned to somehow sabotage the Chernobyl containment in order to dump all the radioactive contamination into the sea. I remember the character realizing that the exact spot they planned to dump it would carry it all over the world because of ocean currents.

I remember a scene where the MC is walking through a contaminated forest/swamp? type of area, and he has one of those clip-on dosimeters, but it's already beyond maxed out and he's getting radiation sickness. I think there was a female scientist with him at some point (I think she may have been the deuteragonist), possibly for this scene.

The book doesn't really have anything to do with the Chernobyl disaster itself per say, Chernobyl is really just a sort of plot point as a thing for bad guys to threaten the world with.

message 2: by Alex (new)

Alex | 6 comments bump

message 3: by Kris (last edited Jul 24, 2020 06:06PM) (new)

Kris | 35166 comments Mod
Alex, I added a few details and keywords to the topic header, so your book might be recognized from that description alone. Many members only read the headers.

Feel free to update it by clicking the small "edit" link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)