Swarthmore Summer Book Groups discussion

General > Introduce yourself!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Swarthmore (new)

Swarthmore Libraries (swatlibrary) | 5 comments Mod
Introduce yourself to other folks in the summer book group!
- Who are you & what's your connection to Swarthmore? (Name, pronouns, class year if applicable)
- What kind of books do you like to read?
- Anything you'd like to recommend?

message 2: by Christina (new)

Christina | 3 comments Hi! I'm an associate professor in the Integrative Biology department at U South Florida in Tampa. I graduated from Swarthmore College in 1995. I like historical fiction typically, but lately have gotten into science fiction with my daughter (8 years old) who is obsessed with space and wants to be an astronaut and go to Mars. One of my favorite series that we found after Harry Potter and His Dark Materials was George's Secret Key 5 book series written by Stephen and Lucy Hawking. We started reading the first just after the image of the black hole from Katie Bouman's team was released last year and it is amazing!

message 3: by Han (new)

Han (han_chen) | 1 comments Hello! I'm Han (she/her/hers), a rising junior at Swarthmore College (class of '22) studying biochemistry and medical anthropology. I grew up in the Philly area and absolutely love reading science fiction and historical fiction; however, recently I've read a string of memoirs all of which were amazing reads: Becoming (Michelle Obama), When Breath Becomes Air (Paul Kalanithi), and Educated (Tara Westover).

message 4: by Christina (new)

Christina | 3 comments Han wrote: "Hello! I'm Han (she/her/hers), a rising junior at Swarthmore College (class of '22) studying biochemistry and medical anthropology. I grew up in the Philly area and absolutely love reading science ..."

Cool! I have Becoming on my shelf to read as soon as possible.

message 5: by Stephanie (last edited Jun 04, 2020 09:43AM) (new)

Stephanie (steph_kestelman) | 1 comments Hi all! I'm Steph (she/her), class of 2016. I'm getting a PhD in economics, so I read a LOT of non-fiction. I sprinkle some celebrity memoirs for fun (reading the Jessica Simpson one right now). I don't read much fiction these days but am always looking to get back into it.

message 6: by M Aghazarian (last edited Jun 09, 2020 10:36AM) (new)

M Aghazarian | 3 comments Hi all! I'm Maria Aghazarian (she/her/hers), a librarian at McCabe. I work mostly with publishing and copyright which is my jam, but you can also find me running the library's twitter + instagram.
My happy place when it comes to reading are comics (any kind) and memoirs on audiobook. Currently I'm reading The Way Through the Woods: Of Mushrooms and Mourning by Litt Woon Long; I've been getting into mushrooming lately and have been spending a lot of "quarantime" in the woods.

message 7: by M Aghazarian (new)

M Aghazarian | 3 comments Christina wrote: "Hi! I'm an associate professor in the Integrative Biology department at U South Florida in Tampa. I graduated from Swarthmore College in 1995. I like historical fiction typically, but lately have g..."

I never knew that Stephen & Lucy Hawking wrote a book series!! I'm going to have to check it out!

message 8: by Penne (new)

Penne | 1 comments Hi, I'm Penne (pronounced like the coin, not pasta: she/her), class of '79. I'm semi-retired, working freelance in communications and fundraising for a small non-profit in Vermont. Hmm, I like mysteries, family saga novels and lots in between. The last novel I read was The End of Loneliness by Benedict Wells, which I liked. I rarely read non-fiction but read Educated by Tara Westover a few months ago and could not put it down. A lot of my reading ends up being art related: about making artists books, drawing, painting or gardening! I am looking forward to discussing the book, although I have not gotten too far yet and need to get reading!