Georgette Heyer Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > Georgette Heyer's Regency World by Jennifer Kloester

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4321 comments Mod
Hi Everyone!

Just a reminder that the above book is a non fiction group read for us.

The read starts on the 15th of June & finishes the 14th of July. We can extend the read time though if anyone has trouble getting a copy due to the Coronavirus. :)

message 2: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 201 comments I'm in. Just a question, I assume it references various Heyer's books, and it's fine, but are there many major spoilers?

message 3: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Moloch wrote: "I'm in. Just a question, I assume it references various Heyer's books, and it's fine, but are there many major spoilers?"

Now that's a good question - one I can't answer at the moment! I was rather hoping there wouldn't be spoilers, seeing this book should be about the era rather than GH's books. But I do remember Jen's biography of GH having some major spoilers for some of GH's detective novels.

I'll haul the book out today & have a quick skim & let everyone know. :)

message 4: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 1367 comments I had totally forgotten about this. Good thing I got a head start on a couple of other group reads for this month! Looking forward to it.

message 5: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Abigail wrote: "I had totally forgotten about this. Good thing I got a head start on a couple of other group reads for this month! Looking forward to it."

I can safely promise it will be a leisurely read. I'll be away for a week of the read, but I will take my copy with me. :)

message 6: by Louise Sparrow (new)

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 458 comments I don't usually read much around the books so this should be interesting :)

message 7: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 2642 comments Mod
I have my copy and just cracked it open - very, very interesting so far. Closed it back - but it was difficult. Really looking forward to this one!

message 8: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3537 comments I can get an ebook copy through Scribd, so I’m in also! Looking forward to it.

message 9: by QNPoohBear (last edited May 26, 2020 07:29PM) (new)

QNPoohBear | 1348 comments I think there are some minor spoilers. I'll have a look and see. I own a copy on my keeper Regency shelf.

message 10: by Moloch (last edited May 27, 2020 02:11AM) (new)

Moloch | 201 comments Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ wrote: "Moloch wrote: "I'm in. Just a question, I assume it references various Heyer's books, and it's fine, but are there many major spoilers?"

Now that's a good question - one I can't answer at the mome..."

Thank you, Carol, but I don't want you to take too much trouble. I don't think there will be either (*), just asking if there was someone who had already read the book to be extra sure.

(*) very likely many references like "like in the scene in book X...", but I doubt much more than this

edit: fixed a mistake

message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 1275 comments I already have the ebook checked out and have just started both it and Charity Girl.
thank goodness for ebooks!

message 12: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Jackie wrote: "I already have the ebook checked out and have just started both it and Charity Girl.
thank goodness for ebooks!"

Yes! We are quite spoiled in that regard.

Confession - I opened it back up and read the first chapter! No patience!

message 13: by Barb in Maryland (new)

Barb in Maryland | 681 comments Double-checked my shelf o' GH books and found that I own Jane Aiken Hodge's 'Private World of GH" and Kloester's bio of GH but not 'Regency World'. Well, I quickly fixed that! The book should be here in time for the read. I'm looking forward to it.

message 14: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Moloch wrote: "Thank you, Carol, but I don't want you to take too much trouble."

No bother. I had a quick look last night I must say, the quick look had me quite excited about the read! GH's regency titles are heavily indexed. I had a quick look & the books seemed to be used as examples for the use of different equipment/customs. I think there would be very minor spoilers at the most.

Susan in Perthshire (susanageofaquarius) | 1117 comments I had forgotten about this read and checked my shelf to discover that although I have both biographies, I didn't have Regency World. However, thanks to the magic of Amazon's Kindle - it's now sitting on my iPad ready to read. (Have a quick peek - looks good!

message 16: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 1275 comments anyone else already started?

message 17: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 1348 comments Jackie wrote: "anyone else already started?"

Yes but it is a reread for me so I'll just dip in here and there. The book does have minor spoilers. Right away I saw one about A Civil Contract (view spoiler).

All Regency fiction authors need a copy of this book on their reference shelf. Almost none of them can get titles correct. Murder on the SS Rosa Ginger Gold author Lee Strauss is the worst offender (1920s setting). Ginger's late husband was Lord Gold, maybe Baron Gold. There's also "an honorable" which apparently is a title? /end rant

Susan in Perthshire (susanageofaquarius) | 1117 comments Jackie wrote: "anyone else already started?"

Yes I have, but Carol said it would start on 15 June - so I was waiting until then to post comments. Don't suppose it matters too much!

message 19: by Critterbee❇ (new)

I have been snooping around the book as well, but waiting to talk about it :)

message 20: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 1717 comments I'm in too. It's been a long time since I read it so look forward to the read.

message 21: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3537 comments I’ve got it through Scribd, read the first chapter or so to see if I wanted to continue, and I think it’s very interesting! Readable popular history- one of my favorites!

message 22: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

I'm just going to close this & then set up two threads for diiscussion of this book. :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.