Audiobooks discussion

Ask Audible > Changes to downloading to PC

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Doug (new)

Doug (lakeman) | 70 comments I received this email from Audible today, just a heads up for those of us who are still using a PC to download Audible titles perhaps through Audible Manager to listen to on an iPod (like me, with Windows 8.1).

Dear Listener,

Our records show that in the past, you may have downloaded your Audible titles on your Windows PC in an older audio format we call “format 4.” In the upcoming weeks, we will be moving all downloads to an enhanced, high-quality audio format and will no longer support format 4 downloading.

We’re excited about providing you with this higher-quality listening experience. Your Audible titles are yours to keep and will be available for download in the new, higher-quality audio format. If you prefer to listen to your Audible titles in format 4 audio, you will want to download them all to your device before we make the switch on 6/30/2020.

You can continue downloading using the Audible Manager software on your computer if you would like, but you will need to make sure you are downloading in Enhanced format. If you switch to a different computer in the future, you will need to download a new software called AudibleSync, which we are working on now.

If you would like to learn more about other ways to listen to Audible, like via our smartphone app for iOS and Android devices, streaming from your desktop or laptop computer, or from an Alexa-integrated device, we’re happy to talk to you more about these options.

If you run into any issues, just let us know—we'll figure it out. We’re here for you 24/7.

Audible
Customer Experience Team

This is of little import to me because Format 4 books released recently do not play on iPods. I have to download the larger enhanced format in parts because any audiobook longer than 12 hours hangs the iPod in the enhanced format. I preferred format 4 (back when those worked) because of size issues--a longer audiobook in enhanced format can easily eat more than a GB on my hard drive. I do wonder how AudibleSync will work with iTunes in the future, or if this is another attempt to push us all toward using the app on a tablet or phone? I love my iPod and it will be a sad day when they make it incompatible.

message 2: by Contrarius (new)

Contrarius | 398 comments Just a note -- If you're willing to invest the time, you can convert Audible's .aax files to mp3 with the OpenAudible app. Your ipod may like that format better!

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen (rhyta) | 153 comments Yeah this sounds exactly like they are trying to make everyone use their phones to listen. I don't like this but not sure what I can do other than a multi part download. I still use a MP3 player to listen so those enhanced files may be too much. Great.

message 4: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1060 comments I download into iTunes on my Mac which has always worked well, but I did have to go back to downloading in parts to avoid errors as Doug says. It's not consistent though, I've had some longer files work.

I have had the feeling for a long time that Audible wants us to stream everything, or at least download to a phone or other smart device, which means we don't "own" it the same way as when we put it on our computers. They want to know how many hours you listen, whether you finished the book, etc.

I have access on my computer to all the Audible books I have ever purchased and downloaded, even if the company withdraws them and even if I returned them! However I have deleted the returned ones because what's the point of taking up space when I hated the book. (Actually I've deleted many of the books from my computer after listening to save space, just keeping my favorites and some I think family members might enjoy.)

If I really can't use the iPod nano in the future, I'll get the smallest iPod Touch or used phone that will work, as I want something very small for walking/exercising. In fairness, every other service I am aware of requires a phone or similar device. However, I love the iPod Nano and the $60 it cost to replace mine when it got damaged was well worth it, I even bought a backup one on eBay for around the same price. Most enjoyment per square inch of any product I have ever owned!

message 5: by Trio (new)

Trio | 19 comments do you convert the files when you download to your computer?

message 6: by Doug (new)

Doug (lakeman) | 70 comments Trio wrote: "do you convert the files when you download to your computer?"

I do not convert them. I have been an Audible customer since 2008 and have over 500 titles in my "library" so converting them would be a more major ordeal. I may need to look into OpenAudible in the future to keep the books going on my iPod though. The only time I use my tablet to listen to Audible titles is when I am immersion reading with the synced e-book companion. My Fire tablet is just too large to be portable like my handy little iPod Nano (which I purchased, in part, to listen to Audible titles with in the first place).

message 7: by Trio (new)

Trio | 19 comments I've had books disappear (usually over authors' issues) and when I questioned customer svs they have refunded my purchase price.

A friend in another group told me how to convert them, but once I started, it took so much time!

I was wondering if I can store them without converting them - and I have hundreds as well.

I've considered buying memory cards for my kindle and just storing them that way.

message 8: by Contrarius (new)

Contrarius | 398 comments Doug wrote: "The only time I use my tablet to listen to Audible titles is when I am immersion reading with the synced e-book companion. My Fire tablet is just too large to be portable like my handy little iPod Nano (which I purchased, in part, to listen to Audible titles with in the first place). "

I listen to all my books on my iphone, but I don't like the Audible app so I convert everything to mp3 with OpenAudible. It does take some extra time, but for me it's worth it!

Trio wrote: "I was wondering if I can store them without converting them - and I have hundreds as well."

Sure -- you can store them in whatever format you like. I keep all of mine in aax format, and I create mp3 copies whenever I either want to listen to them or whenever I just have a few extra minutes to work on my library.

message 9: by Trio (new)

Trio | 19 comments I use an android device for listening and the Audible app works fine for me, but I'd definitely be open to finding something better.

message 10: by Lee (new)

Lee Howlett | 356 comments I'm hoping to still be able to use my Sansa player since it's only a year old. I hate using my phone to listen. My Sansa is so light and clips to my clothing.

message 11: by CatBookMom (last edited May 28, 2020 09:54PM) (new)

CatBookMom | 995 comments I just read about this change yesterday, via a post at Ravelry, in the audiobook group there. This is a PITA, since I download to my PC's external hard drive (safer, if the PC dies) and then listen using Audible Mgr or copy/drop to get the files to my MP3 Sansa players. I just finished several hours' frustrating work, trying to get my newest books downloaded, given the really buggy Audible Manager and Audible Download Manager.

I have 15 credits, just renewed in mid-April. So effectively they've changed their contract with me (and everyone else who uses PCs, etc), after the fact. I don't have 15 audiobooks I want to buy right now, but if I have to find them I will, and then quit.

I 'own' over 1000 (yeah 1K) audiobooks, bought since 2007. I wonder how many other very long-time listeners they're going to lose over this change.

message 12: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 995 comments Contrarius wrote: "Doug wrote: "The only time I use my tablet to listen to Audible titles is when I am immersion reading with the synced e-book companion. My Fire tablet is just too large to be portable like my handy..."

How long have you been using OpenAudible, and have you had any problems? Do you have a lot of audiobooks? This is the first I've read about this program, so I'm very curious.

message 13: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1060 comments CatBookMom wrote: "I just read about this change yesterday, via a post at Ravelry, in the audiobook group there. This is a PITA, since I download to my PC's external hard drive (safer, if the PC dies) and then listen..."

I think you have a case about the contract change, so if you prefer to cancel, they should refund you your yearly fee and take back the credits.

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann | 81 comments Another long-time customer here (joined in 2006). I will be very unhappy if they go to a streaming model, or one that only downloads to your phone. I never listen on my phone and have no intention of starting, and our internet is not always good enough for smooth streaming.

I do have all my books downloaded and backed up, and am in the process of converting them all to mp3 so I will still be able to listen as I choose. I have been slowly converting them for a few years with a free program, but the message from Audible prompted me to pay the $12 for OpenAudible, and I have been very impressed with it so far (a couple of days, but I've converted over a hundred books already). It's really fast and easy. There is an issue with the length of files, as it is really set up to convert single files only, not books in parts, but I think I can work around that by downloading thru the library on my PC for now, re-labeling them, and side-loading them into OpenAudible. I know I have one series that is all one book and is 65 hours long and yeah ... it needs to be split, lol.

Converting will take me over a month even if I run it pretty much full time - I'm a voracious listener, lol - but it sure looks like it's time to get that done!

As for the future, I guess I'll just have to wait and see what they actually put out there.

message 15: by L J (new)

L J | 284 comments This certainly sounds like they, like others, are leaning toward phone usage and streaming. This discourages me buying additional books from audible since I primarily use my windows computer to store and listen to audiobooks.
I use my Fire tablet to listen sometimes but due to lack of memory often have to delete audiobook to download another.

message 16: by Faith (new)

Faith | 415 comments L J wrote: "This certainly sounds like they, like others, are leaning toward phone usage and streaming. This discourages me buying additional books from audible since I primarily use my windows computer to sto..."

If you use a memory card with the Fire, Audible books will download to the card. Overdrive books will not however.

message 17: by L J (last edited May 29, 2020 08:28AM) (new)

L J | 284 comments Faith wrote: "L J wrote: "This certainly sounds like they, like others, are leaning toward phone usage and streaming. This discourages me buying additional books from audible since I primarily use my windows com...
If you use a memory card with the Fire, Audible books will download to the card..."

I have a memory card in my Fire with it designated for download of audible books but three of the four I currently have on my Fire downloaded to internal memory not to card.

Overdrive books will not however.
Hoopla is that way, too.

message 18: by Contrarius (new)

Contrarius | 398 comments CatBookMom wrote: "How long have you been using OpenAudible, and have you had any problems? Do you have a lot of audiobooks? This is the first I've read about this program, so I'm very curious."

Errr.... I've been using OpenAudible for probably more than a year, but I don't remember exactly.

And I've got over 10,000 audiobooks in total, about 1850 purchased from Audible over the years (I've used more than one account, so I don't know the exact number off-hand). No, I haven't converted nearly 1850 books, and most of my non-Audible books were mp3 to begin with.

message 19: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 995 comments Contrarius wrote: "I've got over 10,000 audiobooks in total, about 1850 purchased from Audible over the years (I've used more than one account, so I don't know the exact number off-hand)...."

Wow. Just wow!

Thanks for the info about OpenAudible. Some of the audiobook fans at Ravelry have mentioned that a couple of the most-recent models of the Sansa Clip (Jam?) will deal with the enhanced format.

message 20: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3263 comments I always download every Audible purchase to my Pc and then copy it to an external harddrive.

What I understood from the memo is that they are no longer offering the books in anything other than the enhanced format. It can still be downloaded in parts if it is a longer book. I know some smaller players have limited storage so this may be a problem, but I don't think they are eliminating the use of such devices... yet.

I most frequently listen to my books using an Echo device. Yesterday for about an our Alexa kept telling me she was having trouble reading the book--all books as it turned out. Thank heavens I had my Pc available to carry on. But if Audible thinks streaming is the only answer, they should be ready for massive complaints every time the system has a glitch.

I for one don't want to be totally dependent on sources that are so removed from me for all my listening. I've had loss of electricity, loss of cable, loss of computer connection to the internet, and even those weird disturbances out there in the ether they say are caused by sunspots... but I've always had some unconnected device with stored audiobooks that made it possible for me to listen in the mean time. I shudder to think of trying to get through that kind of problem with streaming only... hours and hours without audiobooks... oh the horror!

message 21: by Contrarius (new)

Contrarius | 398 comments Yeah, I live on the edge of cell service, and my only source of wifi is through my cellphone hotspot -- so I could not survive with a streaming-only service. Whether I'm listening to a book from Audible, Scribd, Overdrive/Libby, or any other source, I always download it first -- even if that's only downloading it to my phone.

message 22: by Robin P (last edited May 29, 2020 05:08PM) (new)

Robin P | 1060 comments Really good points. There is a market for products for those of us who like to listen offline on small devices. An Apple watch is not the answer. Besides the cost, I happened to get a link today about how "easy" it is to do. You need to have a phone nearby of course, and it literally takes 20-30 minutes to download a book to the watch.

In theory, we can download a book to a phone or other device and listen offline, but I have found that sometimes there are glitches. For us audio addicts, being out in the woods on a walk and having our book not work and no service to fix it would be a crisis. I had this happen with a couple of other services, I think one was audiobooks.com. The book had been downloaded but wouldn't play or couldn't be found and had to be downloaded again. I was on a free trial with that service and dropped it asap.

message 23: by Ann (new)

Ann | 81 comments Jeanie wrote: "I always download every Audible purchase to my Pc and then copy it to an external harddrive. What I understood from the memo is that they are no longer offering the books in anything other than th..."

I agree that the move to enhanced format only is the current change. But the parts of the email that worry me are these bits:

"If you switch to a different computer in the future, you will need to download a new software called AudibleSync, which we are working on now.

If you would like to learn more about other ways to listen to Audible, like via our smartphone app for iOS and Android devices, streaming from your desktop or laptop computer, or from an Alexa-integrated device, we’re happy to talk to you more about these options."

The current downloading systems are apparently all going away, and in the next breath they appear to be pushing smartphones and streaming. I wait with bated breath to see what the new downloading method is ....

message 24: by Doug (new)

Doug (lakeman) | 70 comments Because the files are DRM enhanced, they have to provide a way to "unlock" the files with our login and password in order to play them. I ran into this in iTunes with a recurring validation error; the files were there in iTunes but would not play because I had updated and iTunes had a bug. Audible had to fix something in my registry to reinstall Audible Download Manager from scratch to get the files to unlock. Whatever method this new AudibleSync uses, I hope it works with stand alone players (or to me it will be useless). I can download and backup the AAX files but if they won't unlock to play they are no good because of the DRM.

I am considering OpenAudible more seriously at this point, but I have a lot of really long books that would be in parts because of the file limitation on the iPod itself. In format 4 (64kbps file format) the limitation was 27 hours, longer would hang the player and had to be in pieces. With the enhanced format (128kbps format) the file length that will play is much smaller, more than about 13 hours hangs the player. I'd like to know more about Audible's new unwritten program and what they intend it to do before I invest a lot of time into converting my Audible library. I don't look forward to spending weeks on a project to make my files play that right now already do. My internet isn't too fast either, if I have to do a lot of re-downloading of books into a different format it would take a long time.

As I like to say, "All of my technology still works today!" (Knowing full well that it might not tomorrow.)

message 25: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 995 comments Jeanie wrote: "I always download every Audible purchase to my Pc and then copy it to an external harddrive.

What I understood from the memo is that they are no longer offering the books in anything other than th..."

Well said. We've had - recently - recurrent issues with our internet/phone service, which meant I spent a total of 5+ hours on hold on my cell phone. It's bad enough with our landline phone, but the smaller cell phone is worse.
I don't want to be stuck waiting for connections from my audiobooks to my cellphone.

message 26: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 995 comments Jeanie wrote: "I always download every Audible purchase to my Pc and then copy it to an external harddrive.

What I understood from the memo is that they are no longer offering the books in anything other than the enhanced format. It can still be downloaded in parts if it is a longer book.

Not only not offering books this way, they are ONLY offered in 6-7hr segments. Although I found that this was quite variable; some books which were 10+ hours were downloadable in one file, others were not, so that there were 2-3 segments. That's OK, as far as I know; I don't yet know how that will work with my Clips, or even the Kindle Fire I sometimes use to listen with, when I'm settled in with my knitting.

message 27: by Karen (last edited May 30, 2020 10:53PM) (new)

Karen (rhyta) | 153 comments I found Tuneskit several years ago after I lost a bunch of books when we switched computers. It takes some time to convert all the titles on hand but it is worth it. I like I can convert into chapters so it is easier to find my place when I have to stop listening.

Don't know what the enhanced format will do to that but it does sound like they are making a move to streaming. Ugh.

Upon re-reading some posts, make sure you have your files saved in another format (MP3) rather than the AAX. Otherwise you won't be able to open them when Audible changes the format.

message 28: by Robin P (last edited May 30, 2020 09:17PM) (new)

Robin P | 1060 comments They want us to buy Alexa devices, that's not surprising. I don't really know what is driving this. I don't think there was any problem with piracy, like me copying the file to discs and reselling it - way too much work! Probably just wanting to keep us in their universe, whether it is website or app.

message 29: by Pat () (new)

Pat ()  | -4 comments I only listen to my books on my pc or fire and just use the app from audible. Will I still be able to hear the first books downloaded to my computer when I joined? I have 749 books, I am 78 and know very little about computer apps.

message 30: by Doug (new)

Doug (lakeman) | 70 comments Pat () wrote: "I only listen to my books on my pc or fire and just use the app from audible. Will I still be able to hear the first books downloaded to my computer when I joined? I have 749 books, I am 78 and kno..."

I don't think they said they are changing those options. They only said they were eliminating "Format 4" which is relevant to those of us who download the files for stand alone players (similar to when they eliminated Formats 1, 2, and 3 in the past). They also said they are eliminating/replacing Audible Manager with a new program. They did not say what the new program will do. Audible Manager used to transfer the books to our stand alone players (unless it was an iPod, which uses iTunes to do that). The Fire tablet app and the PC app should not change according to anything I have read.

I fail to see why I need to convert my files to MP3 yet either (technically breaking the user agreement), they never said that AAX (enhanced format) will no longer play in some way. They didn't even say that format 4 will not play, only that they aren't going to offer it in the future so if you use it download your books by June 30.

There is a confusing (to me) issue concerning the two programs "Audible Manager" and "Audible Download Manager" which have similar names. I don't even use Audible Manager, as I use iTunes. I do use Audible Download Manager to download the files which they didn't say anything about changing. As far as I can tell the changes should not effect how I listen.

message 31: by Ann (new)

Ann | 81 comments Doug wrote: "Pat () wrote: "I only listen to my books on my pc or fire and just use the app from audible. Will I still be able to hear the first books downloaded to my computer when I joined? I have 749 books, ..."

It does say you will not be able to use Audible Manager if you move to a new computer; there will be a new app. In my experience, this often means that they stop fully supporting the old apps and they tend to go buggy. I think this all really depends on what their new app will allow us to do, and that they aren't saying.

message 32: by Mike (new)

Mike Bassett | 2 comments Hello, I recently bought an Apple watch Series 5 - I have no problem with the Audible App but is it possible to download the Overdrive and or Libby app to the watch - or more importantly how can I download Library audio books to the watch so I can listen to them while I go running (and not need my phone)?

message 33: by Pat () (new)

Pat ()  | -4 comments Thank you, Doug and Ann. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best all will be well. Being in the U.K. I have not had any notification about this

message 34: by redandwhite (new)

redandwhite | 42 comments I bought myself the New Paperwhite because it can play audible books - even with Format 4 the files are quite large and take ages to download themselves and when the books have to be downloaded in Enhanced format I am wondering whether there will be enough storage space on my new PW and how long such a download would take

message 35: by redandwhite (new)

redandwhite | 42 comments What confuses me/upsets me with the email in the first post here is the following paragraph:-

You can continue downloading using the Audible Manager software on your computer if you would like, but you will need to make sure you are downloading in Enhanced format. If you switch to a different computer in the future, you will need to download a new software called AudibleSync, which we are working on now.

They say we can continue to download our books with Audible Manager to our PC's (which I do, but in Format 4 at the moment) - but ...... If you switch to a different computer in the future, you will need to download a new software

I am wondering why a new computer would not accept installing the copy of the Audible Manager programme files I have on my present computer since I originally installed the programme from a copy I had on an external USB (and I still have that).

What also worries me a lot is that they want us to use a new software called AudibleSync, which they are working on now (i.e. they are not finished developing it yet !!) - When will it be available ???

They are making their changes to the downloadable formats very soon - per June 30th - and since it is already the 6th today I foresee that things may not go smoothly for any of us !!

message 36: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 995 comments OK, this is absolutely BIZARRE -

Last night/early this morning, I was listening to a J. D Robb audiobook on a Kindle Fire. Just now, about 9pm I tried to start it at the last place, and found nothing.

Just a total jumble. I had to re-authorize my account. And there is mostly no evidence of the book I was listening to last night. Not only that, there is no evidence of my previous, listened-to books, as there has been in the past.

It's almost as if I'm a brand-new Audible customer.

I dont know WTF has happened, but I am really upset about this. I've been working my way throught the J. D. Robb audiobooks, and none of them seem to be left in my Kindle Fire.

WTF is going on?

message 37: by Contrarius (new)

Contrarius | 398 comments CatBookMom wrote: "OK, this is absolutely BIZARRE -

Last night/early this morning, I was listening to a J. D Robb audiobook on a Kindle Fire. Just now, about 9pm I tried to start it at the last place, and found noth..."

It's been awhile since I've had to reauthorize one of my Kindles or Kindle apps, but I remember it as being a serious PITA when it happened. Unfortunately, I don't remember the details of WHY it was so annoying, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had to do with losing the downloaded library.

message 38: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 995 comments Contrarius wrote: ".It's been awhile since I've had to reauthorize one of my Kindles or Kindle apps, but I remember it as being a serious PITA when it happened. Unfortunately, I don't remember the details of WHY it was so annoying, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had to do with losing the downloaded library. .."

Yeah. My Paperwhite V10 (or whatever is the most recent) just got an 'upgrade' this past week, which scrambled a few things. So annoying.

I am in the process of using up my last credits (got them down to 6) before June 30's required upgrade to Enhanced format. And I'm not going to renew; just did that in mid-April, moved to the 12/year plan. This new required format won't work for me, and I'm tired of the ongoing issues with Audible Manager, etc.

I am also busily downloading all of my books bought in the last year. I did a big download in 2019, and I'm hoping I now have all of my 1000 or so books on my very own hard drive.

message 39: by Contrarius (new)

Contrarius | 398 comments CatBookMom wrote: "I am also busily downloading all of my books bought in the last year. I did a big download in 2019, and I'm hoping I now have all of my 1000 or so books on my very own hard drive."

Yeah, I strongly recommend that any Audible member download every book in their library. It's the only way to really know that the book files are yours in perpetuity.

message 40: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 995 comments I am down to 6 credits. I will not be renewing. I have - I *think* downloaded all of my books to my external hard drive.

I am really, really tired of the continual problems with the software for those of us who don't use smart-devices. Audible Manager has not been updated since 2015, according to the info it shows. Audible Download Manager work,sporadically, and only if you're very careful not to overload it, otherwise it hangs up and never shuts down.

I acknowledge that I'm a long way from the current, newest users, buyers. But as with many others, I've been around for 10+ years, been buying a lot (1100 books in my library!!!). And I'm annoyed, frustrated, a little pissed-off, that my group of users are being left behind, shoved out, ignored.

No, we're not the best, youngest, most up-to-date users. And yeah, maybe we need to update our devices a little. But for some of us, what we have has served us well. Why shove us out, entirely, with this newest _we won't allow any download format other than the newest.??

Does it really cause that much difficulty to keep Format 4?

Dammit.

If there's no longer a $10/year membership, I'm totally gone!! Are there enough new, smart-phone-only users to make up for us long-term fans?

Not my problem.

message 41: by Specs (new)

Specs Bunny (specsbunny) | 426 comments I understand how you feel!

message 42: by Maggie (new)

Maggie  (metgirl) | 1 comments CatBookMom wrote: "I am down to 6 credits. I will not be renewing. I have - I *think* downloaded all of my books to my external hard drive.

I am really, really tired of the continual problems with the software for ..."

I understand, I have spotty service at work and prefer my iPod ( classic, no WiFi) this is not helpful, since audiobooks are supposed to be easier for me

message 43: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1060 comments Yes, I also use an older iPod and am dreading the day when I can no longer do so. Best $60 I ever spent buying it on eBay.

message 44: by Bill (Just a) (new)

Bill (Just a) | 724 comments Robin wrote: "Yes, I also use an older iPod and am dreading the day when I can no longer do so. Best $60 I ever spent buying it on eBay."

I even bought a spare because they don't make them anymore. But my new car has issues with Nanos. So I bought a used IPhone6s and I am happy with that.

Open Audible is the cat's meow. Aim it at your online library, set it to auto covert to MP3 and go to bed.

I suspect we should all keep a copy of the audio book manager before it goes away for good. Maybe save it on the same external drive as the converted MP3s.

message 45: by Ann (new)

Ann | 81 comments During this discussion of converting to mp3s, I have an off-topic question, now that OpenAudible and I are close friends. :) Does anyone remember a thread somewhere of how to handle kindle conversions? I remember something with Calibre, I think, but can no longer find the instructions. Any ideas or information much appreciated!

message 46: by Contrarius (new)

Contrarius | 398 comments Ann wrote: "Does anyone remember a thread somewhere of how to handle kindle conversions?"

That will depend on whether you're on Mac or PC, and which version of Kindle for Mac or Kindle for PC you're using.

The best info can be found here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...

message 47: by Ann (new)

Ann | 81 comments Contrarius wrote: "Ann wrote: "Does anyone remember a thread somewhere of how to handle kindle conversions?"

That will depend on whether you're on Mac or PC, and which version of Kindle for Mac or Kindle for PC you'..."

Thank you very much! I am on a PC - well, I have 2 different laptops with different Windows versions, so hopefully I can get something to work. Thanks again!

message 48: by Contrarius (new)

Contrarius | 398 comments I hope that helps! Unfortunately, Amazon is making it harder and harder to convert their files -- but the folks on that forum are top of the line at keeping up with all the changes.

message 49: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 995 comments Bill (Just a) wrote: "I suspect we should all keep a copy of the audio book manager before it goes away for good. Maybe save it on the same external drive as the converted MP3s.."

REALLY good thought! Thanks.

I did, just barely, spend all of my last 6 audible credits today, and downloaded them to my personal, external hard drive.

Of course, the system immediately offered me 3 more credits. I just ignored them.

message 50: by Bill (Just a) (new)

Bill (Just a) | 724 comments A lot of trouble importing a book for some reason. I received this from audible:

"We have checked and would like to inform you that, ADM has been removed by Audible and if you have Windows 10 then, we would request you to please install the Audible app on your desktop and then you can easily import your audiobooks to iTunes."

I like Open Audible. If I use the app Audible wants to install will it leave audible download manager installed. Isn't that required for Open Audible to work?

« previous 1