Play Book Tag discussion

The Remains of the Day
This topic is about The Remains of the Day
May 2020: Other Books > [Poll Ballot] The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joy D | 3209 comments The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro - 5 stars - My Review

Character study of an aging English butler so caught up in his own dedication to duty and the pursuit of dignity that he misses out on meaningful relationships. He is unable to acknowledge his feelings, even to himself, but the reader will gradually catch on to his self-deception.

On a six-day holiday in 1956, he embarks on a journey by car to attempt to rehire a former colleague. The narrative consists mostly of Stevens reminiscing about his decades of service to his past employer, Lord Darlington, current employer, his stoic father, and his former colleague. The reader may also find Stevens has deceived himself about Lord Darlington.

The ability to write in such a subtle way to gradually induce several “aha” moments, without being directly told by narrator Stevens, is most impressive. This book is not for anyone looking for lots of action or a tidy resolution. The tone is reflective and sad, though it contains a bit of dry humor. The ending packs an emotional punch. It is a novel of denial and regret, but at the same time, can be taken as a message of caution to the reader. It deserves its place as a literary classic.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5641 comments Totally agree. I just finished it last night.

annapi | 4914 comments This has been on my TBR forever - I will have to get around to it soon!