Wanderlust Challenges discussion

Archive 2020 Misc Challenges > Italy Word Search

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 14199 comments Italy Word Search
June 1, 2020 - August 31, 2020
Passport-Stamp-2
The words for this search are taken from Patrizia's Italian Adventure Challenge. But you do not need to participate in both to play.

Below is the list of 45 words for you to find. They can only be found within the text of the book - no covers, titles or authors, please. For each word you find, please provide the book title, page or location, and the sentence or phrase containing the word.

Happy Hunting!!

Words
Artisan
Angels (must be plural)
Aristocrat
Ash(es)
Bell
Boot
Catholic
Century
Collapse
Colony
Costume
Cradle
Delicacy
Espionage
Facade
Flood
Fresco(e)
Genius
Glass
Gondola
Italy
Lace
Lagoon
Library
Looted (no variations)
Luxury
Manuscript
Museum
Nativity
Occupation
Panorama
Peninsula
Phenomenon
Pizza
Pope
Prisoner
Proverb
Publisher
Roman
Secret
Sighs (must be plural)
Supper
Treasure Chest (must be together)
Uninhabited
Volunteer

message 2: by Jan, Moderator (last edited Dec 12, 2020 08:34AM) (new)

Jan | 14199 comments Participants

Book Concierge ~ Completed
Denise
Ed ~ Completed
Jan ~ Completed
Jonquil ~ Completed
Karen ~ Completed
Kathryn
Olivermagnus ~ Completed
Rosa
Tari

message 3: by Jan, Moderator (last edited Oct 21, 2020 09:59AM) (new)

Jan | 14199 comments My Spot

Italy Word Search
45/45

Words

Book Used: The Passengers by John Marrs
Collapse - Page 33 "watching him collapse on the kitchen floor"
Cradle - Page 154 "she cradled her stomach"
Glass - Page 49 "through the glass sliding doors"
Occupation - Page 178 "Sam's occupation"
Phenomenon - Page 85 "Celebs Against the Odds was a phenomenon"
Pizza - Page 108 "empty pizza boxes"
Pope - Page 203 "would turn the Pope to drink"
Roman - Page 48 "It's Roman influenced architecture"
Secret - Page 55 "verdict was also kept secret"
Uninhabited - Page 15 "uninhabited island ahead"

Book Used: Cartier's Hope by M.J. Rose
Bell - Page 219 "rang the bell"
Boot - Page 114 "kicked the snow with my boot"
Century - Page 72 "Virgil had lived in the first century BC"
Costume - Page 36 "her father was one of the top costume designers"
Facade - Page 119 "tiles covered the facade"
Genius - Page 316 "Cartier was a genius marketer"
Italy - Page 226 "the heart of Little Italy"
Lace - Page 302 "embroidered lace handkerchief
Library - Page 65 "spent hours in his library"
Manuscript - Page 288 "finding my six page manuscript"
Museum - Page 269 "donated it to the museum"
Prisoner - Page 134 "we are prisoners to our feelings"
Publisher - Page 95 "he knew all the publishers in the city"
Supper - Page 84 "take you to a late supper"
Volunteer - Page 62 "waiting for someone else to volunteer"

Book Used: The Road to Paradise (Vintage National Parks, #1) by Karen Barnett
Ash(es) - Page 231 "something sat atop the ashes"
Flood - Page 101 "flood of emotions"
Gondola - Page 170 "cables gondola delivering skiers"
Luxury - Page 134 "the finest luxury money can buy"
Panorama - Page 206 "Skyline Trail to Panorama Point"

Book Used: A Country Year Living the Questions by Sue Hubbell
Catholic - Page 74 "our family wasn't Catholic"
Colony - Page 21 "the colony would become a good honey producer"
Delicacy - Page 84 "exquisite delicacies and honey"
Lagoon - Page 141 "down by the sewage lagoon"
Peninsula - Page 2 "I live on a peninsula of land"

Book Used: The Long Way Home (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #10) by Louise Penny
Angels - Page 10 "all the saints and all the angels"
Sighs - Page 189 "He pointed to the river of sighs."

Book Used: Trouble in Nuala (The Inspector de Silva Mysteries #1) by Harriet Steel
Aristocrat - Page 176 "friendly smiles on their aristocratic faces"

Book Used: Four Seasons (Butterscotch Jones Mystery #9) by Melanie Jackson
Looted - Page 65 "surprised that it hasn't been looted"

Book Used: The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons
Proverb - Page 9 "an old Spanish proverb or something"

Book Used: Lowcountry Boneyard (Liz Talbot Mystery, #3) by Susan M. Boyer
Artisan - Page 254 "The artisans at FIG framed their work"

Book Used: The Apple Orchard (Bella Vista Chronicles #1) by Susan Wiggs
Treasure Chest - Page 40 "in search of a pirate treasure chest"

Book Used: Single Malt Murder (Whisky Business Mystery, #1) by Melinda Mullet
Espionage - Page 47 "everything from corporate espionage to a curse"

Book Used: Veiled Threat (Falcone & Driscoll Investigation, #3) by Alice Loweecey
Nativity - Page 167 "the nativity set in front of the tree"

Book Used: The Sweet Taste of Murder (Angel Lake Mystery #1) by CeeCee James
Fresco - Page 103 "a full fresco that spread out across the far wall"

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 28, 2020 02:57AM) (new)

I'm in!

42/46

Kissing Frogs by Rich Amooi (6/3/20)

Bell - Before she could talk herself out of it she went next door and rang the bell. (p 47)
Collapse - "They go home and collapse every night." (p 51)
Genius - "I have an idea that will either make me look like an idiot or a genius. (p 134)
Glass - A big plate of pasta and a glass of wine would really hit the spot. (p 22)
Museum - It would be a short ceremony at Cesar Chavez Park in downtown San Jose followed by a catered dinner across the street at the San Jose Tech Museum. (p 192)
Pizza - "Do you like pizza?" asked Ian. (p 53)
Pope - "The Pope?" (p 83)
Secret - "The chef's rub them down with their signature blend of seventeen secret spices and then smoke them until they are tender and bursting with flavor." (p 107)

Night at the Vulcan (Roderick Alleyn #16) by Ngaio Marsh (6/10/20)

Ash(es) - "I'm a shoulder-lenght natural ash-blonde and I've had to have an urchin cut and go black and all I get is insults. (p 108)
Boot - The doctor backed away into his chair and examinded an unlovely mess of chocolate and cardboard on the sole of his boot. (p 281)
Costume - "In costume." (p 11)
Delicacy - The mouth, in particular, was of a most subtle character, perfectly masculine but drawn with extreme delicacy. (p 22)
Phenomenon - "A phenomenon", he said, "that is not without its dim interest." (p 214)
Roman - For the greater part of the first act he was alone, having, as he had explained in the office, no masochistic itch to invite a guest to a Roman holiday where he himself was the major sacrifice. (p 155)
Supper - "I was 'avin' me bitter supper." (p 18)

Born a Crime Stories From a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah (6/16/20)

Angels (must be plural) - "I've got all of Heaven's angels behind me." (p 26)
catholic - At the time, I attended a private Catholic school called Maryvale College. (p 21)
Colony - As a former trading colony, South Africa has always had a large expatriate community. (p 44)
Cradle - He put his finger on the cradle and hung up the call. (p 377)
Facade - The other option is to toughen up, put upt this facade. (p 330)
Flood - Noah and the flood was obviously a favorite; I had a personal stake there. (p 15)
Library - My music library was gone. (p 324)
Luxury - Meat was a luxury. (p 117)
Prisoner - But seeing her hit with a bicycle, living like a prisoner in her own backyard, that was the final straw for me. (p 405)
Proverb - -Proverbs 22:15 (p 134)

A Will And A Way by Nora Roberts (6/19/20)

Aristocrat - The way a thin ring of gray outlined his irises, the straight, almost aristocratic line of his nose that had remained miraculously unbroken through countless firstfights. (p 131)
Century - He'd built it when he'd been forty, so the house was already over a half century old. (p 38)
Lace - "All you need is one of those slim little skirts that sweep the floor and a lace blouse with padded shoulders." (p 143)

Conventionally Yours (True Colors, #1) by Annabeth Albert (6/21/20)

Sighs (must be plural) - Conrad was driving, and he kept fiddling with the stereo while making frustrated sighs at the line of cars in front of us. (p 403)
Volunteer - It was on the tip of my tongue to volunteer my own couch, which didn't see very many visitors but was acceptably long enough for overly tall persons like Conrad, but then his face shifted from sheepish to something closer to one of his old sneers. (p 264)

The Book That Made Me A Collection of 32 Personal Stories by Judith Ridge (6/25/20)

Publisher -My first rejection letter from a publisher soon followed. (p 42)
Manuscript - By that stage, the manuscript bore little resemblance to the story I had started in Year Six. (p 43)

The Bloody British A Well-Meaning Guide to an Awkward Nation by Paul Hawkins (6/30/20)

Artisan - Unfortunately, all hairdressers in the known universe interpret this kind of reckless politeness as the grand trumpet call of destiny, summoning them to unleash their inner artisan from the ancient shackles of Beauty School. (loc 471)
Espionage - Between 2016 and 2017 (when this book was first written, then published in Germany), I would become a kind of double-agent of toilet book-based espionage, working for the place I lived against the place I was from, exposing the cultural weaknesses, adorable shortcomings and amusing blind-spots of Britishness for all to see. (loc 229)
Italy - "Romeo and Juliet is set in Italy, right?" (loc 1229)

Murder Takes a Holiday Classic Crime Stories for Summer by Various (7/16/20)

Looted (no variations) - Two days after the murder, a notorious young thug called Miller was run over and killed by a lorry on the by-pass road, and in his pocked were found several small pieces of jewellery looted from Mrs Whittington's bedroom at the time of her death. (p 228)
Peninsula - Thus it was in the early spring of that year we found ourselves together in a small cottage near Poldhu Bay, at the further extremity of the Cornish peninsula. (p 11)

The Heist (Fox and O'Hare, #1) by Janet Evanovich (7/28/20)

Occupation - They ate the pig and Griffin told stories about Indonesia's history, the wars fought over control fo the spice trade, and the difficulties during the Dutch occupation of the islands. (p 290)

The Case of the Murdered Mackenzie (The Masao Masuto Mysteries Book 7) by Howard Fast (7/31/20)

Uninhabited - "He could sail out to one of those uninhabited islands off the Santa Barbara channel and really go to earth." (p 249)

Untamed by Glennon Doyle (8/7/20)

Nativity - I am ten years old, and I'm sitting in a small room in the back of Nativity Catholic Church with twenty other kids. (p 20)

Secrets at the Beach House by Diane Chamberlain (8/8/20)

Lagoon - "She found a great house on a lagoon in Point Pleasant, but when it came time for her to move into it... well, I bet you can guess what happened." (p 30)

The Bee A Natural History by Noah Wilson-Rich (8/28/20)

Fresco(e) - A fresco from the Tomb of Pasaba in Luxor, Egypt, showing a pillar of the hypaethral court and depiciting a scene of beekeeping. (p 38)

Words

Gondola
Panorama

Carry-Over Scotland:

Necropolis

message 5: by Tari (last edited Aug 29, 2020 07:50AM) (new)

Tari (thann) | 573 comments Italy Word Search

44/45

Artisan-Death on Windmill Way Carrie Doyle 7/2/20 (artisanal) "...the quintessential artisanal cheese shop."
Angels (must be plural)-Picture Perfect Murder Jenna St. James 6/7/20 p 53 "...before Charlie's Angels was even a thing."
Aristocrat-A Muddied Murder Wendy Tyson 6/3/20 p 48 "...some English aristocrat Megan had never heard of."
Ash(es)-How to Bake a Murder K.J. Emrick 6/2/20 p 185 "It burned to ash where it fell."
Bell-How to Bake a Murder K.J. Emrick 6/2/20 p 18 "...not enough to set off the shopkeeper's bell..."
Boot-No Filter Heather Day Gilbert 6/1/20 p 9 "...apparently made some lifelong customers, to boot."
Catholic-Bear Witness to Murder Meg Macy 6/4/20 loc 3052 "...her parents are strict. Greek and Catholic."
Century-A Muddied Murder Wendy Tyson 6/3/20 p 99 "...fashion of the eighteenth century."
Collapse-How to Bake a Murder K.J. Emrick 6/2/20 p 63 "...I don't think I'd collapse."
Colony-No Filter Heather Day Gilbert 6/1/20 p 103 "...one of the art colony shops..."
Costume-A Muddied Murder Wendy Tyson 6/3/20 p 199 "...rules and costume requirements..."
Cradle-A Muddied Murder Wendy Tyson 6/3/20 p 9 "...her truck striving to cradle the..."
Delicacy-No Filter Heather Day Gilbert 6/1/20 p 102 "...looking at some rare delicacy."
Espionage-Booked for Death Victoria Gilbert 6/21/20 (they loved this word, it appeared 4 times lol) loc 3139 "...they were afraid she'd get restless and engage in a little espionage on her own."
Facade(s) (pl)-A Muddied Murder Wendy Tyson 6/3/20 p 10 "...between the crumbling facades of centuries-old buildings..."
Flood-No Filter Heather Day Gilbert 6/1/20 p 6 "...died in a creek flood."
Fresco(e)-A Beach House to Die For K.C. Ames 8/29/20 p. 13 “…Benny ordered a fresco de cas.”
Genius-A Muddied Murder Wendy Tyson 6/3/20 p 252 "The man was a genius..."
Glass-No Filter Heather Day Gilbert 6/1/20 p 1 "...set my nearly empty glass down..."
Gondola-One Fete in the Grave Vickie Fee 7/20/20 loc 1287 "...work on sourcing a gondola for Mama's wedding."
Italy-No Filter Heather Day Gilbert 6/1/20 p 14 "...she'd never seen a more beautiful coffee, even in Italy."
Lace-A Muddied Murder Wendy Tyson 6/3/20 p 51 "...the tray of lace cookies..."
Lagoon-Killer Cruise A.R. Winters 6/6/20 loc 2101 "...tell him I was heading to the lagoon pool."
Library-No Filter Heather Day Gilbert 6/1/20 p 10 "The library had donated..."
Looted (no variations)
Luxury-How to Bake a Murder K.J. Emrick 6/2/20 p 64 "The mayor drove a high-end luxury sedan."
Manuscript-Thyme to Kill Tegan Maher 6/5/20 loc 1104 "...get some work done on my manuscript..."
Museum-A Muddied Murder Wendy Tyson 6/3/20 p 215 "...he wanted to open a museum."
Nativity-A Muddied Murder Wendy Tyson 6/3/20 p 117 "...that tiny nativity scene..."
Occupation-One Woman's Junk JB Lynn 6/14/20 p 61 "...made it sound like it was the most despicable occupation in the land."
Panorama (found panoramic) Cooks, Crooks and Cruises A.R. Winters 7/10/20 loc 2101 "I took a panoramic shot of the pool area..."
Peninsula-Yeast of Eden Sarah Fox 7/13/20 loc 282 "I don't think he can ever move back to the peninsula, though."
Phenomenon-found phenomena, Jan okayed-One Woman's Junk JB Lynn 6/14/20 p 192 “It’s a relatively new phenomena for me.”
Pizza-How to Bake a Murder K.J. Emrick 6/2/20 p 161 "Lots of take-out pizza boxes."
Pope-Uncle and Ants Marc Jedel 6/16/20 p 83 "Daniel Pope finally responded to my text."
Prisoner-How to Bake a Murder K.J. Emrick 6/2/20 p 48 "You're my guest, not my prisoner."
Proverb-Uncle and Ants Marc Jedel 6/16/20 p 61 "My dad liked the old proverb..."
Publisher(s)-Booked for Death Victoria Gilbert 6/21/20 loc 906 "...his real name was common knowledge among editors and publishers."
Roman(s)-Killer Souffles and Cliches Mel McCoy 6/13/20 loc 836 "The Romans believed the vein in that particular finger..."
Secret-No Filter Heather Day Gilbert 6/1/20 p 127 "Perhaps a secret meeting..."
Sighs (must be plural)-How to Bake a Murder K.J. Emrick 6/2/20 p 53 "There had been eye rolls and long sighs..."
Supper-No Filter Heather Day Gilbert 6/1/20 p 45 "migraine that had been threatening since supper..."
Treasure Chest (must be together)-Murder at the Falls Arlene Kay 7/18/20 loc. 1614 "We called it her treasure chest..."
Uninhabited-A Killer Read Erika Chase 7/21/20 p 227 "...this riverside vista would remain the same, and wild."
Volunteer-No Filter Heather Day Gilbert 6/1/20 p 19 "...if she was a volunteer at the shelter."

message 6: by Kathryn (last edited Aug 31, 2020 03:02PM) (new)

Kathryn (an80slady6886) | 541 comments Italy Word Search
38/45

I Wish My Teacher Knew How One Question Can Change Everything for Our Kids by Kyle Schwartz Kyle Schwartz 8/25/20 ***

disastrous Loc 1880 Pessimism is an entrenched habit of mind that has sweeping and DISASTROUS consequences

Too Much and Never Enough How My Family Created the World's Most Dangerous Man by Mary L. Trump Mary L. Trump 8/22/20 ***
Fresco(e) p 162 Everything was marble, gold leaf, mirrored walls, white walls, and FRESCOES.

The Inn at Hidden Run (Tree of Life #1) by Olivia Newport Olivia Newport 6/4/20 ***
Bell Location1969seen in the morning the BELLS began to ring
Boot Location 3227 Sure if I get my BOOTS fixed.
Collapse Location 1090 Nia COLLAPSED into her desk chair
Costume Location 2848dresed in period mining COSTUME
Cradle Location 198 Jillian returned the phone to the CRADLE.
Delicacy p. p. 52 the way she consumed her chosen DELICACIES
Flood p. 146 the endorphins FLOODING her brain at the thought
Glass p, 151 Children and adults huddled against the GLASS
Library p.75 the LIBRARY with its floor to ceiling shelves
Museum p. 175 but documents in the local heritage MUSEUM revealed it
Occupation p. 174 at least, the way she practiced her OCCUPATION
Secret p.31 We’re going to need two of your SECRET specials
Supper p. 131 in your room at the Inn right after SUPPER
Volunteer Location 304 a young woman he recognized as an occasional VOLUNTEER

No Angel My Harrowing Undercover Journey to the Inner Circle of the Hells Angels by Jay Dobyns Jay Dobyns 6/11/20 ***
Century p 100 dresses that looked like nineteenth CENTURY kitchen props
Pizza p. 5 JJ, Timmy, and I chowed at a PIZZA Hut

Coming Home (Chesapeake Diaries #1) by Mariah Stewart Mariah Stewart 6/12/20 ****
Italy p 32 I still need something to wear for sightseeing in ITALY
Lace p. 36 LACE, satin, satin and LACE, chiffon—there were gowns for all seasons
Luxury p 233 Vanessa pulled into the lot and stopped behind a gorgeous black xc sedan.
Prisoner p 201 He’s still in PRISON.

Breakfast at the Honey Creek Café (Honey Creek, #1) by Jodi Thomas Jodi Thomas 6/14/20 **
Angels (must be plural) Location 2150 I don’t know if they’re ANGELS or devils.
Genius p. 60 wouldn’t go over 50 since, bikr GRNIUS that I am

My Vanishing Country by Bakari Sellers Bakari Sellers 6/18/20 ****
Proverb I’m a product of the PROVERB, “it takes a village to raise a child”

Ghost of Sangju by Soojung Jo Soojung Jo 6/20/20 **
Façade p 46 I’m a complicated mess of repressed emotional hysterics under a FAÇADE of stoicism that came from years of holding myself in.

I Can Make This Promise by Christine Day Christine Day 6/23/20 ****
Ash(es) p, 134 Vials are filled with ASH from the Mt. St. Helen’s eruption
Roman p.11 I know we want some sparkle, some ROMAN candles.
Sighs (must be plural) p 28 Amelia SIGHS and lifts herself up onto her elbows

An American Princess The Many Lives of Allene Tew by Annejet van der Zijl Annejet van der Zijl 6/25/20 ***
Aristocrat p 55 as many Russian and European ARISTOCRATS had traditionally done.
Colony P. 28 when America was still a British COLONY
Peninsula p 172 she rented a house on the farthest tip of the Newport PENINSULA, surrounded on three sides by the Atlantic Ocean.
Phenomenon p 11 It was clear that Allene would remain an only child—an unusual PHENOMENON in a prolific clan like the Tews.
Pope p 172 n 1927, the famous architect John Russell POPE built a summerhouse for himself and his family near Edith Wharton’s former home Land’s End..

[bookover:Still Waters|25365325] Viveca Sten 6/29/20 ***
Panorama p. 288 the view through the PANORAMA window was astonishing.

Cowboy Strong Stacy Finz 7/2/20 ***
Catholic p.56 Olga Watson, Bobby’s mom, grew up CATHOLIC but converted when she married

Hello, Summer Mary Kay Andrews 7/12/20 ***Publisher p.22 Grayson is the PUBLISHER and managing editor of the Beacon

Tanglewood Plantation Jocelyn Miller 7/12/20 *****Uninhabited p 28 A straw broom leaned in a corner, the only reminder that the cabin was once INHABITED

The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds
Selina Siak Chin Yoke 7/24/20 ****
Manuscript p 458 My agent, Thomas Colchie, and his wife, Elaine, were the first people in the publishing world who were excited by my MANUSCRIPT

Words
Artisan
Espionage
Gondola
Lagoon
Looted (no variations)
Nativity

message 7: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 14199 comments Have fun hunting Rosa, Tari & Kathryn!

message 8: by Denise (last edited Sep 01, 2020 12:39PM) (new)

Denise | 2573 comments Italy Word Search

44/45- of course, I found the word in a book reading on 9.1.20 but not finished the book yet

Words

Artisan - “his mother had made at the Yook Fun artisan shop many years ago” p. 236 Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford 6.5.20

Angels (must be plural) “your mother has gone to the angels” Chapter 1 – 20 min audiobook The Huntress by Kate Quinn 6.14.20

Aristocrat - “An aristocrat, maybe” p. 80 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Ash(es) - “I had stoked the ashes in the stove” p. 49 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Bell - “lady on a bicycle who rang her bell furiously at me” p. 146 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Boot - “Putting his boot on the seat beside me” p. 12 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Catholic - “I was not a Catholic until I became a prisoner” p. 205 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Century- “In the fifteenth century when the house was built…” p. 71 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Collapse - “collapse of my father’s business” p. 52 The End of the Wasp Season by Denise Mina 6.7.20

Colony - “A villa colony with a steeplechase course” p. 38A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Costume - “ooh and aah over the costume jewelry” p. 140 Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford 6.5.20

Cradle-“he replaced the receiver in its cradle” p. 108 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Delicacy - “confidence combined with artistic delicacy” p. 136 In the Wake of the Plague: The Black Death and the World It Made by Norman Cantor 6.20.20

Espionage - “hide equipment connected to his espionage activities in his suitcase.” P. 53 The Shadow Killer by Arnaldur Indridason 6.12.20

Facade - “there was a certain austerity of detail about the façade” p. 218 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Flood - letting her impressions of before flood aimlessly in” p. 189 The End of the Wasp Season by Denise Mina 6.7.20

Fresco(e) - “adorned a sixteenth century Italian fresco” p. 91 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Genius- “Aristotle was an overachieving genius” p. 198 In the Wake of the Plague: The Black Death and the World It Made by Norman Cantor 6.20.20

Glass - “We’ve had some new glass… “ p. 5 A German Requiem by Philip kerr 6.3.20

Gondola “yanking Ian into the gondola” Chapter 17 9 minutes audiobook The Huntress by Kate Quinn 6.13.20

Italy - “its easy to get across the border into Italy” p. 280 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Lace - “She was like a fine lace handkerchief” p. 74 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Lagoon

Library - “its such a pity the library is gone” p.181 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Looted (no variations) “Cyrilic word ‘Atak’ivat (searched) which really meant ‘looted’” p. 128 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Luxury - “hot water – an unaccustomed luxury” p. 72 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Manuscript - “generous praise of an early manuscript” p. 289 Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford 6.5.20

Museum - “My voice echoed up the ruined museum” p. 95 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Nativity - “like Mary in the nativity” p. 379 The End of the Wasp Season by Denise Mina 6.7.20

Occupation - “with no reason to do with their occupation of the city” p. 50 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Panorama - “panorama of the City of London came into view” p. 87 In Farleigh Field by Rhys Bowen 6.25.20

Peninsula “in the Iberian peninsula” p. 34 In the Wake of the Plague: The Black Death and the World It Made by Norman Cantor 6.20.20

Phenomenon - “real estate and inflation was as well known a phenomenon in the Middle Ages…” p. 77 In the Wake of the Plague: The Black Death and the World It Made by Norman Cantor 6.20.20

Pizza - “Cheap mini pizzas” p. 129 The End of the Wasp Season by Denise Mina 6.7.20

Pope - “Kings and knights, Emperors and Popes” p. 6 In the Wake of the Plague: The Black Death and the World It Made by Norman Cantor 6.20.20

Prisoner - “as a Soviet prisoner or war I had eaten enough of it smeared on coarse black bread” p. 109 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Proverb - “The old proverb ran “in vino veritas” p. 182 The Ivory Dagger by Patricia Wentworth 6.8.20

Publisher -Publisher “Henry rolled past the Rodo-Sha publisher” p. 97 Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford 6.5.20

Roman - There had been a Roman Villa there” p. 64 The Ivory Dagger by Patricia Wentworth 6.8.20

Secret - “They’ve got more secrets than the surface of Mars.” P.109 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Sighs (must be plural) - “the sighs of disappointment were audible” p. 25 The Sisters Weiss by Naomi Ragen 8.18.20

Supper - “instructed the Latvian to bring me supper” p. 191 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Treasure Chest (must be together) - “As for the treasure chest, it might be best if we took it with us” p. 278 Dark Serpent by Paul Doherty 8.29.20

Uninhabited - “smell of an uninhabited house” p. 182 Hunting Game by Helene Tursten 8.14.20

Volunteer - “I’m going to leave with the volunteers when the five-thirty whistle blows” p. 232 Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford 6.5.20

Carry-over
Travel Search #2

casino - “she is a croupier at the Casino Oriental “ p 140 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

farmer's market - “Pick up some fresh veggies from the farmer’s market?” p. 370 I Always Wanted to be a SpyJudith A. Barrett 7.5.20

rainforest

road trip - “took a road trip with Blagden…” p. 6NeuroTribes: The Legacy of Autism and the Future of Neurodiversity by Steve Silberman 7.31.20

Russia - Stroganoff

message 9: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 14199 comments Welcome Denise!

message 10: by Olivermagnus (last edited Aug 29, 2020 05:32AM) (new)

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 699 comments Italy Word Search
of 45 Complete

Words

Quietly in Their Sleep - Donna Leon - 8/7/20 - (19)
🌷Aristocrat - page 129 - "He studied her face, the dark eyes bright with intelligence, the thin nose that bespoke either the aristocrat or the asetic"
🌷 Bell - page 49 - "Brunetti pressed the bell"
🌷 Boot - page 234 - "He bent and reached out to shove it with the toe of his heavy boot, hoping to dislodge it
🌷 Catholic - page 169 - "Opus Dei was dedicated to recapturing, or so it would seem, political domination for the Catholic Church"
🌷 Century - page 212 - "Brunetti saw Padre Pio advancing toward him, his tall form enveloped in a dark woolen cape that fastened at the neck by a clasp made eighteenth century Austrian Maria Teresa Thaler".
🌷 Collapse - page 134 - "She's not a plaster saint who will collapse at the first sight of impropriety or misbehavior"
🌷 Delicacy - page 188 - "Brunetti noted the delicacy with which Vianello avoided naming the time, midnight, when he would relieve the other younger officer"
🌷 Facade - page 213 - "He looked at the scaffolding that covered the front of the basilica and saw that the shadows had crawled halfway up the facade"
🌷 Glass - page 34 - "He had a piece of proscuitto wrapped around a thin breadstick and a glass of chardonnay to wash away the salty taste of meat".
🌷 Gondola - page 47 - "When the boat pulled up at the gondola stop Vianello grabbed the end of a coiled rope and leaped onto the dock".
🌷 Italy - page 114 - "There's lots of cities in Italy"
🌷 Lace - page 170 - "Fruit dealers closed, shoemakers went out of business and all seemed transformed into masks, machine made lace, and plastic gondolas"
🌷 Library - page 167 - "Brunetti decided to spend the rest of his afternoon in the Marciana library"
🌷 Occupation - page 236 - "Doctor Litfin had survived the Russian occupation of Berlin"
🌷 Pope - page 184 - "Nor did they have a Pope who praised them for their sacredmission".
🌷Prisoner - page 111 - "Stefania's father had been a prisoner of war in Germany for three years"
🌷 Roman - page 31 - " If it's one one I'm thinking of, the wife's a Roman, but the dog's an Afhgan"
🌷 Secret - page 116 - "She was prepared to forgive his provocative remarks about secret Swiss bank accounts"
🌷 Supper - page 20 - "She and her husband invited me to go back to their home with them for supper".

Dead Irish - John Lescroart - 6/20/20 - (7)
🌷 Angels (must be plural) - page 332 - "My wife says it's angels passing"
🌷 Flood - page 32 - "It came back to him in a flood"
🌷 Genius - page 125 - "That's cause you're a genius, Diz"
🌷 Museum - page 122 - "Making Frannie feel better by taking her to lunch or a museum or a park"
🌷 Peninsula - page 144 - "He hadn't been down the peninsula in nearly a year"
🌷 Publisher - page 163 - "They lived quietly, at home, a publisher and his employee, private lives discretely handled"
🌷 Volunteer - page 117 - "Volunteer work at St. Mary's Hospital"

Rise of the Isle of the Lost - Melissa de la Cruz - 7/4/2020 - (2)
🌷 Ash(es) - page 252 - "There it was, rising, like a phoenix from the ashes".
🌷 Lagoon - page 210 - "He could not even make out the far side of the lagoon".

The Isle of the Lost - Melissa de la Cruz - 6/19/20 - (1)
🌷 Treasure Chest (must be together) - - page 314 - "They walked together, Jay straining under the weight of the treasure chest and the carriage full of treats".

Hollywood Dirt - Alessandra Torre - 6/14/20 - (3)
🌷 Cradle - page 199 - "He hung the phone on its cradle".
🌷 Luxury - page 84 - "He should leave this dust filled sauna and return to his city of clean hands, cool air, and luxury".
🌷 Pizza - page 415 - There had been long deliberation last night, their brains fueled by Summer's fruit pizza and margaritas, over Ben and Justin's bag people identities".

Hell's Corner - David Baldacci - 6/20/20 - (1)
🌷 Espionage - page 7 - "You understand the trenches of espionage better than most people in the executive offices at Langley"

A Breath of Snow and Ashes - Diana Gabaldon - 7/11/20 - (1)
🌷 Colony - page 29 - "He's charged me to travel about about, over the western part of the colony, and keep an ear to the ground"

High Country - Nevada Barr - 6/24/20 - (1)
🌷 Looted (no variations) - page 22 - "Dixon's storage boxes and cook area had been looted".

The Bees - Laline Paull - 6/25/20 - (1)
🌷 Fresco(e) - page 183 - "Now she saw it all again, the curved, vaulted ceiling of the Dance Hall with it's frescoes of flowers and leaves carved into the ancient wax panels"

Heaven, My Home - Attica Locke - 7/5/20 - (1)
🌷 Nativity - page 76 - "Hopetown had been a self contained community with a church and a school and a meeting hall where they held nativity plays and elections"

The Interior - Lisa See - 6/27/20 - (4)
🌷 Panorama - page 127 - "The view presented a panorama of Beijing"
🌷 Proverb - page 274 - "Do you know the old proverb, he who has a mind to beat his dog will easily find a stick"
🌷 Phenomenon - page 27 - "It's a phenomenon".
🌷 Sighs (must be plural) - page 48 - "Soon the high pitched announcements were replaced by the gentle sighs of the sleeping men and the soothing pulse of the train moving along the track"

The Rise of Magicks - Nora Roberts - 8/28/20 - (1)
🌷 Uninhabited - page 146 - "It's forest, mostly uninhabited".

Eight Perfect Murders - Peter Swanson - 6/28/20 - (1)
🌷 Manuscript - page 204 - "Anyway, I told him to submit the manuscript or I'd look for another agent"

The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat - Edward Kelsey Moore - 7/24/20 - (2)
🌷 Artisan - page 218 - "She was wearing a pair of Birkenstock sandals that she had purchased a few days earlier at a shop near the campus where young saleswomen who didn't shave their armpits or wear makeup sold comfortable shoes and artisan cheeses".
🌷 Costume - page 40 - "Minnie's costume of the day was a deep purple robe decorated with the same astrological signs that adorned her corner table".

message 11: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 14199 comments Good luck Lynda!

message 12: by Book Concierge (last edited Nov 05, 2020 10:32AM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1457 comments ITALY Word Search
Begins: 01June20 / Ends: 31Aug20

45 / 45 words found
17 books read
Finders Keepers (Bill Hodges Trilogy, #2) by Stephen King Get Shorty (Chili Palmer, #1) by Elmore Leonard French Pressed (Coffeehouse Mystery, #6) by Cleo Coyle Rise & Shine, Benedict Stone by Phaedra Patrick To The Bright Edge of the World by Eowyn Ivey The Bookish Life of Nina Hill by Abbi Waxman Work Song by Ivan Doig Something Fresh (Blandings Castle, #1) by P.G. Wodehouse Be Frank With Me by Julia Claiborne Johnson Long Road to Mercy (Atlee Pine, #1) by David Baldacci A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson Fair and Tender Ladies by Lee Smith The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead Presumed Innocent (Kindle County, #1) by Scott Turow Ella Minnow Pea A Novel in Letters by Mark Dunn Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman

Artisan - French Pressed ✔ – 09June2020 - pg 7 - "…from a local street artisan."

Angels - To The Bright Edge of the World ✔ – 18June20 - pg 203 - "…looked to his angels and…"

Aristocrat - Something Fresh ✔ – 02July2020 - pg 65 - "…Proud Old English Aristocrat and…"

Ash(es) - To The Bright Edge of the World ✔ – 18June20 - pg 33 - "…waxwings in the ash tree."

Bell - Be Frank With Me ✔ – 10July2020 - pg 11 - "…could ring the bell and demanded…"

Boot - To The Bright Edge of the World ✔ – 18June20 - pg 30 - "…have dried our boots, and…"

Catholic - The Bookish Life of Nina Hill ✔ – 18June2020 - pg 192 - "…enter a Catholic seminary…"

Century - To The Bright Edge of the World ✔ – 18June20 - pg 209 - "In a century, really, it went…"

Collapse - To The Bright Edge of the World ✔ – 18June20 - pg 376 - "…expected me to collapse into…"

Colony - A Short History of Nearly Everything ✔ – 18July2020 - pg 103 - "…in the colonies he unwisely sided…"

Costume - Get Shorty ✔ – 08June2020 - pg 202 - "…around in period costumes and…"

Cradle - Finders Keepers ✔ – 05June2020 - pg 259 - "…trunk in its cradle of roots."

Delicacy - To The Bright Edge of the World ✔ – 18June20 - pg 365 - "…weeks, it was a dellicacy indeed."

Espionage - Long Road to Mercy ✔ – 17July2020 - pg 257 - "…where espionage takes place."

Facade - Ayesha at Last ✔ – 23June2020 - pg 251 - "Something about a façade."

Flood - Be Frank With Me ✔ – 10July2020 - pg 274 - "Traffic. Flash floods. Mudslides."

Fresco(e) - Work Song ✔ – 29June2020 - pg 153 - "The ceiling became a fresco of…"

Genius - To The Bright Edge of the World ✔ – 18June20 - pg 409 - "…there is a rare genius to …"

Glass - To The Bright Edge of the World ✔ – 18June20 - pg 8 - "He polishes the glass pyramid…"

Gondola - Fortunately, the Milk ✔ – 03Oct2020 - pg 38 - "…into the balloon's gondola and…"

Italy - A Short History of Nearly Everything ✔ – 18July2020 - pg 195 - "…unfolding in Italy with the…"

Lace - French Pressed ✔ – 09June2020 - pg 114 - "…my sheer lace-edged blouse…"

Lagoon - Ella Minnow Pea ✔ – 08Sept2020 - pg 148 - "…met in the north lagoon will…"

Library - To The Bright Edge of the World ✔ – 18June20 - pg 51 - "…the Sommerton library here with…"

Looted - Presumed Innocent ✔ – 08Aug2020 - pg 230 - "If I looted Barbara's trust…"

Luxury - Be Frank With Me ✔ – 10July2020 - pg 231 - "…English luxury sedan that tooled…"

Manuscript - Be Frank With Me ✔ – 10July2020 - pg 7 - "…unsolicited manuscripts and had…"

Museum - To The Bright Edge of the World ✔ – 18June20 - pg 44 - "…one of the larger museums in…"

Nativity - The Nickel Boys ✔ – 07Aug2020 - pg 116 -"…sleigh, the Nativity diorama…"

Occupation - The Bookish Life of Nina Hill ✔ – 18June2020 - pg 199 - "…hardly a full-time occupation."

Panorama - Work Song ✔ – 29June2020 - pg 163 - "This panorama was like…"

Peninsula - [[book:A Short History of Nearly Everything|76799] ✔ – 18July2020 - pg 215 - "…on Russia's Kola Peninsula, near…"

Phenomenon - A Short History of Nearly Everything ✔ – 18July2020 - pg 241 - "…a dreaded phenomenon known as…"

Pizza - French Pressed ✔ – 09June2020 - pg 81 - "Let's call for a pizza."

Pope - Something Fresh ✔ – 02July2020 - pg 94 - "Shakespeare and Pope have both…"

Prisoner - Be Frank With Me ✔ – 10July2020 - pg 183 - "...holding you a prisoner here…"

Proverb - Fair and Tender Ladies ✔ - 26July20 - pg 260 - "…has said in Proverbs 16:5, …"

Publisher - Be Frank With Me ✔ – 10July2020 - pg 9 - "The publisher had decided the…"

Roman - To The Bright Edge of the World ✔ – 18June20 - pg 383 - "…crowds, roman candles, and…"

Secret - To The Bright Edge of the World ✔ – 18June20 - pg 64 - "…had guessed my secret."

Sighs - Finders Keepers ✔ – 05June2020 - pg 347 - "She sighs. Although…"

Supper - Rise & Shine, Benedict Stone ✔ – 14June20 - pg 158 - "…making toast for supper."

Treasure Chest - Rise & Shine, Benedict Stone ✔ – 14June20 - pg 69 - "It looks like a treasure chest."

Uninhabited - Long Road to Mercy ✔ – 17July2020 - pg 48 - "…of an uninhabited planet."

Volunteer - To The Bright Edge of the World ✔ – 18June20 - pg 44 - "…relying almost entirely on volunteers."

message 13: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 14199 comments Welcome BC :)

message 14: by Ed (last edited Mar 11, 2021 02:30PM) (new)

Ed Lehman | 491 comments *****COMPLETED 12/11/20*****

Italy Word Search
100p. min

45/45

✔Artisan-p.54- Life Being the Best Other Stories-"'Blessed is the artisan' said the poster..." 6/5/20
✔Angels (must be plural)-loc. 41665 of Kindle edition of The Holy Bible: English Standard Version-"...they had even seen a vision of angels, who said that he was alive." 6/1/20
✔Aristocrat-p.397- The Guermantes Way-"...dance-obsessed sons of these same young aristocrats..."
✔Ash(es)-p.27- Dresden, Gate-"He scattered ash among the natural dust." 6/2/20
✔Bell-p.623- The Small House at Allington-"And Bell wouldn't care a bit..." 6/3/20
✔Boot-p.637-The Small House at Allington-"Can you tell me how soon I shall have a new pair of Balmoral boots..." 6/3/20
✔Catholic -p.201- The Toughest Indian in the World-"In the hospital, his mother brought in a Catholic priest to baptize him." 6/3/20
✔Century-p.126-Life Being the Best Other Stories-"Maybe he hadn't seen Arthur for a century..." 6/6/20
✔Collapse-p.70- The Public Image-"It was only that I thought you looked really ill, in a state of collapse..." 6/4/20
✔Colony-p.53- Life Being the Best Other Stories-story title- "Art Colony" 6/5/20
✔Costume-p.33- Waverley, or 'tis Sixty Years Since, Vol. 1 of 2: Waverly Novels-"Nor could a lover of the picturesque have challenged either the elegance of their costume or the symmetry of their shape..." 6/11/20
✔Cradle-p104-Life Being the Best Other Stories-"The sight of the strange young man standing there made the three cradles of the German girls' voices upset." 6/6/20
✔Delicacy-p.50-Life Being the Best Other Stories-"...I have too much regard for the delicacy of your taste..." 6/5/20
✔Espionage-p.29- The Man Who Died-"Not before you'd conducted a spot of industrial espionage." 10/13/20
✔Facade-p.99- Muddling through in Madagascar-"...its porch-like facade offered shelter from the probable nocturnal downpour..." 6/6/20
✔Flood-p.100- Muddling through in Madagascar-"...all our batteries had been victims of the tent flood..." 6/6/20
✔Fresco(e)-p.54- Live and Let Die-"...I see myself sometimes as one of those great Egyptian fresco painters..." 6/3/20
✔Genius-p.275- The Guermantes Way-"...his family would have called me his evil genius..." 6/15/20
✔Glass-p.28- Dresden, Gate-"...windows paned with old blue glass, old as the crumbling..." 6/2/20
✔Gondola-p.557- In Dubious Battle-"...black iron gondolas and round tank cars." 11/25/20
✔Italy-p.23- Life Being the Best Other Stories-"Oh, Italy, my fairest dove, your wings shallrise again!" 6/4/20
✔Lace-p.22- The Drag Queen of Elfland-"They were bursting with...silver gauzes and veils and lace and frills." 6/4/20
✔Lagoon -loc. 1013 of Kindle edition of Life on a Coral Atoll: Australia's Cocos (Keeling) Islands-"...if you dived down on the western, or lagoon side of the island..." 6/16/20
✔Library -p.104- The Public Image-"Lamont remans at the library door." 6/4/20
✔Looted (no variations)-p.47- Tales of liechtenstein Then and Now-"The Swiss army looted the castle..." 6/19/20
✔Luxury-p.210- The Guermantes Way-"...they oughtn't to surround themselves with such luxuries." 6/12/20
✔Manuscript-p.109-The Public Image-"He took the manuscript from the floor..." 6/4/20
✔Museum-p.196- The Guermantes Way-"...an endless catalogue of every picture in the British Museum." 6/6/20
✔Nativity-p.40- Just Kids-"...I rescued a tiny Nativity lamb from a waste bin." 6/24/20
✔Occupation-p.70- Life Being the Best Other Stories-"...it left no time for womanly occupations..."6/6/20
✔Panorama-p.48- 2001: A Space Odyssey-"...under a dim light watching the moving panorama of the stars." 9/24/20
✔Peninsula-p.94- Hammerhead Ranch Motel-"They took a bridge to the mainland and drove across the Pinellas Peninsula." 6/9/20
✔Phenomenon-p.69- A Bookshop in Berlin: The Rediscovered Memoir of One Woman's Harrowing Escape from the Nazis-"I witnessed a very striking example of this phenomenon myself." 6/13/20
✔Pizza-p.71- This Town Sleeps-"What's that, like a buck and their leftover pizza?"-6/20/20
✔Pope-p.601-The Guermantes Way-"...a jewel offered by the Pope to a Catholic princess..." 6/6/20
✔Prisoner-p.319-The Thousand and One Nights, Commonly Called the Arabian Nights' Entertainments Volume I of III-"...and Hasan, who was their prisoner, kept saying..." 6/4/20
✔Proverb-p.101- Muddling through in Madagascar-"A Merina proverb advises: ' Do not arrive in a village after dark for you will be greeted only by dogs.'" 6/14/20
✔Publisher-p.26-A Bookshop in Berlin-"As this involved the interests of French publishers..." 6/4/20
✔Roman-p.183- The Toughest Indian in the World-"Roman slammed the fridge shut and walked outside..." 6/3/20
✔Secret-p.194- The Toughest Indian in the World-"They are very secret." 6/3/20
✔Sighs (must be plural)-p.340- Arabian Nights: The Marvels and Wonders of The Thousand and One Nights, Volume 1 of 2-"...and I saw a face that made me sgh a thousand sighs..." 6/15/20
✔Supper-p.25- Life Being the Best Other Stories-"What are you having for supper?" 6/4/20
✔Treasure Chest (must be together)-p.191- Orange Crush"He glanced at the fish tank and saw a tiny skeleton popping in and out of a bubbling treasure chest." 12/11/20
✔Uninhabited-p.165- Muddling through in Madagascar-"...only one vehicle regularly crosses a hundred thousand virtually uninhabited square mile..." 7/2/20
✔Volunteer-p.308- Barnaby Rudge-"...the uniform of a serjeant in the Royal East London Volunteers." 6/16/20

message 15: by Jonquil (last edited Jul 18, 2020 09:28AM) (new)

Jonquil | 359 comments Italy Word Search
June 1 - August 31, 2020

DONE

Fatal Cover-Up Lisa Harris 7/14
Proverb “Italian proverbs and funny stories” loc 1615
Glass “Glass doors opened ahead of them” loc 954

The Burglar in Short Order Lawrence Block 6/15
Colony “it’s an artists and writers colony” pg 13
Looted “Looted his own well-insured library” pg 73

Invisible Boy Cornelia Read 6/17
Nativity “wondered if she thought her impending nativity could possibly” Pg 342

A Killing by the Sea Kathleen Bridge 6/14
Lagoon “the lagoon was gray” pg 47
Treasure Chest “extracting a small treasure chest” pg 186
Uninhabited “off the small uninhabited island” pg 178

Guaranteed to Bleed Julie Mulhern 6/10
Gondola “holding hands in a gondola” loc 1703

Murder on Cape Cod Maddie Day 6/10
Peninsula “drive across the peninsula” loc 980

Escapes Can Be Murder Connie Shelton 6/8
Panorama “here to enjoy the panorama at my feet” loc 1863
Pope “Is the Pope Catholic?” loc 3342

Fashionably Dead Down Under Robyn Peterman
Angels “not all angels are good” loc 509
Fresco “Frescos painted on them” loc 805
Phenomenon “some kind of unnatural phenomenon” loc 1360

The Battle of Hackham Heath John Flanagan 6/5
Cradle “baby cradled now in both arms” pg 187
Espionage “intelligence gathering and, at times, espionage” pg 27

A Brush with Death Ali Carter 6/1
Manuscript “He must have handed in his manuscript” loc 4101
Occupation “combined with his previous occupation” loc 2297
Pizza “choose between lunch in McDonald’s or Pizza Hut” loc 3765

The Haunted Heist Angie Fox 6/3
Costume “he needs me to make him a costume” loc 2294
Facade “impressive red brick facades” loc 257

The Coloring Crook Krista Davis 6/4
Genius "the guy was a genius" p234

Southern Double Cross Caroline Fardig
Artisan "your artisan pimento cheese sandwich" pg 294

A Death of No Importance Mariah Fredericks 6/1
Aristocrat “The city had only recently stopped mourning the aristocratic Mrs. Astor” pg 2
Ash(es) “when she went to clean out the ash” pg 246
Bell “Hehan rang the bell.” pg 173 “The bells at a nearby church began to sound.” pg 221
Boot “the battered leather boots she had danced in earlier” pg 281
Catholic “Careful, I’m Roman Catholic.” pg 181
Century “landed on these shores at the end of the last century” Pg 13
Collapse “it bore the date of the mine collapse” pg 72
Delicacy “with delicacy, I reached out and tugged” pg 234
Flood “a drop in the great flood that landed on these shores” pg 13
Italy “Her family was from Italy.” pg 32
Lace “In her hands was a small lace handkerchief.” pg 228
Library “I thought perhaps she was in the library.” pg 65
Luxury “his life would have been wasted in luxury” pg 215
Museum “Flags were lowered at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.” pg 273
Prisoner “I had nothing I could pass to the prisoner” pg 208
Publisher “Publisher Otis calls the bombers ‘cowardly murderers’ and ‘anarchic scum’.” pg 35
Roman “the building had been inspired by the Pantheon in Rome; looking up at the massive Roman columns that lined the front of the building…” pg 180
Secret “But it’s a great secret.” pg 21
Sighs “throughway four stories above street level known as the Bridge of Sighs” pg 207
Supper “his cousin Phoebe’s slippers at a supper dance” pg 17
Volunteer “I volunteer at the Rivington Street Settlement House.” pg 213

message 16: by Karen (last edited Oct 13, 2020 06:51AM) (new)

Karen | 588 comments Count me in (with a couple of carry-overs).

Italy Word Search
Seasonal Adventures
June 1, 2020 - August 31, 2020 (or October 13, 2020!)
45/45

✔️ Artisan - The Catskills: Its History and How It Changed America pg 331; "...Byrdcliffe artisans followed the assembly-line methods..."
✔️ Angels - Lila pg 30; "The Reverand talked about angels and the notion..."
✔️ Aristocrat - The Catskills: Its History and How It Changed America pg 103; "...the aristocrat ensured that the success of the Clermont would lead to..."
✔️ Ash(es) - Lila pg 14; "We got some spuds in the ashes, ma'am."
✔️ Bell - Dragonwyck pg 23; "...a scissors-grinder man with his little bell."
✔️ Boot - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 1741; "...had leaked through my old leather boots...."
✔️ Catholic - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 98; "...fervent dedication to the Catholic faith..."
✔️ Century - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 17; "...in the middle of the last century,..."
✔️ Collapse - The Catskills: Its History and How It Changed America pg 227; "Eventually, the Silver Age began to collapse.
✔️ Colony - The Catskills: Its History and How It Changed America pg 157; "...men who petitioned King Charles to grant the colony its charter."
✔️ Costume - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 38; "Why are you wearing a costume?"
✔️ Cradle - Dragonwyck pg 9; "Only the baby, gurgling in her cradle..."
✔️ Delicacy - Dragonwyck pg 249; "...each syllable was accentuated with delicacy,..."
✔️ Espionage - The Girls of Atomic City: The Untold Story of the Women Who Helped Win World War II pg 71; "...in Axis espionage and sabotage activities..."
✔️ Facade - The Catskills: Its History and How It Changed America pg 251; "...which at least made the facade look fireproof."
✔️ Flood - Lila by Marilynne Robinson pg 108; "...where there had been flood or hail or grasshoppers..."
✔️fresco - The Map of Salt and Stars pg 116; "The frescoes were bright as crushed fruit...."
✔️ Genius - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 80; "...with a genius for making others look good."
✔️ Glass - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 64; "...and the curved glass bowl sitting on top..."
✔️ Gondola - Death in Venice pg 35; "...on the dock, and gondola and gondolier had vanished."
✔️ Italy - Dragonwyck pg 43; "traveling elegantly through England, France, Spain, Italy and Germany..."
✔️ Lace - The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend pg 323; "...mercifully free of frills and lace.
✔️ Lagoon - Blue Latitudes: Boldly Going Where Captain Cook Has Gone Before pg 81; "...we glided across a lagoon as placid as the sea..."
✔️ Library - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 22; "I went to the library yesterday..."
✔️ Looted - The Map of Salt and Stars pg 117; "…whether the place might have been looted after…"
✔️ Luxury - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 60; "...introducing luxury health food to wealthy..."
✔️ Manuscript - The Catskills: Its History and How It Changed America pg 162; "...plagiarized from one of Emerson's discarded manuscripts."
✔️ Museum - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 100; "Think of it like a museum,..."
✔️ Nativity - Lila by Marilynne Robinson pg 42; "...and as for thy nativity, in the day thou wast born..."
✔️ Occupation - The Catskills: Its History and How It Changed America pg 325; "...but so too were occupation, tax bracket, and geography,..."
✔️ Panorama - The Catskills: Its History and How It Changed America pg 110; "...as if they were all part of one large panorama."
✔️ Peninsula - Becoming pg 26; "...along Lake Michigan to the fenced off peninsula where..."
✔️ Phenomenon - The Catskills: Its History and How It Changed America pg 250; "...probably best illustrates the phenomenon that went on."
✔️ Pizza - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 77; "...took the kids out for pizza,..."
✔️ Pope - Exemplary Stories pg 297; "His Holiness the Pope enters in full regalia,..."
✔️ Prisoner - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 33; "...agoraphobia had kept her prisoner in her house..."
✔️ Proverb - Exemplary Stories pg 269; "...recite a Latin proverb which they call an adage..."
✔️ Publisher - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 41; "The magazine's publisher is in the family."
✔️ Roman - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 140; "...as a figure on an ancient Roman coin."
✔️ Secret - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 96; "...as if this were a dark secret..."
✔️ Sighs - The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend pg 266; "...to put up with some sentimental sighs,..."
✔️ Supper - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 152; "...parsed the iconography as if it were the Last Supper."
✔️ Treasure Chest - Merci Suárez Changes Gears pg 61; "It's like a treasure chest, since she throws nothing out."
✔️ Uninhabited - The Catskills: Its History and How It Changed America pg 136; "virtually uninhabited by whites in 1790,..."
✔️ Volunteer - The Catskills: Its History and How It Changed America pg 162; "that he did not volunteer to serve in the Civil War..."

Carry-over from Travel #1

✔️ Bon Voyage - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 38; "...waving and shouting 'Bon Voyage' until we were hoarse..."

Carry-over from Travel #2

✔️ Wanderlust - Writers & Lovers pg 74; "...he wooed her with wanderlust."

message 17: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 14199 comments Good luck Ed, Jonquil & Karen!

message 18: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (an80slady6886) | 541 comments Will flooding, instead of flood be accepted?

message 19: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 14199 comments Yes that works for me, Kathryn.

message 20: by Tari (new)

Tari (thann) | 573 comments How about phenomena for phenomenon?

message 21: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 14199 comments I'll take it Tari!!

message 22: by Tari (new)

Tari (thann) | 573 comments Jan wrote: "I'll take it Tari!!"

Yay, thank you!

message 23: by Denise (new)

Denise | 2573 comments In case I can't find panorma will panoramic do?

message 24: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 14199 comments Yes that would work Denise!

message 25: by Denise (new)

Denise | 2573 comments Jan wrote: "Yes that would work Denise!"

thanks!

message 26: by Karen (new)

Karen | 588 comments And while we're at it, will boots work for boot? I know plural usually works but I didn't know if you are referring to Italy being a "boot" you would prefer a single boot!

message 27: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 14199 comments Karen - Unless it says (no variations) after it I will except other versions of the word.

message 28: by Karen (new)

Karen | 588 comments Thanks Jan.

message 29: by Karen (new)

Karen | 588 comments Next question - two of my current books have Pope in them but as a proper name, i.e. Miss Pope. Is that acceptable?

message 30: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 14199 comments I will accept that Karen. It does not have to actually be reference "THE" pope.

message 31: by Karen (new)

Karen | 588 comments Thanks again, Jan!

message 32: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (an80slady6886) | 541 comments Does inhabited work for uninhabited?

message 33: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 14199 comments No Kathryn! It does not since it means the exact opposite. If you found a sentence that said "not inhabited" I might accept that.

message 34: by Jonquil (new)

Jonquil | 359 comments Italy Word Search
June 1 - August 31, 2020

DONE

Fatal Cover-Up Lisa Harris 7/14
Proverb “Italian proverbs and funny stories” loc 1615
Glass “Glass doors opened ahead of them” loc 954

The Burglar in Short Order Lawrence Block 6/15
Colony “it’s an artists and writers colony” pg 13
Looted “Looted his own well-insured library” pg 73

Invisible Boy Cornelia Read 6/17
Nativity “wondered if she thought her impending nativity could possibly” Pg 342

A Killing by the Sea Kathleen Bridge 6/14
Lagoon “the lagoon was gray” pg 47
Treasure Chest “extracting a small treasure chest” pg 186
Uninhabited “off the small uninhabited island” pg 178

Guaranteed to Bleed Julie Mulhern 6/10
Gondola “holding hands in a gondola” loc 1703

Murder on Cape Cod Maddie Day 6/10
Peninsula “drive across the peninsula” loc 980

Escapes Can Be Murder Connie Shelton 6/8
Panorama “here to enjoy the panorama at my feet” loc 1863
Pope “Is the Pope Catholic?” loc 3342

Fashionably Dead Down Under Robyn Peterman
Angels “not all angels are good” loc 509
Fresco “Frescos painted on them” loc 805
Phenomenon “some kind of unnatural phenomenon” loc 1360

The Battle of Hackham Heath John Flanagan 6/5
Cradle “baby cradled now in both arms” pg 187
Espionage “intelligence gathering and, at times, espionage” pg 27

A Brush with Death Ali Carter 6/1
Manuscript “He must have handed in his manuscript” loc 4101
Occupation “combined with his previous occupation” loc 2297
Pizza “choose between lunch in McDonald’s or Pizza Hut” loc 3765

The Haunted Heist Angie Fox 6/3
Costume “he needs me to make him a costume” loc 2294
Facade “impressive red brick facades” loc 257

The Coloring Crook Krista Davis 6/4
Genius "the guy was a genius" p234

Southern Double Cross Caroline Fardig
Artisan "your artisan pimento cheese sandwich" pg 294

A Death of No Importance Mariah Fredericks 6/1
Aristocrat “The city had only recently stopped mourning the aristocratic Mrs. Astor” pg 2
Ash(es) “when she went to clean out the ash” pg 246
Bell “Hehan rang the bell.” pg 173 “The bells at a nearby church began to sound.” pg 221
Boot “the battered leather boots she had danced in earlier” pg 281
Catholic “Careful, I’m Roman Catholic.” pg 181
Century “landed on these shores at the end of the last century” Pg 13
Collapse “it bore the date of the mine collapse” pg 72
Delicacy “with delicacy, I reached out and tugged” pg 234
Flood “a drop in the great flood that landed on these shores” pg 13
Italy “Her family was from Italy.” pg 32
Lace “In her hands was a small lace handkerchief.” pg 228
Library “I thought perhaps she was in the library.” pg 65
Luxury “his life would have been wasted in luxury” pg 215
Museum “Flags were lowered at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.” pg 273
Prisoner “I had nothing I could pass to the prisoner” pg 208
Publisher “Publisher Otis calls the bombers ‘cowardly murderers’ and ‘anarchic scum’.” pg 35
Roman “the building had been inspired by the Pantheon in Rome; looking up at the massive Roman columns that lined the front of the building…” pg 180
Secret “But it’s a great secret.” pg 21
Sighs “throughway four stories above street level known as the Bridge of Sighs” pg 207
Supper “his cousin Phoebe’s slippers at a supper dance” pg 17
Volunteer “I volunteer at the Rivington Street Settlement House.” pg 213

message 35: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 14199 comments Wow Jonquil!! Impressive job :)

message 36: by Denise (new)

Denise | 2573 comments will you accept "uninhabitable" for "uninhabited"?

message 37: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 14199 comments Yes Denise! I will take that :)

message 38: by Denise (new)

Denise | 2573 comments Jan wrote: "Yes Denise! I will take that :)"

thank you!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm calling this done..

42/46

Kissing Frogs by Rich Amooi (6/3/20)

Bell - Before she could talk herself out of it she went next door and rang the bell. (p 47)
Collapse - "They go home and collapse every night." (p 51)
Genius - "I have an idea that will either make me look like an idiot or a genius. (p 134)
Glass - A big plate of pasta and a glass of wine would really hit the spot. (p 22)
Museum - It would be a short ceremony at Cesar Chavez Park in downtown San Jose followed by a catered dinner across the street at the San Jose Tech Museum. (p 192)
Pizza - "Do you like pizza?" asked Ian. (p 53)
Pope - "The Pope?" (p 83)
Secret - "The chef's rub them down with their signature blend of seventeen secret spices and then smoke them until they are tender and bursting with flavor." (p 107)

Night at the Vulcan (Roderick Alleyn #16) by Ngaio Marsh (6/10/20)

Ash(es) - "I'm a shoulder-lenght natural ash-blonde and I've had to have an urchin cut and go black and all I get is insults. (p 108)
Boot - The doctor backed away into his chair and examinded an unlovely mess of chocolate and cardboard on the sole of his boot. (p 281)
Costume - "In costume." (p 11)
Delicacy - The mouth, in particular, was of a most subtle character, perfectly masculine but drawn with extreme delicacy. (p 22)
Phenomenon - "A phenomenon", he said, "that is not without its dim interest." (p 214)
Roman - For the greater part of the first act he was alone, having, as he had explained in the office, no masochistic itch to invite a guest to a Roman holiday where he himself was the major sacrifice. (p 155)
Supper - "I was 'avin' me bitter supper." (p 18)

Born a Crime Stories From a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah (6/16/20)

Angels (must be plural) - "I've got all of Heaven's angels behind me." (p 26)
catholic - At the time, I attended a private Catholic school called Maryvale College. (p 21)
Colony - As a former trading colony, South Africa has always had a large expatriate community. (p 44)
Cradle - He put his finger on the cradle and hung up the call. (p 377)
Facade - The other option is to toughen up, put upt this facade. (p 330)
Flood - Noah and the flood was obviously a favorite; I had a personal stake there. (p 15)
Library - My music library was gone. (p 324)
Luxury - Meat was a luxury. (p 117)
Prisoner - But seeing her hit with a bicycle, living like a prisoner in her own backyard, that was the final straw for me. (p 405)
Proverb - -Proverbs 22:15 (p 134)

A Will And A Way by Nora Roberts (6/19/20)

Aristocrat - The way a thin ring of gray outlined his irises, the straight, almost aristocratic line of his nose that had remained miraculously unbroken through countless firstfights. (p 131)
Century - He'd built it when he'd been forty, so the house was already over a half century old. (p 38)
Lace - "All you need is one of those slim little skirts that sweep the floor and a lace blouse with padded shoulders." (p 143)

Conventionally Yours (True Colors, #1) by Annabeth Albert (6/21/20)

Sighs (must be plural) - Conrad was driving, and he kept fiddling with the stereo while making frustrated sighs at the line of cars in front of us. (p 403)
Volunteer - It was on the tip of my tongue to volunteer my own couch, which didn't see very many visitors but was acceptably long enough for overly tall persons like Conrad, but then his face shifted from sheepish to something closer to one of his old sneers. (p 264)

The Book That Made Me A Collection of 32 Personal Stories by Judith Ridge (6/25/20)

Publisher -My first rejection letter from a publisher soon followed. (p 42)
Manuscript - By that stage, the manuscript bore little resemblance to the story I had started in Year Six. (p 43)

The Bloody British A Well-Meaning Guide to an Awkward Nation by Paul Hawkins (6/30/20)

Artisan - Unfortunately, all hairdressers in the known universe interpret this kind of reckless politeness as the grand trumpet call of destiny, summoning them to unleash their inner artisan from the ancient shackles of Beauty School. (loc 471)
Espionage - Between 2016 and 2017 (when this book was first written, then published in Germany), I would become a kind of double-agent of toilet book-based espionage, working for the place I lived against the place I was from, exposing the cultural weaknesses, adorable shortcomings and amusing blind-spots of Britishness for all to see. (loc 229)
Italy - "Romeo and Juliet is set in Italy, right?" (loc 1229)

Murder Takes a Holiday Classic Crime Stories for Summer by Various (7/16/20)

Looted (no variations) - Two days after the murder, a notorious young thug called Miller was run over and killed by a lorry on the by-pass road, and in his pocked were found several small pieces of jewellery looted from Mrs Whittington's bedroom at the time of her death. (p 228)
Peninsula - Thus it was in the early spring of that year we found ourselves together in a small cottage near Poldhu Bay, at the further extremity of the Cornish peninsula. (p 11)

The Heist (Fox and O'Hare, #1) by Janet Evanovich (7/28/20)

Occupation - They ate the pig and Griffin told stories about Indonesia's history, the wars fought over control fo the spice trade, and the difficulties during the Dutch occupation of the islands. (p 290)

The Case of the Murdered Mackenzie (The Masao Masuto Mysteries Book 7) by Howard Fast (7/31/20)

Uninhabited - "He could sail out to one of those uninhabited islands off the Santa Barbara channel and really go to earth." (p 249)

Untamed by Glennon Doyle (8/7/20)

Nativity - I am ten years old, and I'm sitting in a small room in the back of Nativity Catholic Church with twenty other kids. (p 20)

Secrets at the Beach House by Diane Chamberlain (8/8/20)

Lagoon - "She found a great house on a lagoon in Point Pleasant, but when it came time for her to move into it... well, I bet you can guess what happened." (p 30)

The Bee A Natural History by Noah Wilson-Rich (8/28/20)

Fresco(e) - A fresco from the Tomb of Pasaba in Luxor, Egypt, showing a pillar of the hypaethral court and depiciting a scene of beekeeping. (p 38)

Words

Gondola
Panorama

Carry-Over Scotland:

Necropolis

message 40: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 14199 comments Nice job Rosa!! I have several carryovers that are haunting me.

message 41: by Olivermagnus (new)

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 699 comments ~~~ Completed ~~~

Italy Word Search
of 45 Complete

Words

Quietly in Their Sleep - Donna Leon - 8/7/20 - (19)
🌷Aristocrat - page 129 - "He studied her face, the dark eyes bright with intelligence, the thin nose that bespoke either the aristocrat or the asetic"
🌷 Bell - page 49 - "Brunetti pressed the bell"
🌷 Boot - page 234 - "He bent and reached out to shove it with the toe of his heavy boot, hoping to dislodge it
🌷 Catholic - page 169 - "Opus Dei was dedicated to recapturing, or so it would seem, political domination for the Catholic Church"
🌷 Century - page 212 - "Brunetti saw Padre Pio advancing toward him, his tall form enveloped in a dark woolen cape that fastened at the neck by a clasp made eighteenth century Austrian Maria Teresa Thaler".
🌷 Collapse - page 134 - "She's not a plaster saint who will collapse at the first sight of impropriety or misbehavior"
🌷 Delicacy - page 188 - "Brunetti noted the delicacy with which Vianello avoided naming the time, midnight, when he would relieve the other younger officer"
🌷 Facade - page 213 - "He looked at the scaffolding that covered the front of the basilica and saw that the shadows had crawled halfway up the facade"
🌷 Glass - page 34 - "He had a piece of proscuitto wrapped around a thin breadstick and a glass of chardonnay to wash away the salty taste of meat".
🌷 Gondola - page 47 - "When the boat pulled up at the gondola stop Vianello grabbed the end of a coiled rope and leaped onto the dock".
🌷 Italy - page 114 - "There's lots of cities in Italy"
🌷 Lace - page 170 - "Fruit dealers closed, shoemakers went out of business and all seemed transformed into masks, machine made lace, and plastic gondolas"
🌷 Library - page 167 - "Brunetti decided to spend the rest of his afternoon in the Marciana library"
🌷 Occupation - page 236 - "Doctor Litfin had survived the Russian occupation of Berlin"
🌷 Pope - page 184 - "Nor did they have a Pope who praised them for their sacredmission".
🌷Prisoner - page 111 - "Stefania's father had been a prisoner of war in Germany for three years"
🌷 Roman - page 31 - " If it's one one I'm thinking of, the wife's a Roman, but the dog's an Afhgan"
🌷 Secret - page 116 - "She was prepared to forgive his provocative remarks about secret Swiss bank accounts"
🌷 Supper - page 20 - "She and her husband invited me to go back to their home with them for supper".

Dead Irish - John Lescroart - 6/20/20 - (7)
🌷 Angels (must be plural) - page 332 - "My wife says it's angels passing"
🌷 Flood - page 32 - "It came back to him in a flood"
🌷 Genius - page 125 - "That's cause you're a genius, Diz"
🌷 Museum - page 122 - "Making Frannie feel better by taking her to lunch or a museum or a park"
🌷 Peninsula - page 144 - "He hadn't been down the peninsula in nearly a year"
🌷 Publisher - page 163 - "They lived quietly, at home, a publisher and his employee, private lives discretely handled"
🌷 Volunteer - page 117 - "Volunteer work at St. Mary's Hospital"

Rise of the Isle of the Lost - Melissa de la Cruz - 7/4/2020 - (2)
🌷 Ash(es) - page 252 - "There it was, rising, like a phoenix from the ashes".
🌷 Lagoon - page 210 - "He could not even make out the far side of the lagoon".

The Isle of the Lost - Melissa de la Cruz - 6/19/20 - (1)
🌷 Treasure Chest (must be together) - - page 314 - "They walked together, Jay straining under the weight of the treasure chest and the carriage full of treats".

Hollywood Dirt - Alessandra Torre - 6/14/20 - (3)
🌷 Cradle - page 199 - "He hung the phone on its cradle".
🌷 Luxury - page 84 - "He should leave this dust filled sauna and return to his city of clean hands, cool air, and luxury".
🌷 Pizza - page 415 - There had been long deliberation last night, their brains fueled by Summer's fruit pizza and margaritas, over Ben and Justin's bag people identities".

Hell's Corner - David Baldacci - 6/20/20 - (1)
🌷 Espionage - page 7 - "You understand the trenches of espionage better than most people in the executive offices at Langley"

A Breath of Snow and Ashes - Diana Gabaldon - 7/11/20 - (1)
🌷 Colony - page 29 - "He's charged me to travel about about, over the western part of the colony, and keep an ear to the ground"

High Country - Nevada Barr - 6/24/20 - (1)
🌷 Looted (no variations) - page 22 - "Dixon's storage boxes and cook area had been looted".

The Bees - Laline Paull - 6/25/20 - (1)
🌷 Fresco(e) - page 183 - "Now she saw it all again, the curved, vaulted ceiling of the Dance Hall with it's frescoes of flowers and leaves carved into the ancient wax panels"

Heaven, My Home - Attica Locke - 7/5/20 - (1)
🌷 Nativity - page 76 - "Hopetown had been a self contained community with a church and a school and a meeting hall where they held nativity plays and elections"

The Interior - Lisa See - 6/27/20 - (4)
🌷 Panorama - page 127 - "The view presented a panorama of Beijing"
🌷 Proverb - page 274 - "Do you know the old proverb, he who has a mind to beat his dog will easily find a stick"
🌷 Phenomenon - page 27 - "It's a phenomenon".
🌷 Sighs (must be plural) - page 48 - "Soon the high pitched announcements were replaced by the gentle sighs of the sleeping men and the soothing pulse of the train moving along the track"

The Rise of Magicks - Nora Roberts - 8/28/20 - (1)
🌷 Uninhabited - page 146 - "It's forest, mostly uninhabited".

Eight Perfect Murders - Peter Swanson - 6/28/20 - (1)
🌷 Manuscript - page 204 - "Anyway, I told him to submit the manuscript or I'd look for another agent"

The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat - Edward Kelsey Moore - 7/24/20 - (2)
🌷 Artisan - page 218 - "She was wearing a pair of Birkenstock sandals that she had purchased a few days earlier at a shop near the campus where young saleswomen who didn't shave their armpits or wear makeup sold comfortable shoes and artisan cheeses".
🌷 Costume - page 40 - "Minnie's costume of the day was a deep purple robe decorated with the same astrological signs that adorned her corner table".

message 42: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 14199 comments Wow Lynda! Terrific job :)

message 43: by Karen (last edited Aug 29, 2020 09:01AM) (new)

Karen | 588 comments Good progress but not complete. Looks like I'm going to have to read a Venetian themed book sometime soon!

✔️ Artisan - The Catskills: Its History and How It Changed America pg 331; "...Byrdcliffe artisans followed the assembly-line methods..."
✔️ Angels - Lila pg 30; "The Reverand talked about angels and the notion..."
✔️ Aristocrat - The Catskills: Its History and How It Changed America pg 103; "...the aristocrat ensured that the success of the Clermont would lead to..."
✔️ Ash(es) - Lila pg 14; "We got some spuds in the ashes, ma'am."
✔️ Bell - Dragonwyck pg 23; "...a scissors-grinder man with his little bell."
✔️ Boot - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 1741; "...had leaked through my old leather boots...."
✔️ Catholic - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 98; "...fervent dedication to the Catholic faith..."
✔️ Century - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 17; "...in the middle of the last century,..."
✔️ Collapse - The Catskills: Its History and How It Changed America pg 227; "Eventually, the Silver Age began to collapse.
✔️ Colony - The Catskills: Its History and How It Changed America pg 157; "...men who petitioned King Charles to grant the colony its charter."
✔️ Costume - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 38; "Why are you wearing a costume?"
✔️ Cradle - Dragonwyck pg 9; "Only the baby, gurgling in her cradle..."
✔️ Delicacy - Dragonwyck pg 249; "...each syllable was accentuated with delicacy,..."
✔️ Espionage - The Girls of Atomic City: The Untold Story of the Women Who Helped Win World War II pg 71; "...in Axis espionage and sabotage activities..."
✔️ Facade - The Catskills: Its History and How It Changed America pg 251; "...which at least made the facade look fireproof."
✔️ Flood - Lila by Marilynne Robinson pg 108; "...where there had been flood or hail or grasshoppers..."
• Fresco(e)
✔️ Genius - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 80; "...with a genius for making others look good."
✔️ Glass - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 64; "...and the curved glass bowl sitting on top..."
• Gondola
✔️ Italy - Dragonwyck pg 43; "traveling elegantly through England, France, Spain, Italy and Germany..."
✔️ Lace - The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend pg 323; "...mercifully free of frills and lace.
• Lagoon
✔️ Library - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 22; "I went to the library yesterday..."
• Looted (no variations)
✔️ Luxury - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 60; "...introducing luxury health food to wealthy..."
✔️ Manuscript - The Catskills: Its History and How It Changed America pg 162; "...plagiarized from one of Emerson's discarded manuscripts."
✔️ Museum - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 100; "Think of it like a museum,..."
✔️ Nativity - Lila by Marilynne Robinson pg 42; "...and as for thy nativity, in the day thou wast born..."
✔️ Occupation - The Catskills: Its History and How It Changed America pg 325; "...but so too were occupation, tax bracket, and geography,..."
✔️ Panorama - The Catskills: Its History and How It Changed America pg 110; "...as if they were all part of one large panorama."
✔️ Peninsula - Becoming pg 26; "...along Lake Michigan to the fenced off peninsula where..."
✔️ Phenomenon - The Catskills: Its History and How It Changed America pg 250; "...probably best illustrates the phenomenon that went on."
✔️ Pizza - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 77; "...took the kids out for pizza,..."
✔️ Pope - Exemplary Stories pg 297; "His Holiness the Pope enters in full regalia,..."
✔️ Prisoner - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 33; "...agoraphobia had kept her prisoner in her house..."
✔️ Proverb - Exemplary Stories pg 269; "...recite a Latin proverb which they call an adage..."
✔️ Publisher - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 41; "The magazine's publisher is in the family."
✔️ Roman - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 140; "...as a figure on an ancient Roman coin."
✔️ Secret - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 96; "...as if this were a dark secret..."
✔️ Sighs - The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend pg 266; "...to put up with some sentimental sighs,..."
✔️ Supper - Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir pg 152; "...parsed the iconography as if it were the Last Supper."
• Treasure Chest (must be together)
✔️ Uninhabited - The Catskills: Its History and How It Changed America pg 136; "virtually uninhabited by whites in 1790,..."
✔️ Volunteer - The Catskills: Its History and How It Changed America pg 162; "that he did not volunteer to serve in the Civil War..."

Carryovers...
fresco
gondola
lagoon
looted
treasure chest

message 44: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 14199 comments You made great progress Karen!! I have a couple of those same words I'm carrying over.

message 45: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (an80slady6886) | 541 comments Finished!

Italy Word Search
38/45

Too Much and Never Enough How My Family Created the World's Most Dangerous Man by Mary L. Trump Mary L. Trump 8/22/20 ***
Fresco(e) p 162 Everything was marble, gold leaf, mirrored walls, white walls, and FRESCOES.

The Inn at Hidden Run (Tree of Life #1) by Olivia Newport Olivia Newport 6/4/20 ***
Bell Location1969seen in the morning the BELLS began to ring
Boot Location 3227 Sure if I get my BOOTS fixed.
Collapse Location 1090 Nia COLLAPSED into her desk chair
Costume Location 2848dresed in period mining COSTUME
Cradle Location 198 Jillian returned the phone to the CRADLE.
Delicacy p. p. 52 the way she consumed her chosen DELICACIES
Flood p. 146 the endorphins FLOODING her brain at the thought
Glass p, 151 Children and adults huddled against the GLASS
Library p.75 the LIBRARY with its floor to ceiling shelves
Museum p. 175 but documents in the local heritage MUSEUM revealed it
Occupation p. 174 at least, the way she practiced her OCCUPATION
Secret p.31 We’re going to need two of your SECRET specials
Supper p. 131 in your room at the Inn right after SUPPER
Volunteer Location 304 a young woman he recognized as an occasional VOLUNTEER

No Angel My Harrowing Undercover Journey to the Inner Circle of the Hells Angels by Jay Dobyns Jay Dobyns 6/11/20 ***
Century p 100 dresses that looked like nineteenth CENTURY kitchen props
Pizza p. 5 JJ, Timmy, and I chowed at a PIZZA Hut

Coming Home (Chesapeake Diaries #1) by Mariah Stewart Mariah Stewart 6/12/20 ****
Italy p 32 I still need something to wear for sightseeing in ITALY
Lace p. 36 LACE, satin, satin and LACE, chiffon—there were gowns for all seasons
Luxury p 233 Vanessa pulled into the lot and stopped behind a gorgeous black xc sedan.
Prisoner p 201 He’s still in PRISON.

Breakfast at the Honey Creek Café (Honey Creek, #1) by Jodi Thomas Jodi Thomas 6/14/20 **
Angels (must be plural) Location 2150 I don’t know if they’re ANGELS or devils.
Genius p. 60 wouldn’t go over 50 since, bikr GRNIUS that I am

My Vanishing Country by Bakari Sellers Bakari Sellers 6/18/20 ****
Proverb I’m a product of the PROVERB, “it takes a village to raise a child”

Ghost of Sangju by Soojung Jo Soojung Jo 6/20/20 **
Façade p 46 I’m a complicated mess of repressed emotional hysterics under a FAÇADE of stoicism that came from years of holding myself in.

I Can Make This Promise by Christine Day Christine Day 6/23/20 ****
Ash(es) p, 134 Vials are filled with ASH from the Mt. St. Helen’s eruption
Roman p.11 I know we want some sparkle, some ROMAN candles.
Sighs (must be plural) p 28 Amelia SIGHS and lifts herself up onto her elbows

An American Princess The Many Lives of Allene Tew by Annejet van der Zijl Annejet van der Zijl 6/25/20 ***
Aristocrat p 55 as many Russian and European ARISTOCRATS had traditionally done.
Colony P. 28 when America was still a British COLONY
Peninsula p 172 she rented a house on the farthest tip of the Newport PENINSULA, surrounded on three sides by the Atlantic Ocean.
Phenomenon p 11 It was clear that Allene would remain an only child—an unusual PHENOMENON in a prolific clan like the Tews.
Pope p 172 n 1927, the famous architect John Russell POPE built a summerhouse for himself and his family near Edith Wharton’s former home Land’s End..

[bookover:Still Waters|25365325] Viveca Sten 6/29/20 ***
Panorama p. 288 the view through the PANORAMA window was astonishing.

Cowboy Strong Stacy Finz 7/2/20 ***
Catholic p.56 Olga Watson, Bobby’s mom, grew up CATHOLIC but converted when she married

Hello, Summer Mary Kay Andrews 7/12/20 ***Publisher p.22 Grayson is the PUBLISHER and managing editor of the Beacon

Tanglewood Plantation Jocelyn Miller 7/12/20 *****Uninhabited p 28 A straw broom leaned in a corner, the only reminder that the cabin was once INHABITED

The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds
Selina Siak Chin Yoke 7/24/20 ****
Manuscript p 458 My agent, Thomas Colchie, and his wife, Elaine, were the first people in the publishing world who were excited by my MANUSCRIPT

Words
Artisan
Espionage
Gondola
Lagoon
Looted (no variations)
Nativity

message 46: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 14199 comments Great job Kathryn!

message 47: by Denise (new)

Denise | 2573 comments Italy Word Search

44/45- of course, I found the word in a book reading on 9.1.20 but not finished the book yet

Words

Artisan - “his mother had made at the Yook Fun artisan shop many years ago” p. 236 Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford 6.5.20

Angels (must be plural) “your mother has gone to the angels” Chapter 1 – 20 min audiobook The Huntress by Kate Quinn 6.14.20

Aristocrat - “An aristocrat, maybe” p. 80 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Ash(es) - “I had stoked the ashes in the stove” p. 49 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Bell - “lady on a bicycle who rang her bell furiously at me” p. 146 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Boot - “Putting his boot on the seat beside me” p. 12 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Catholic - “I was not a Catholic until I became a prisoner” p. 205 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Century- “In the fifteenth century when the house was built…” p. 71 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Collapse - “collapse of my father’s business” p. 52 The End of the Wasp Season by Denise Mina 6.7.20

Colony - “A villa colony with a steeplechase course” p. 38A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Costume - “ooh and aah over the costume jewelry” p. 140 Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford 6.5.20

Cradle-“he replaced the receiver in its cradle” p. 108 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Delicacy - “confidence combined with artistic delicacy” p. 136 In the Wake of the Plague: The Black Death and the World It Made by Norman Cantor 6.20.20

Espionage - “hide equipment connected to his espionage activities in his suitcase.” P. 53 The Shadow Killer by Arnaldur Indridason 6.12.20

Facade - “there was a certain austerity of detail about the façade” p. 218 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Flood - letting her impressions of before flood aimlessly in” p. 189 The End of the Wasp Season by Denise Mina 6.7.20

Fresco(e) - “adorned a sixteenth century Italian fresco” p. 91 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Genius- “Aristotle was an overachieving genius” p. 198 In the Wake of the Plague: The Black Death and the World It Made by Norman Cantor 6.20.20

Glass - “We’ve had some new glass… “ p. 5 A German Requiem by Philip kerr 6.3.20

Gondola “yanking Ian into the gondola” Chapter 17 9 minutes audiobook The Huntress by Kate Quinn 6.13.20

Italy - “its easy to get across the border into Italy” p. 280 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Lace - “She was like a fine lace handkerchief” p. 74 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Lagoon

Library - “its such a pity the library is gone” p.181 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Looted (no variations) “Cyrilic word ‘Atak’ivat (searched) which really meant ‘looted’” p. 128 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Luxury - “hot water – an unaccustomed luxury” p. 72 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Manuscript - “generous praise of an early manuscript” p. 289 Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford 6.5.20

Museum - “My voice echoed up the ruined museum” p. 95 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Nativity - “like Mary in the nativity” p. 379 The End of the Wasp Season by Denise Mina 6.7.20

Occupation - “with no reason to do with their occupation of the city” p. 50 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Panorama - “panorama of the City of London came into view” p. 87 In Farleigh Field by Rhys Bowen 6.25.20

Peninsula “in the Iberian peninsula” p. 34 In the Wake of the Plague: The Black Death and the World It Made by Norman Cantor 6.20.20

Phenomenon - “real estate and inflation was as well known a phenomenon in the Middle Ages…” p. 77 In the Wake of the Plague: The Black Death and the World It Made by Norman Cantor 6.20.20

Pizza - “Cheap mini pizzas” p. 129 The End of the Wasp Season by Denise Mina 6.7.20

Pope - “Kings and knights, Emperors and Popes” p. 6 In the Wake of the Plague: The Black Death and the World It Made by Norman Cantor 6.20.20

Prisoner - “as a Soviet prisoner or war I had eaten enough of it smeared on coarse black bread” p. 109 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Proverb - “The old proverb ran “in vino veritas” p. 182 The Ivory Dagger by Patricia Wentworth 6.8.20

Publisher -Publisher “Henry rolled past the Rodo-Sha publisher” p. 97 Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford 6.5.20

Roman - There had been a Roman Villa there” p. 64 The Ivory Dagger by Patricia Wentworth 6.8.20

Secret - “They’ve got more secrets than the surface of Mars.” P.109 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Sighs (must be plural) - “the sighs of disappointment were audible” p. 25 The Sisters Weiss by Naomi Ragen 8.18.20

Supper - “instructed the Latvian to bring me supper” p. 191 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

Treasure Chest (must be together) - “As for the treasure chest, it might be best if we took it with us” p. 278 Dark Serpent by Paul Doherty 8.29.20

Uninhabited - “smell of an uninhabited house” p. 182 Hunting Game by Helene Tursten 8.14.20

Volunteer - “I’m going to leave with the volunteers when the five-thirty whistle blows” p. 232 Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford 6.5.20

Carry-over
Travel Search #2

casino - “she is a croupier at the Casino Oriental “ p 140 A German Requiem by Philip Kerr 6.3.20

farmer's market - “Pick up some fresh veggies from the farmer’s market?” p. 370 I Always Wanted to be a SpyJudith A. Barrett 7.5.20

rainforest

road trip - “took a road trip with Blagden…” p. 6NeuroTribes: The Legacy of Autism and the Future of Neurodiversity by Steve Silberman 7.31.20

Russia - Stroganoff

message 48: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 14199 comments Of course Denise! That's often the case...lol. Nice job :)

message 49: by Tari (new)

Tari (thann) | 573 comments I'm calling this done at 44/45, can't find the exact word "looted" anywhere, all other forms just not the right one lol.
Italy Word Search

44/45

Artisan-Death on Windmill Way Carrie Doyle 7/2/20 (artisanal) "...the quintessential artisanal cheese shop."
Angels (must be plural)-Picture Perfect Murder Jenna St. James 6/7/20 p 53 "...before Charlie's Angels was even a thing."
Aristocrat-A Muddied Murder Wendy Tyson 6/3/20 p 48 "...some English aristocrat Megan had never heard of."
Ash(es)-How to Bake a Murder K.J. Emrick 6/2/20 p 185 "It burned to ash where it fell."
Bell-How to Bake a Murder K.J. Emrick 6/2/20 p 18 "...not enough to set off the shopkeeper's bell..."
Boot-No Filter Heather Day Gilbert 6/1/20 p 9 "...apparently made some lifelong customers, to boot."
Catholic-Bear Witness to Murder Meg Macy 6/4/20 loc 3052 "...her parents are strict. Greek and Catholic."
Century-A Muddied Murder Wendy Tyson 6/3/20 p 99 "...fashion of the eighteenth century."
Collapse-How to Bake a Murder K.J. Emrick 6/2/20 p 63 "...I don't think I'd collapse."
Colony-No Filter Heather Day Gilbert 6/1/20 p 103 "...one of the art colony shops..."
Costume-A Muddied Murder Wendy Tyson 6/3/20 p 199 "...rules and costume requirements..."
Cradle-A Muddied Murder Wendy Tyson 6/3/20 p 9 "...her truck striving to cradle the..."
Delicacy-No Filter Heather Day Gilbert 6/1/20 p 102 "...looking at some rare delicacy."
Espionage-Booked for Death Victoria Gilbert 6/21/20 (they loved this word, it appeared 4 times lol) loc 3139 "...they were afraid she'd get restless and engage in a little espionage on her own."
Facade(s) (pl)-A Muddied Murder Wendy Tyson 6/3/20 p 10 "...between the crumbling facades of centuries-old buildings..."
Flood-No Filter Heather Day Gilbert 6/1/20 p 6 "...died in a creek flood."
Fresco(e)-A Beach House to Die For K.C. Ames 8/29/20 p. 13 “…Benny ordered a fresco de cas.”
Genius-A Muddied Murder Wendy Tyson 6/3/20 p 252 "The man was a genius..."
Glass-No Filter Heather Day Gilbert 6/1/20 p 1 "...set my nearly empty glass down..."
Gondola-One Fete in the Grave Vickie Fee 7/20/20 loc 1287 "...work on sourcing a gondola for Mama's wedding."
Italy-No Filter Heather Day Gilbert 6/1/20 p 14 "...she'd never seen a more beautiful coffee, even in Italy."
Lace-A Muddied Murder Wendy Tyson 6/3/20 p 51 "...the tray of lace cookies..."
Lagoon-Killer Cruise A.R. Winters 6/6/20 loc 2101 "...tell him I was heading to the lagoon pool."
Library-No Filter Heather Day Gilbert 6/1/20 p 10 "The library had donated..."
Looted (no variations)
Luxury-How to Bake a Murder K.J. Emrick 6/2/20 p 64 "The mayor drove a high-end luxury sedan."
Manuscript-Thyme to Kill Tegan Maher 6/5/20 loc 1104 "...get some work done on my manuscript..."
Museum-A Muddied Murder Wendy Tyson 6/3/20 p 215 "...he wanted to open a museum."
Nativity-A Muddied Murder Wendy Tyson 6/3/20 p 117 "...that tiny nativity scene..."
Occupation-One Woman's Junk JB Lynn 6/14/20 p 61 "...made it sound like it was the most despicable occupation in the land."
Panorama (found panoramic) Cooks, Crooks and Cruises A.R. Winters 7/10/20 loc 2101 "I took a panoramic shot of the pool area..."
Peninsula-Yeast of Eden Sarah Fox 7/13/20 loc 282 "I don't think he can ever move back to the peninsula, though."
Phenomenon-found phenomena, Jan okayed-One Woman's Junk JB Lynn 6/14/20 p 192 “It’s a relatively new phenomena for me.”
Pizza-How to Bake a Murder K.J. Emrick 6/2/20 p 161 "Lots of take-out pizza boxes."
Pope-Uncle and Ants Marc Jedel 6/16/20 p 83 "Daniel Pope finally responded to my text."
Prisoner-How to Bake a Murder K.J. Emrick 6/2/20 p 48 "You're my guest, not my prisoner."
Proverb-Uncle and Ants Marc Jedel 6/16/20 p 61 "My dad liked the old proverb..."
Publisher(s)-Booked for Death Victoria Gilbert 6/21/20 loc 906 "...his real name was common knowledge among editors and publishers."
Roman(s)-Killer Souffles and Cliches Mel McCoy 6/13/20 loc 836 "The Romans believed the vein in that particular finger..."
Secret-No Filter Heather Day Gilbert 6/1/20 p 127 "Perhaps a secret meeting..."
Sighs (must be plural)-How to Bake a Murder K.J. Emrick 6/2/20 p 53 "There had been eye rolls and long sighs..."
Supper-No Filter Heather Day Gilbert 6/1/20 p 45 "migraine that had been threatening since supper..."
Treasure Chest (must be together)-Murder at the Falls Arlene Kay 7/18/20 loc. 1614 "We called it her treasure chest..."
Uninhabited-A Killer Read Erika Chase 7/21/20 p 227 "...this riverside vista would remain the same, and wild."
Volunteer-No Filter Heather Day Gilbert 6/1/20 p 19 "...if she was a volunteer at the shelter."

message 50: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 14199 comments Great job Tari! You will find that last word eventually...they usually pop up once you give up on it.

« previous 1