Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Novel/Novella/Novellette?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2 comments Hi, brand noob here, trying to get things right before I start (and stuff things up). I did ask this question in the community help area, but was directed here.

I'm trying to find out how Goodreads categorises novels, novellas, and novellettes. The librarian manual didn't specify (that I could see) and I have a few author friends who have some of their books changed to novellas, and their series numbers go wonky, so I want to avoid that when I start publishing my series (which has different length books in it).

So, my question is, what constitutes a novel/novella/novellette here and how do I need to manage my book series to keep it all lined up?

Thanks so much :-)

message 2: by Antonomasia (new)

Antonomasia | 508 comments These are not official categories on GR. "Genres" on the book pages are crowdsourced - i.e. based on tags users choose.

A publication, like a novel, novella or novelette or short story released as a separate publication (e.g. if a short story was released in its own ebook) is a "work" regardless of length, and as many editions as exist can be combined into the work.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily | 13538 comments Here's a comment from a moderator:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2 comments Wow thanks for all the comments! I reply in order:

1. I didn't mention anything about genres, but thanks :-)
2. This one is perfect. If Goodreads is going on the standard that a novel is 40k+ words (or minimum 160 pages), then that makes it really easy!
3. Thanks for that link - that's the link I read originally but it doesn't explain what Goodreads defines a "novella" as, so that's why I'm here :-)

So if the link to the moderator's explanation is the rule for how it's done, then I've got my answer.

Thanks so much for all the help :-) :-) :-)

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily | 13538 comments That's not a hard-and-fast rule, but it is a post I remembered from someone asking a similar question, so I thought I would share. Good luck.