Swarthmore Summer Book Groups discussion

General > What are you currently reading?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Swarthmore (new)

Swarthmore Libraries (swatlibrary) | 5 comments Mod
Outside of your discussion book, what are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? Do you recommend it? Why or why not?

message 2: by Christina (new)

Christina | 3 comments I'm reading Mao's Great Famine: The History of China's Most Devastating Catastrophe, 1958-62. I didn't know much about Chinese history and now I have a big project working with Chinese collaborators on a plant that is native to Japan and China but invasive in Europe and N America. The book has been quite an eye opener! I'm amazed at the story, but also the fact that a lot of this information has only been available since 2006 when local archives were open to few scholars like the author Dikötter. There's an interesting wikipedia page here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mao%27s...

message 3: by M Aghazarian (new)

M Aghazarian | 3 comments Christina wrote: "I'm reading Mao's Great Famine: The History of China's Most Devastating Catastrophe, 1958-62. I didn't know much about Chinese history and now I have a big project working with Chinese collaborator..."

This sounds fascinating! Do you find that it affects your perspective on your research?